Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: language_DWARF.txt  (Read 2287 times)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
language_DWARF.txt
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:02:04 pm »

Most of my dwarves have weird symbols in place of at least one letter in their names, so I opened up the language file to see what was going on

examples
Code: [Select]
[T_WORD:BEE:agˆk]
[T_WORD:BIG:et„g]
[T_WORD:BLOSSOM:ƒtrid]
[T_WORD:BLUE:en“r]

Is there a way I can find out what letter each of the different symbols correspond to? They all recur many times throughout the file, but it would take me like 10 seconds with notepad++ to replace them with the appropriate standard English letters, but I don't want to just choose letters arbitrarily

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate section

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: language_DWARF.txt
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:37:55 pm »

I would think that they are accented characters, like e-acute, that don't exist in the tileset or font that you're using.

Yes, checking in-game, Bee is 'agêk' (e-circumflex), blossom is 'âtrid' (a-circumflex) and blue is 'enôr' (o-circumflex).

What about 'boar' or 'bolt'? These use letters with different accents(wondering if the problem is just circumflex letters).

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:06:22 pm »

boar is d [turtle] s t i k
bolt is a l [rat] t h

clearly the problem is related to any non-standard letters
pretty sure I was able to find a resource with a list of the necessary conversions on the page of some python utility that would do it for you, but that was like 18 months ago when I first started playing

btw I am using mayday v22

edit: making some progress. now i know that the frog is really an accented e

edit2: found a page on the wiki that has the letter conversions, now I can fix it

edit3: if anyone else has been having this problem, here's a link: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Accent_Removal
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:26:46 pm by mross »

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:27:17 am »

I think you've got to set your text editor to the right encoding or whatever.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »

Special characters actually represent a different kind of pronounciation than standard. This too can represent a seriously different meaning between two similar words. In fact, there are words in the language_DWARF.txt which if you remove the accent symbols, spell the same (yet with very different meaning)

For example of why this is important, compare the Lakota haŋ with the English han. Without being able to provide auditory examples, all I can say is that the Lakota haŋ sounds more like hauhmn than "han". the ŋ represents a nasal sound, which doesn't sound much like n at all, even though it is very similar in shape. According to Wikipedia, the "ã" symbol is the IPA value for such a sound, although ã in dwarf fortress may or may not equal the IPA ã.

The exact pronounciation of the words are only something Toady can explain, but one thing is for sure... a is NOT equal to â in any form except a superficial appearance.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:31:17 pm »

Thanks for the info on the pronunciations, but I wouldn't know how any of the Dwarven or other words are pronounced anyway, and (to me) they're all completely arbitrary; the dwarves could be named in binary and it would make no difference

I just don't like having frogs and vermin appearing in words that are otherwise normal characters, it's pretty annoying

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:57 am »

doubt anyone's going to see this; I have one last character still appearing as a graphic; it is ÿ (looks like y with an umlaut)

I've checked the language files, this character doesn't appear in them (or I've already replaced it with the previous batch replaces)

Are there any other files that control the spelling of words in Dwarf Fortress?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:52:52 pm »

Nope, just the language files. I'd have to double-check when I get home, but it looks like ÿ shows up as itself even in Notepad (but I'm not sure what encoding method Toady uses...UTF-8 seems to translate fine to Notepad).

That issue you're having is the main reason I don't use the Mayday set.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »

Onul
Ònul
Why is it important?
Because an Onul demon and a Ònul demon tend to have different powers.

Attacking one with a laser would be suicide... Of course there aren't rewards for knowing dwarven yet(or any other language), so...

As for the ÿ, check the elf language raw for this: [T_WORD:PRESTIGE:ithe˜i]

Until images can be separated and letters not ruined I won't use character sets either. It's in the plans, just not near future. Graphic sets are more than adequate. Who cares what my barrels look like as long as I can see the elf and know it's time to bring out the magma.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:41:28 pm »

Thanks again for the help

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:43:50 am »

The code page for DF is 437, and its an old ROM code page.  Notepad by default assumes everything is either Windows-1252 or UTF-8, which are both similar to 437, but still different on many characters.  I don't recall if there's a way to force it to use 437 (which is still supported under Windows).
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio