Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The REALLY dumb ideas thread.  (Read 4711 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: The REALLY dumb ideas thread.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »

I modded the Piecemaker into .40d. Its ammunition did 800 GORE damage. Thanks to a series of misunderstandings and oversights on my part on my part, it became a goblin-only weapon.
That was the end of my "everyone has mining enabled, everyone gets an iron pick" experiment in fortress defence.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 11:06:43 am »

I was watching the old Harryhausen movie The Golden Voyage of Sinbad the other day, and was inspired to create this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROssbvtE41U

I haven't tested it yet though.

(The death of the villain (6:15 onwards here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHxoBsIDQOM just confirmed that this film is made of Dwarf Fortress).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »

What are the odds of we being able to make a gun that shoots swords?
Not ammo named "swords" that come in stacks, but individually forged swords?

We need a forgotten beast that has every conceivable raw and limb attached to them. Name it "Creation" or something oddly meaningful. Of course, to be able the have so many such parts, the thing would probably have to be the size of a planet.
I think that's possible if we make an entry in the "body_rcp" file with all the existing limbs. If I'm not mistaken, that file is from where the forgotten beasts get their body parts from. Of course, other creatures that are generated like them would also be able to adquire these parts, and since they are randomly generated, who knows when you'll finally the one beast with the thousand bodyparts, but stil... maybe it'll work.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 05:28:21 pm »

Very, very low.

Edit: There is an alternative, which would involve making a reaction which takes a sword and converts it to a nigh-identical ammo item. I remember this being done with anvils somewhere...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:29:56 pm by 3 »

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »

Very, very low.

Edit: There is an alternative, which would involve making a reaction which takes a sword and converts it to a nigh-identical ammo item. I remember this being done with anvils somewhere...

You can't mark swords with the [AMMO:BOLT] (or properly-formatted equivalent) tag?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 05:53:54 pm »

Err... I haven't specifically tried it in 0.31, but last version ammo items and weapons were two distinct item classes.

And... yep, it's still that way now.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 06:00:32 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22612.msg737121#msg737121

It didn't really work though, because ammo couldn't have weight in 40d, so It was just a high-damage arrow with a really heavy launcher. With fire speeds and ammo sizes now, one can be made that actually has insane bludgeon damage but a very low range. Something like this:

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2010, 08:11:58 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22612.msg737121#msg737121

It didn't really work though, because ammo couldn't have weight in 40d, so It was just a high-damage arrow with a really heavy launcher. With fire speeds and ammo sizes now, one can be made that actually has insane bludgeon damage but a very low range. Something like this:
Anvil-Fall Traps anyone?

Come to think of it, I think Wile E. Coyote must have previously been owned by dwarves. Just look at all the crap he does/builds to catch that one Roadrunner. Why else would he also invest in so many ACME products, despite their high failure rates? Because: ACME = Always Created to Massacre Elves. Reason they tend to not work so well with speedy roadrunners.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:28:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2010, 10:18:01 pm »

Actualy you could make an anvil trap that way. Just give the launcher a minimun size of way bigger than dwarf, and install it in a weapon trap.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 06:37:00 am »

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_TOOTHPICK]
[NAME:toothpick:toothpicks]
[SIZE:1]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:1]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:EDGE:1:1:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]

In case you can't tell, this weapon is... pretty bad.

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:41 am »

Not so much an idea as an accident; I made a reaction that produces giant cave spider silk from stone, yet managed to freeze my dwarf solid.  Generally useless, unless I need to remove a thermally vulnerable noble :P

I would love to see a tunneling lava worm.  It would enter the map via a magma pipe and proceed to tunnel to its intended destination.  Kinda like a flaming version of the monsters from Tremors :D

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 07:16:37 am »

Toothpicks! Excellent, now to see how many toothpick armed gnomes it takes to kill a dragon.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 02:16:49 am »

Here are useless magic wands from A to Z.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 02:30:41 am »

A poison that causes near-permanent sleep. Too lazy to make the raws right now.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »

And then you can make a rare caste of dwarf that has the sleep poison for blood, and is completely indistinguishable from regular dorfs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4