Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Stranger Moods!  (Read 12378 times)

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Stranger Moods!
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:19 am »

I was just wondering what other stranger moods there could be... I mean fey, secretive and posessed are cool and stuff, but they basically do the same thing... fell and macable are so rare, that I have never witnessed one. Well, the idea sprung into my mind when I, accidentally, after misreading something, came up with this:

Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Then the dwarf would proceed to claim another dwarf of the opposite sex of his liking. (maybe even a engaged/married one). The target dwarf will have little chance to resist the divine charm of the moody dwarf and directly follow him/her... and... well, you know the works... The encounter would give both dwarves a very happy thought. Naturally, the spouse/love interest of the dwarves in question might develop grudges on these events...  Then, "nine months later":

Dwarf has given birth to [named dwarf child], a legendary boy/girl.
Dwarf cancelled store item in bin: seeking infant.

The child would have one legendary skill randomly picked from the skills both parents are good at. It would even show up in the artifacts section!

Any other ideas for any strange moods, that basically... well, could use or create anything?
The weirder the better.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:00:56 pm by TigerPlushie »

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stranger Moods!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:11:33 am »

That's just... wrong...

We don't need dwarven rapists.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 04:12:52 am »

That's just... wrong...

We don't need dwarven rapists.

Nobody ever complained when james bond shaggs a woman.
I am not talking rape here. I'm talking a random dwarf turning into an ultracharming DIVINE love machine.
The encounter could give the other dwarf a VERY happy thought :3c Think of it... like a filthy dwarf suddenly, with the power of the gods, turns into Chef from South Park. "I'm gonna make love to you womaaaan... gonna lay you down by the magma..."

...In fact... I should add that...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:41:04 am by TigerPlushie »

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:40:33 am »

Are you twelve years old or is this a creepy fetish thing

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:42:01 am »

Sheesh.
Is there a humor shortage or what

:|

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:44:18 am »

Architect moods. The urge to build a shrine to Armok compels him/her!
"I must have a meeting zone!" And then they build a shrine somewhere within the meeting zone and the flock gathers around this new shiny shrine that is decorated with rings of elf bone, goblin skulls and menaces with spikes of steel. Blood may or may not flow endlessly from it.

Farmer moods. They demand a free plot of land to grow something mysterious upon!
As soon as a free spot is made with no plans of cultivation, they grab a seed or two or even three and get to work, fussing furiously over the plot. Then the madness passes and a few months later, the first of a hybrid plant species blooms. Behold, the sweet helmet/plump tail/cave pod/dimple wheat!

OCPD mood! They are demanding for these items, and by Armok, they will have EXACTLY these items! Pig tail cloth! Giant cave spider silk! Cave spider thread! Steel bars! Adamantine wafers! Cut rubies! Cut emeralds! Rough rubies! NOW NOW NOW! Prone to go insane a lot faster than other moods over the stress of lacking such basic materials in a fort like theirs.

Excessive mood! They will only search out the finest of materials, only the most expensive metals, only the most well-done cloth and thread, only the most shiniest of stones and gems. Will most likely generate a dwarven bling item and carry it with them for the rest of their life.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 04:45:19 am »

/\ /\ /\

Love this!

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 04:48:14 am »

When I read 'excessive mood', all I could think of was I NEED FOUR THOUSAND FRIGGING ROCKS RIGHT THE HELL NOW.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 04:52:10 am »

When I read 'excessive mood', all I could think of was I NEED FOUR THOUSAND FRIGGING ROCKS RIGHT THE HELL NOW.

To make one granite earring.

That actually would be kind of a useful mood. Can we get one that vaccuums up roach parts?

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:55:02 am »

To make one granite earring.

That actually would be kind of a useful mood. Can we get one that vaccuums up roach parts?

You mean like a macable mood for cooks? :P

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 05:06:10 am »

The sex mood idea is actually a pretty good one. We already have "possessions", which is basically a god or a spirit of an ancestor coming down to the world and making a dwarf do something. Having legendary, chosen dwarves imbued with the power of a god from birth would be pretty awesome. Maybe the god could impregnate the woman directly, but the original idea isn't that bad either.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 05:08:32 am »

The sex mood idea is actually a pretty good one. We already have "possessions", which is basically a god or a spirit of an ancestor coming down to the world and making a dwarf do something. Having legendary, chosen dwarves imbued with the power of a god from birth would be pretty awesome. Maybe the god could impregnate the woman directly, but the original idea isn't that bad either.

TigerPlushie cancelled reading forum: Went down to his knees

Thank you, finally! Finally someone who actually found it funny (and a good idea too)

UmmonTL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 05:20:15 am »

I think the dwarf-lovin' mood idea has merit. To stop them from being conceived as rape I would suggest that if the dwarf that is "in the mood" (I kill me  :P) has a dwarf that he/she is already romatically  involved with then that dwarf is obviously the target of the mood. Otherwise a random single dwarf of the opposite sex is chosen, the result is that they are instantly in a relationship.
Regarding the legendary child:
  • Skills it gets should be independent of the parents professions but belong to one skill category.
  • The skills should all be from the non-moodable skill list but also include the non-job skills (military skills, social skills, etc.) but...
  • He should get one or two legendary skills and several high/grand master skills depending on how many skills are available in that category
  • The child should grow up faster, start with higher physical and mental attributes, have more positive aspects and be less prone to bad thoughts. (or rather less affected by them)
What this can result in:
Category engineering -> Mechanics is moodable so we get a legendary siege engineer/siege operator and grand master pump operator.
Military Skills -> (Should be limited to one weapon skill) Legendary armor user + high master kicker, biter, dodger, fighter and maybe a master swordsdwarf. (Would be good if the teacher skill can also come up as a military skill)
Social Skills -> Legendary consoler, grand master liar and conversationalist, high master negotiator, appraiser and judge of intent.

Generally it would be a great way to get dwarves with skills that are hard to train and will usually not be chosen on embark.

Regarding Ieb's ideas, I would not make moods that are even harder to please. Losing an important dwarf to a mood because you don't have shells can be bad enough so the OCPD/Excessive moods should only choose what is already available in the fortress. OCPD might still want you to fell that mango tree in the middle of a raid or one of the fungiwood trees in the caves below and Excessive will probably want those diamonds mined and the platin ore smelted but at least they would be doable.

Farmer mood could create cave-adapted strawberries or maybe fungiwood seed so you can plant your own wood.

More mood ideas:
Cleaning mood -> The dwarf demands soap, gets double movement speed or more and in a day your entire fort is squeaky clean.
Surgeon mood ->  :o ...horrible abominations of science >:D
Animal trainer mood -> Legendary war beast  :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:22:35 am by UmmonTL »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 05:38:38 am »

My idea of excessive was that the dwarf just scanned the fort as it is and gets all the best stuff. Not that they start demanding for better things.

And I didn't see that this thread was "Fair Moods".
I could watch through mental disorders all day and come up with moods based on them.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 05:52:00 am »

Eh, dont like the Frisky Mood idea. First, thats just weird. No better way to say it. Second, this would result in a lot more grinding. DF + Grinding = Bad. I dont want to grind to get all horny dwarves to make high-quality dwarf children.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5