Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Cult of Armok: Commandments From on High [Community]  (Read 1217 times)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
The Cult of Armok: Commandments From on High [Community]
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:46:53 am »

Hey!

I'd like to start a community game. The idea is to use the standard "Urist & Eve" challenge, with Armok (you) issuing a commandment once per year. Starting out there will be no restrictions, but as you add to the list all commandments will be followed at all times. When a commandment is broken, Urist will commune with the lord and ask what punishments must be meted out.

So, in the first year you could state that trading with outsiders is forbidden, but if you do that no trading will be permitted ever again. You could the following year order that Urist trade for all trombones - then he would be forced to break the first commandment or the second commandment each year, and come to you for punishment and forgiveness.

You could mandate the construction of a giant temple or the sacrifice of a child as punishments, etc. If you specify that no work may occur until the temple is complete, then there's a good chance the fortress will starve to death. You get the idea.

I have spent the past month learning 40d and feel I understand the game pretty well, so I would feel comfortable playing that version of the game. However you can decide whether I should risk moving to 31.03 with the attendant bugs and Fun. Let me know and tomorrow we'll pick an embark.

First two to claim the founders can name them and select professions. One will be male, one female. It will be slow going until the children start coming of age, but I think Armok's Will might be to edit the raws on that issue... speaking of that I will also be capping the population and turning off the economy. Any migrants that show up anyway will be drafted and quietly disposed of.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The Cult of Armok: Commandments From on High [Community]
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:58:21 am »

Name: Urist the Survivor
Profession: Mechanic/Mason/Farmer

Commandment: Thou shalt not go On Break.

Punishment: Get impaled by an upright (no-quality) silver spike.

Use 40d.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:13:35 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:34:43 am »

Morul the Warrior
Profession: Woodcutter / Axedwarf

Commandment: Thou shall kill at least five creatures in the first year.

Punishment: Activate them and make them sleep on the ground.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:41 am »

Duh, to late...

Commandment: Thou and thy family shall cut down at least 5 trees for each family member
Punishment: Thy entire clan shall live for the next year like elves!!!
(Means: being disgusted by wood; no sleeping in wooden beds! No curring down trees, no working with wood. no toughing dead wood etc)

That one should be fun with a greater family >:D
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

Hey guys,

On further reflection I decided not to do this, as it seems like the adam & eve thing will be way too slow. I might revisit the idea of commandments later.