Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Great Construction Competition  (Read 2814 times)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Construction Competition
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

I began construction on a floating castle (complete with self-destruct button!) the other day, but got bored after a bit. If I ever finish I'll show you guys.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

Heh, I tried an oceanic fortress...   tried might be an overstatement, but still...  It was a nice blacksandy beach with a massive magma vent right at it. Some 7-8 tiles through the sand, and there's magma, one level above the ocean. It had a saltwater aquifer, so I abandoned after my main miner got injured (stupidly, as always - tried to run across a ramp to complete a channel while it was filling with magma). I even tried dismantling the bed from under him and putting a booze stockpile on top, but it didn't work. (maybe because the barrel turned out to be empty? we'll never know) Anyways, I then smashed my waterpump that was used to farm obsidian (no rock otherwise; it was part of this system the injured miner tried to complete), and broke the chamber wall to flood the ocean with magma. It did a bit of hissing, but went no further than that. It seems ocean waves push magma away without actually cooling them...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 12:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen
<STRONG>Actually, a maze MUST be in a map with an aquifer! A hell of a challenge, but think - the adventurer creeps into the final room, takes the prize... a pressure plate lifts... and the entire maze begins to flood veryveryvery quickly.   :D</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
It would be difficult, but the maze walls could be lined with floodgates.</STRONG>

This would be the perfect place for one of the water powered timers that have been disscused. With the floodgates opening in a sequence at different times following the initial activation.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 01:06:00 am »

That would suck.

"Tosid was nearly there. He was looking the treasure in the face: The Lost Statue of Captain Bigglesworth's Divorced Wife, the Eternal Kobold Maiden Fleegranis. The exit was right in front of him. But he knew there would be traps, there always were. There was no way around it, though, so he went for it, grabbing the statue and running toward the door in one action. And the instant he grabbed the statue he heard the sound of thunder: looking down the tunnel behind him was a wall of rushing water. He ran like hell."

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!
Pages: 1 [2]