Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma pump stack materials  (Read 1973 times)

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma pump stack materials
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:46 am »

I've ready over the wiki and maybe i'm not quit understanding, or maybe it isn't clear.  Does a screw pump have to be magma safe or fire safe to pump magma.  Furthermore, which parts need to be safe?  All of them or just the block?
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma pump stack materials
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:12:12 am »

In version 40d, it was enough for all of the parts to be fire-safe unless the pump ever got covered by magma.

In the new version, the parts all need to be magma-safe because magma heats up things near it (not just things that are underneath it). Thankfully, there are a lot more magma safe materials now so it isn't a big problem.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:17:46 am »

If you have sand on your map you can make all the needed components from green glass which is magma proof and sand is infinte in supply so if you do have sand, by all means use it for all your pumps.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:18:37 am »

In version 40d, it was enough for all of the parts to be fire-safe unless the pump ever got covered by magma.

In the new version, the parts all need to be magma-safe because magma heats up things near it (not just things that are underneath it). Thankfully, there are a lot more magma safe materials now so it isn't a big problem.

Unless there's now a special case with magma in pumps, I don't see how pumps would need to be specifically magma-safe - an earlier check in 0.31.03 with dtil's Tile Editor (using an extremely patchwork memory.ini, just barely enough to connect - it'd show the properties for a nearby tile, not the exact one selected) suggested that magma still only heats neighboring walls/floors to a temperature of 10100 (that is, 132°F) while heating its own tiles to 12000 (2032°F), which is exactly how it behaved back in 40d.

If you have sand on your map you can make all the needed components from green glass which is magma proof and sand is infinte in supply so if you do have sand, by all means use it for all your pumps.

Is glass still magma-safe in 0.31?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:39 am »

Glass pipes and screws are still magma-safe in 0.31.  I have not yet tested glass blocks since rock blocks are cheaper to make.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:23:21 am »

You know what, I need to check that out, because I am not sure now.  :o

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:28 am »

Well I've started production for a completely magma safe pump.  A little extra work but no big deal. Thanks :)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:53:34 am »

Okay, so I've just done a quick test: magma pumps made from wood, copper, iron, green glass, and clear glass.

Wood caught fire instantly after it was turned on. Copper, iron, green glass, and clear glass all seem to still be working, at least when operated manually (couldn't be bothered to bring mechanical power down 100 Z-levels in this test embark - could probably try again on a volcano, but somebody else is welcome to do that test), despite the fact that copper is not magma-safe.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:38:28 pm »

Excellent info.  So I'm thinking anything fire safe should be fine pending the pump is not submerged in magma?

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 01:02:31 pm »

I just make all of mine out of iron from the 10 billion ore that I run across.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:18 pm »

Glass pipes and screws are still magma-safe in 0.31.  I have not yet tested glass blocks since rock blocks are cheaper to make.
Interesting.  I've heard reports that all-glass pumps deconstruct in v31, but if mostly-glass ones work, that's still a big timesaver.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »

Okay, so I've just done a quick test: magma pumps made from wood, copper, iron, green glass, and clear glass.

Wood caught fire instantly after it was turned on. Copper, iron, green glass, and clear glass all seem to still be working, at least when operated manually (couldn't be bothered to bring mechanical power down 100 Z-levels in this test embark - could probably try again on a volcano, but somebody else is welcome to do that test), despite the fact that copper is not magma-safe.
I've heard reports of green glass pumps deconstructing in v31.  Sometimes they do sometimes they don't, and it can take a long time before it happens.  (Even in 40d apparently, though they were ALMOST totally reliable there.)  It may have to do with temperature, takes a bit to warm up?  and if it's cool enough around it maybe it won't.  Wonder if they could be watercooled.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:47:11 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 01:53:23 pm »

What if magma flows into the walkable tile of the pump?
Akur Akir Akam!

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:23 pm »

Fun happens.

(I think if the pump is made of magma-safe materials, then nothing happens (unless it can leak down your stairs or something). Any non-magma-safe materials will deconstruct. Probably, I don't actually know.)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 02:33:26 pm »

Were the pumps situated over magma on the z level below?  My tests in 40d showed that as long as the pumps had no magma below then that wood would pump magma indefinitely as well.  I am kind of curious now and cant wait to get home from work and do some !!science!!.

---
I couldnt wait.  I did a quick test and under all circumstances wooden pumps immediately explode when attempting to pump magma.  Right now I have a dwarf (modded for no sleeping, eating, drinking, and no exertion) running a pure glass pump nonstop with no signs of problems yet, will test some other scenarios soon.

---
OK, curious about the qualities of green glass pumps I took and mined out a 4x3 room and installed a green glass pump in the middle of the room with space on all sides and pumped it full of magma, and so far it is sitting in there, completely sumbmerged in magma and is showing no signs of deconstruction yet.  The next step is to rig up some way to power the pump so that its actively pumping magma while completely submerged.

---
Sumbersion test so far showing no problems with green glass pumps working completely submerged in magma.

I am going to say that it is a safe bet that green glass is still magma safe and acceptable for use in magma pumping operations.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:11:52 pm by gtmattz »
Pages: [1] 2