Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Magmanauts

(1/1)

MacMahoon:
So I was trying to explore my magma sea by deploying my faithful Magmanauts? (kittens) straight into the magma pipe. However I have hit a snag.
Kittens float ??? I tried other domestic creatures and they all float. I decided I needed a new plan.
Naturally my first instinct was to build a magma sub out of fortifications and send my Magmanauts straight to the bottom but I need to know something. Do constructions in the new version deconstruct when they are separated from the ground and therefore not carry my explorers to the bottom? or will they deconstruct when they hit the bottom and carry my kittens to their mission?

Exiledhero99:
I saw a topic on subs about a week ago. He had confirmed the ability to send things down in subs.

Duane:
Not necessarily ALIVE, but you're looking to kill them anyway, so whatever.

opsneakie:
I'd refer you to this thread, where we're currently discussing the possibility of living dwarves under water/magma.

As far as your concern with deconstruction, I'm reasonably certain that constructed walls deconstruct immediately, but cast obsidian does not. You might therefore be able to drop a cast obsidian tank down with a kitten to explore the pipe.

Quatch:
Since you're killing the passanger anyway, just drop some walls and a floor (not constructed, but mined). Then they'll die of magma (hopefully after looking out the fortifications), not insta-crush.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version