Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Turtle Breeding

(1/8) > >>

Slitherrr:
I noticed after buying cages from the elves (my elf-killing trap isn't finished yet, to my shame) that two of them have turtles in them. If I stick them in a pit/pond, will more turtles magically appear with them? I have the misfortune of being in an area where I can't get shells (at least, until I can find cave lobsters in the cavern level, which I hope is the case).

VerdantSF:
Not sure, but if no one gets back to you with a firm answer, try it out and let us know the results!  Dwarven science!

Dave Mongoose:
I think turtles (and other small aquatic things) are still considered 'vermin' and so don't breed like normal animals... then again, they do have genders now so I'm not sure.

If the cages they are in are in the list when you build a cage (with b -> j), then it has changed and they are treated like normal animals so go ahead and stick them in a pool (although probably best to tame them first).

If not then they are probably in small cages (which are used for 'Capture Live Land Animal' at the kennel) and they'd just wander off if you released them. If you build some glass cages you can have an aquarium for them, though!

Hyperturtle:
Turtle breeding would be most excellent.  I know from my own pets that amorous turtles do exist...

Then you can make dwarven turtle egg omlettes!  hard to think of turtles as vermin, though.  However, as pets they DO make a big mess.. they are like crap factories (sort of like dwarfs)

Dave Mongoose:

--- Quote from: Hyperturtle on May 03, 2010, 12:08:17 pm ---hard to think of turtles as vermin, though.

--- End quote ---
I mean in game terms they are vermin: they don't show up when you use the [v]iew units tool, you can't attack them with military, they don't set off traps, they spawn anywhere suitable (i.e. near rivers), etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version