Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Never Have any Seeds!  (Read 1551 times)

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Never Have any Seeds!
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:49:01 pm »

Whenever I embark, and I try to farm, I have no seeds to plant. Why?

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Never Have any Seeds!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:11:22 pm »

You need to make sure you have plump helmet spawn at the embark screen. Then once you make a farm plot and irrigate it you need to make sure you have plump helmet highlighted all year round.

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »

You need to make sure you have plump helmet spawn at the embark screen. Then once you make a farm plot and irrigate it you need to make sure you have plump helmet highlighted all year round.

Ahh alright. What are my alternatives to farming, since i've embarked with a good fortress sans the farm?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:39 pm »

butchering and (new with this addition) milking!
a dairy is far more recyclable then butchering, but it takes a bit of work to set up
for the time being, butcher any starting animals, as migrants come with plenty.
alternatively, set up a manager and take a look at your seed stocks to see if you have any seeds that aren't going to use
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:19:26 pm »

a dairy is far more recyclable then butchering, but it takes a bit of work to set up
alternatively, set up a manager and take a look at your seed stocks to see if you have any seeds that aren't going to use

Thank you, and forgive me for my newbishness, but how do I  designate an animal for butchering?

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:27:24 pm »

Thank you, and forgive me for my newbishness, but how do I  designate an animal for butchering?

z brings up the stocks menu. Go to animals and press b on any UNOWNED animal.

Also, plump helmets leave seeds behind when you eat them (I THINK) or brew them (I know), so you SHOULD be able to farm.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:28:57 pm »

we all had to start somewhere
use [V]iew like you would view a dwarf, go to the [P] screen and press [S)laughter.  Your dwarf with the butcher labor enabled (which you likely will have to assign) will take it to your butcher work shop (which you must build) and cut it into pieces, which can be eaten or made into meals with a kitchen workshop.  The other components you get out of butchering are also helpful, bones which can be made into crafts, arrows, crossbows or decorations, fat which can be rendered and made into soap (which is possible to make, but has to be done through the [J]obs menu, rather then the soapmaker's workshop), hides which can be made into leather and some others which I am probably forgetting.

EDIT: sorry about the strike
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:12:55 pm by ISGC »

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »

we all had to start somewhere
use [V]iew like you would view a dwarf, go to the [P] screen and press laughter.  Your dwarf with the butcher labor enabled (which you likely will have to assign) will take it to your butcher work shop (which you must build) and cut it into pieces, which can be eaten or made into meals with a kitchen workshop.  The other components you get out of butchering are also helpful, bones which can be made into crafts, arrows, crossbows or decorations, fat which can be rendered and made into soap (which is possible to make, but has to be done through the [J]obs menu, rather then the soapmaker's workshop), hides which can be made into leather and some others which I am probably forgetting.

I cannot TELL you how helpfull you are :)

I did that, but now nothing is happening :(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:42:21 pm by Kraftwerk »

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:52:15 pm »

If you run out of animals, you can also use herbalism to get food from surface shrubs (enable the labor for one or more dwarves, then (d)esignate an area of shrubs for gathering). After these are eaten/brewed, most produce seeds that can be planted on the surface without seasonal restrictions or the need for muddy ground. As long as you're in a biome that has shrubs (i.e. not a glacier, desert, or wasteland) you can easily sustain your fort this way.

Disclaimer: Surface farming can cause side effects including pointy ears, wooden weapons, cannibalism, tree-hugging, and a tendency to be covered in magma.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »

make sure you have a butcher shop, animals to butcher and a butcherer, then he will haul an animal to his shop and you will get "so and so cow has been struck down" and its various components will be moved to their various stock piles and bins.  if you have not created stock piles/bins, you should probably get on that as the items will rot and release miasma if left in the butcher shop (undergound)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:53:01 am »

Once the next DF2010 version is released, the fishing bug will be fixed so fishing will be a viable way to feed your fort again. Trading for food supplements your supplies but ideally should not be relied on to be your main food income. Make sure all food is moved to stockpiles, else they will rot away.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 08:11:10 am »

Whenever I embark, and I try to farm, I have no seeds to plant. Why?
Actually, you almost certainly do have seeds to plant.  What you are seeing is a bug in DF2010 in which underground soil needs to be irrigated before it can be farmed, even if it's soil or loam or sand or something similar.  Un-muddied underground farm plots give you the "no seeds for this location" message.  You need to dig out a space for a farm, then arrange for water to muddy it (via pumping or bucket brigade or channeling or whatever), then make the farm there.  Once you do that you will be able to plant and grow food.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 08:42:51 am »

how is that a bug? It kind of makes sense, since underground there is no rain.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05:00 am »

how is that a bug? It kind of makes sense, since underground there is no rain.
It's a bug in that it's unintentional.  Underground farms on soil didn't need irrigation in previous versions, and weren't intended to in this version, but something in all the many changes since 40d unintentionally changed that.  It may actually make more sense this way (although I would argue that underground farms don't make sense at all) but it's still a bug, and will probably be fixed in a future release.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:10:09 am »

If your plot lists no crops, yet you have seeds, its because you didn't irigate.  If you have no seeds, just get more on embark.  Default embark only gives like 5 seeds.  You should get a large number.  They are 1 point each so you have no excuse not to bring many.  Plus if you bring an odd number like 21, you'll get a free bag.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: [1] 2