Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Tile Magic  (Read 35736 times)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Tile Magic
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 11:43:44 am »

I've been thinking about tile magic some more; its actually possible to get at least 6 different images from a single tile...

A + B are on the RGB channels, C is on the alpha channel.

White / White
Red / White
White / Black
Green / White
Green / Black
Red / Black
Black / White

Background colour could be anything, I just used white here. In fact, you could do the same Red/Green thing with whatever is drawn using the background colour, and there is also the blue channel - so potentially a lot more than 6 combinations?

apparently you can make 15 of them :)
1 red black A
2 green black B
3 blue black C
4 cyan black BC
5 yellow black AB
6 magenta black AC
7 white black ABC
8 red white AD
9 green white BD
10 blue white CD
11 cyan white BCD
12 yellow white ABD
13 magenta white ACD
14 white white ABCD
15 black white D

Update: Or of course you could just put a totally different image on each red, green, blue and alpha channel:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:14:57 pm by WormSlayer »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »

Very cool!

I guess the problem with our set is that we don't use pure red, green or blue as colors in the set...

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 12:04:55 am »

I really like this tileset idea, though it feels a little dark to me. o.o
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:45 am »

It's gotten a good deal brighter since that screenshot.
Go check it out on the official thread.

First link in my signature.

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 09:44:56 am »

Nothing else to say, just reassuring the fact that Ironhand, Wormslayer, you guys rule the fort. Carry on lads.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »

Is that barrel using ALTTILE?
No, ALTTILE only works with stuff that have RAWs. Like plants and animals.

If you got that barrel to alternate (i.e., animate) between two different tiles (or Tile Magic color swapping) without using ALTTILE, I'd love to learn how!  :o

From the wiki:
ALTTILE
If set, the creature will blink between its [TILE] and its [ALTTILE].

For a while I had been trying to figure out how to get a custom creature to alternate (e.g., blink) between two different tiles on a custom creature graphics .PNG. But after learning how CASTE_TILE and CASTE_ALTTILE only work with ASCII tile sets, I basically gave up on the idea:

There is [CASTE_TILE:], but as far as I can tell that ONLY works on the ascii tile set (in data/art). Once you assign a spot on the graphics set (in raw/graphics), it'll use that one entry for all, regardless of caste tiles. So no elaborate sets where there are unique graphics for both genders of each individual labor type. All of your fish cleaners are going to look the same.

You CAN modify a tile set if there's a small number of special somethings you want having unique caste graphics. If  you absolutely must have cows and bulls with different graphics, you can set aside tiles 171 and 172. But you're going to run out of space if you try to do something too big. Also, remember to remove cows (or whatever) from the relevant graphics entries. You want them to use their default ascii tiles.

PS: If... no, when we finally get full TrueType font support, do you think this will make it possible to have separate graphics for male and female dwarves? Or will that require a different kind of code change?

For a graphics mod can you have caste specific graphic tiles for the different caste types? Can you have a separate tile for a Queen Antman than you do for a Drone Antman? Can you have separate tiles for male and female dwarves and goblins?

CASTE_TILE is used for ASCII version of creature, I don't see anything specific in regarding to graphics which is sad. I hope Toady One makes it in someday.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2011, 10:40:15 pm »

Oh, wow. This thread has been dead for a while.

Better TTF support isn't going to fix any of that stuff.

What we're waiting on is real full graphics support,
where we'll be able to assign graphics to objects and buildings.

That's not on the immediate agenda though, unfortunately.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 11:28:50 pm »

Oh wow, I didn't realise there was this kind of work going into your tilesets ironhand and may now have to go take another look at.

I really think your tileset thread could do with some screenshots if you would like some constructive critisism. Definately with some ingame shots of multicoloured plants and animals explaining briefly explaining your magic tile approch.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 12:39:00 am »

Indeed, the "Tile Magic" that goes into Ironhand's Graphics Set is quite impressive!
However, since Ironhand graciously shared these secrets the techniques have started to be adopted by other graphics sets:

I'm on it. Will be great to test it on my 21px tileset :)
And yes, these ground symbols are excellent. so if you don't mind, I'll be glad to lovingly rip them off you ;)
Have you tested in 40d# if they work?
I'm asking because in my experience many tiles are hardcoded to a black background.
I use it for plants in Genesis mod. I changed your stone tiles (I don't need that many :P) to creature tiles though, to give graphics to them, but otherwise I use other stuff by you and it's very awesome.
During the later 40d# series I started updating my tileset using exactly this idea.

While it looks great, the main problem I have with Ironhand's set is that it's 18x18, which requires a screen resolution of 1440 pixels horizontal to display properly. But my current monitor is incapable of higher than 1280. And I have no desire to go higher until I get myself a large LCD monitor. The usual 16x16 may be smallish, but it fits my preferred screen resolution.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 01:15:28 pm »

I like this idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2011, 04:55:06 pm »

Oh, so that's how it works! The information has been on the wiki for a while and a couple of years back somebody produced a tileset using this stuff (can't remember who, but the ballistae were particularly gorgeous), but this is the first time it's really clicked into place.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »

Oh yeah?

I kinda thought I was the guy who started it.

Now I'm curious who this other tileset is.
And by that, I mean I want to steal some ideas.
Has anybody else seen the one he's talking about?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »

Alright, sorry about the necro, but I want to make sure I'm getting this right for the tile set I'm working on. (And this thread is awesome, anyway.) So, if I make a circle like this--

(Whoops, that light blue should be white, right?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I set the foreground color to green, and the backround to orange, then I get this--

But if I set the foreground to blue, and the backround to yellow, I get this--

That is how it works?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:32:50 pm by Aramco »
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2011, 02:06:06 pm »

Here's the tileset, thread's from early 2009. There are a couple of different tilesets in the thread.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]