Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

The Murder of Melbil Olinadag.

(1/1)

Kamudo:
So, I'm playing Fort mode on the new version for the first time, and I'm completely clueless on most of new military features, so I was like, "Okay, who cares about Military I'll be fine." So at the start of year two, My planter, Melbil, was walking back to the fort after just planting some Plump Helmets when suddenly, two ambushes of about 5 Kobold Archers/Crossbowmen appeared on both sides of him, and quickly surrounded him, And began firing their weapons upon him, After about 50 or so arrows/bolts were fired, I looked on the wiki for how to attack. Sadly, by the time they reached him, he was riddled with about 50 more arrows/bolts and died of blood loss shortly after the fighting began.

I thought this was actually pretty badass. Seeing so many arrows and bolts fly towards him at once, and then my dwarves running out to help. Too bad he's dead though.

-Goes back to watch the fight continue-

nekoexmachina:
I am now kind of emotional about my dwarves, and thank god that i'm not you.

Kamudo:
I know. The dwarves have much more personality now. So it's a bit upsetting to see him go. Though it was still kinda cool. x_x

We only killed one Kobold in the end, and my Pikeman died. -Sigh-

At least I've got a nice tomb going.

Proteus:
That reminds me of a past fortress...
my fortress walls were almost completed, with just a 5 tile wide gap remaining,
that was left  because I hadnīt all drawbeidges completed yet.

Suddenly out of nowhere I get my first goblin ambush.
8 bowgoblins which first take out a mason on the castle walls.

I immerdiately order my dwarfs into the fortress,
but for strange reasons one  of my dwarves still stays outside.

The goblins  detect him, peppering him with arrows, but he still wonīt die.
After they have expended  all of their arrows they aproach him (who already has several pages of wounds)
and beat him up with their bows.
At this moment I am  ready to launch my militia (miners with pickaxes) to engage the enemies.
While they werenīt able to save said dwarf (he died of  blood loss, shortly after my  militia arrived),
they were able to drive away the goblins (who  were easy targets with arrows all their arrows expended)
without further lossses, killing 5 of them.

The sacrifice of this dwarf saved my whole fortress from sure doom

nekoexmachina:
Also, a couple of fortresses ago i got pretty bad siege situation (well, because of my own planning-dubmness, of course, but still).
When the message about a siege showed up i've put all of my civs inside, and took mils near the entrance.
The entrance was like a huge stone tube with some traps near the enter.
Then i just unpaused the game and started waiting. That time, the game was spamming lots of 'can not take $item: forbidden area' messages, and i did not see the whole situation inside. The next thing i saw about a 5 minutes later - was my millitary surrounded.
As i rebuilt it with my imagination & corpses/blood later, the thing that happend was very, very stupid: lone troll (well.. It was some thing like troll from genesis mod, don't remember exactly) got into my meeting hall where almost 80% of my fortress was hanging out, through the water-system: it was just a 1-tile open channel (with no floodgates, no grates, nothing to stop creatures). I've removed all the ramps inside the channel, and so i thought that everything should be OK. But i've got my miner out of that channel with.. stairs that i did not remove.
Those 80% were killed really fast, it probably took troll only 1 punch per dwarf to kill him.
The battle outside was not so bad due to steel weapons and armor, but only guys that survived that siege were half-of-a-squad mills and some civs that were too busy deep underground (miners and weaponsmith)
That was kind of epic for me, and the grave-hall somehow made me to think of Moria.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version