Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Tile Magic  (Read 35731 times)

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tile Magic
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 02:19:44 am »

sweet graphics man. 

will i have to upgrade my graphics card?

^_^

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 04:00:26 am »

This is awesome.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 05:13:12 am »

This is major "why the hell did I not think of that?" idea.

Great job.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 06:40:20 am »

Thanks!

I just re-uploaded my graphics set, because apparently I'm limited
to 10 downloads on RapidShare. Which is totally lame. So I'm done with them.

But the DF file depot is vastly superior anyway.
So here you go if you want to check it out.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 08:06:52 pm »

Hey guys! Little out of context here, but check it out:

I've completely reworked my rough ground tiles for v.0.20 of my graphics set.

Go check it out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:14 am »

Holy ****.

That is hands down the BEST looking terrain I have ever seen in DF. The shading alone blows my mind. I can't wait for Mike and others to pick up your handiwork and apply it to their own tilesets.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 04:28:46 pm »

Thanks!

...not to sound proud, but is there a problem with my tileset?
If there's a reason that Mike's is better, I want to know so I can step it up. = P

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 05:05:02 pm »

I think it's not a question of quality- it's just that peopl downloading a given pack will get used to it because switching to a different tileset requires meddling with raw tile settings and most want to avoid it. Thankfully, full graphics support will make this problem obsolete.

And yes, these ground symbols are excellent. so if you don't mind, I'll be glad to lovingly rip them off you ;)
<3

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 05:14:23 pm »

Hey hey. Can we use the tile magic thing for the old hamfish problem? :D

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 06:43:54 am »

Yeah, I suppose so... you could make the ham the white part and the fins and stuff the transparent part. Maybe I'll look at that later.

Mike: sure, go ahead. Just so long as I get credit for them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 12:40:50 am »

I think it's not a question of quality- it's just that peopl downloading a given pack will get used to it because switching to a different tileset requires meddling with raw tile settings and most want to avoid it. Thankfully, full graphics support will make this problem obsolete.

What he said. I started with Mayday, it's how DF looks in my head now. If someone could make a mod that could randomly select between everyone's tilesets for the appropriate tiles...I'd use everyone's :P I also meant your shading tech, not your tileset per se.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 04:21:56 pm »

That is some crazy awesome tilework. I'll be sitting here drooling for a few hours now. Don't mind me.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 11:44:36 pm »

I tried out your tileset earlier today, I thought I'd give you some feedback:

Pros:
 - I really liked the font
 - Ground tiles were as good as advertised
 - Trees and especially underground vegetation looks great
 - The differences between stone types is somewhat muted, which makes burrowing through microcline or orthoclase a little less painful for the eyes
 - No weird tile for bauxite, which is good because it's no longer special

Cons:
 - It was a little dark for my taste, particularly above ground.  It's probably just from being accustomed to something else (I usually use Mayday's and Phoebus's graphics packs).
 - I like a little more definition for the ores
 - When choosing an embark location, some of the tiles in the far-left window (the local region) were black until I moved the local embark region over them

All in all I really liked it, can't wait to see it when it's complete and full of graphics!

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 06:12:55 am »

Hey, thanks for the comments!

If you just downloaded my packaged version 0.10, that doesn't have the new ground tiles in it.
The old ones that you get with that set are WAY too dark. I don't disagree with that at all.
Or do you mean that you think the new ground tiles were too dark as well?

Ores are on the list coming up here pretty fast. But I've got a couple other things I want to do first.

And yeah, I noticed the problems with the embark map too...
I might have a look at that. It shouldn't be too hard to throw a transparent pixel here and there to make
those tiles show up when they're black-on-white (the way large mountains work right now).

0.20 will happen as soon as Tarn gives me a version that works with graphics.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »

Thanks!

...not to sound proud, but is there a problem with my tileset?
If there's a reason that Mike's is better, I want to know so I can step it up. = P

Lol good question, it's annoying sometimes when people don't give any constructive criticism.

Your set is far too dark for thing.  It's got the "quake look", as I call it, which is a common problem when people do stuff like this.  Basically the contrasts are too soft and over use of brownish colours leads to everything looking smudged and dark.  Another part of that is the detail of the tiles, which are very nice in themselves, when combined with the colour scheme and fine detail level it reduces it to a blur once in game.

A good example of this is the remains/bone/gore tile.  It's a great looking tile, but in game the "pile of bones" at the bottom kind of just becomes a bunch of squiggles and the skull loses definition, as it lacks contrast and the detail is too fine for the scale.
In comparison, mike's tile for the same function is a caricature style skull with a single bone, which stands out and has instant recognisability.  Mike's style in general is a little caricature with the "big headed" dwarfs which adds to the usability, but doesn't necessarily make it "better" looking sprite, but more accessible.

The font is possibly a little love or hate.  I love it except for the aforementioned brownness, but I'm sure a lot of people would be turned off by it's lack of uniformity and generally being a little unusual.
18x18 is also an unusual size which may put off people simply becasue it's not the norm and takes a little getting used to.  I quite like it as a size as it offers slightly more space on tile but for very little sacrifice in terms of viewable screen space.  But then again it makes a pain to mod or adjust with other tilesets as it is not the same scale.
Another point is that it can be difficult to tell the difference between same colour but difference material tiles, orthoclase looks very similar to gold and is tricky to tell the difference at a glance.  I'm sure you can tell the difference and I could too with practice but at first it's confusing and a little annoying.  Have in mind as well that people will be coming from using ascii, mike's, phoebus's(spelling?), or another popular set where things are much more readable and but less pretty. 

You would also get more downloads if you set was a little more visible.  People don't go to creative projects to look for a tileset they look on the mods forum, the wiki or google for DF tileset, I don't think any of those 3 would lead to your set.  Mike's is top result for "dwarf fortress tileset" on google so you have a uphill struggle to be more popular than his  :P

That said I really like what your doing and some of the tiles are really great, ground tiles and the chubby dwarfs in particular look really good in my opinion.
Longer post than I expected but I hope it helps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4