Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: not a suggestion but an idea  (Read 877 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
not a suggestion but an idea
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:29:30 pm »

Just like the arena, how about a pre-made fort, and you take control and have to stop a dwarfen tantrum spiral, by any means of your choosing.

Maybe allow for commands for a random megabeast to apear, or all the booze to vaporize, or sieges--just at a press of a button--forcing you to have to deal with the aftermath, with  small pre-defined fortress. 

Granted, it is easy to cause a fortress to spiral into despair.  Just dump the booze, tear down the wells, drain the lakes, and open the cages--but I want it all INSTANT!  So the megabeast can appear right when the elves show up, or get a goblin siege and poof megabeast to the rescue! 

Or magma eruptions!

igless

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: not a suggestion but an idea
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:40:00 pm »

A suggestion is generally an idea, So the suggestions forum would be the right place.

As to the idea it self: I think it could be interesting, but i would rather have Today developing new content or polishing old content. The reason he added arena mode was because he was using it to test the new bodyparts system and people seemed to want it so he put it in. SO it was a development tool that he added not just a random addition iirc.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43:31 pm »

I think the point of DF is for these scenarios to take place by their self or by your fault.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:14 pm »

Hrm. Sounds like pre-packaged or downloadable campaign files. I believe Toady already made one a while back, but as a tutorial (a rough start on a fortress with a guide to the user as to what to do next). I imagine ordinary players could make them too, though, no? Just have someone with too much time on their hands make a world, build a fortress and prime it for all sorts of fun that another could then deal with! Of course, that's not the same thing as the "fortress arena" you have in mind, with all sorts of disasters at the hit of a button... but then again, I imagine that'd only take some modding and/or cheating. I haven't touched any of the raws aside from some of the language files yet, so I wouldn't be of much insight in that area.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:55:08 pm »

I was thinking of how in sim city, the original ones at least (I haven't played it since sim 2000) the people would riot because of the disasters I caused, so I would then flood the city to wash away the rioters.  Worked like a charm!
igless

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »

I was thinking of how in sim city, the original ones at least (I haven't played it since sim 2000) the people would riot because of the disasters I caused, so I would then flood the city to wash away the rioters.  Worked like a charm!

There was another thread with this exact same inspiration, in Suggestions (where this thread belongs, by the way).

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:32:02 pm »

The mighty Footkerchief hath spoken!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:21:21 am »

I don't get how this isn't a suggestion.