Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf won't stop training!  (Read 3238 times)

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf won't stop training!
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:44:18 pm »

Okay here what happened. I got a peasant Migrant with 1 skill; Skilled Intimidator, because he was trash i made him an axedwarf, and he has been training nonstop since then. Then he makes an artifact cobaltite scepter and now he actually has a worthwhile skill, so I take him out the military to make mugs for the rest of his life, but he refuses to stop training! Does anyone know how to fix this?

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf won't stop training!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:03 am »

Yeah, this happened to me too. I had a dwarf in the military, he kept doing the Individual Combat Drill (he was also generally retarded and had pathfinding problems where other dwarves had none, maybe that has something to do with it). Then I decided I needed a bookkeeper, so I took him out of the squad and appointed him to be the bookkeeper and he still kept training (stopping only sometimes to eat and drink). When my fort was later overrun by goblins, he was in the barracks and put up quite a good fight, but I never managed to get him to do some record keeping...
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:55:07 am »

Known Bug. Once dwarves start training in a barracks, they will never ever do any civilian work ever again. No matter what.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:00:06 am »

Known Bug. Once dwarves start training in a barracks, they will never ever do any civilian work ever again. No matter what.

WHAT?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:02:09 am »

NOOOOO!  :-[ Are you serious? That sucks.  :'(

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:24:58 am »

Yep, get used to it.  I've got a number of legendary craftsdwarves who're in the military and that's all they do.  However, I've noticed military dwarves with hauling enabled who will do hauling tasks.  It just seems they won't ever do anything useful.

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:45:14 am »

yep, this bug is most annoying.  I had one military dwarf go into a mood and become a legendary armoursmith!  But I could not get him to make any armour no matter what I tried.

He was able to do hauling even though I had disabled his hauling preferences after he became legendary.  I think that once they join the military their job preferences become locked in and there's nothing you can do to change them after the fact.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:48:29 am by Richard »