Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving Rocks Around  (Read 3259 times)

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving Rocks Around
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:41 pm »

How do I get my dorfs to pull some rocks out of the way so my wall can be built?

I tried flagging the rocks for dumping and setting a nearby dump zone, which worked when I was clearing my farm, but it's not working now.
I'm on 31.03, if it's relevant.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Rocks Around
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:19:21 pm »

• Stone Stockpile. Don't do this, unless you want to (f)orbid all the stone you don't want moved.
  • Moving Workshops. Build a mason's workshop or craft shop next to the place you want cleared, and build blocks/rock crafts/doors/tables/etc on repeat.
  • Check to see if you HAVE a dump zone, and if you designated it properly. (i.e. active, and set to dumping zone).
  • Pump pressurized water through it. Water will push stones.
  • Pump magma into the area. Magma solves everything. Unless the rocks are magma-proof.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:18 pm »

If the rocks are marked to be used for any construction, dwarves will refuse to touch them except to build the construction they are marked for.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:56:51 pm »

Is it outside? If so, go to o>r>then toggle 'dwarves ignore outside refuse' Beware, though, as they will then scatter all over the map grabbing every piece of trash outside to haul to the refuse pile. But they will dump the stone.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »

So long as there is no task assigned to the object dwarves will move it just fine.

If there is a task assigned to it then the object cannot be moved, so it will interrupt construction.

For example, if you order a wall to be built using a rock sitting on the ground, but then order a ton more walls also build, the most recent jobs will be assigned first, but a job will be created for all wall segments. The dwarves will always do the most recent jobs first. But there is now a job assigned to that rock.

If you attempt to build a wall where that already assigned rock is sitting the job will be canceled until the rock is used for the job, because objects with jobs are not moveable by normal means. You can still push them with a flow or drop them with a cave-in or off of a bridge, but that will completely cancel the job related to that object. If it is a partially constructed object, like a pump, and the last piece gets pushed/moved out of place then the pump will deconstruct, and everything attached to it will also deconstruct.

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:47:05 pm »

Thank you all!

Ended up going with a nearby craft shop.