Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remember that squad you sent out to kill hoary marmots?  (Read 5609 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I forgot about them.  Until they started to go INSANE and start causing damage in the fort!  I was able to avert a tantrum spiral (I think) but now half the fortress has red down arrows!  Time to build a zoo and fast...
igless

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
Re: Remember that squad you sent out to kill hoary marmots?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:57:35 pm »

I had a legendary axedwarf with an adamantine battle axe go berserk (why are there no shells in 0.31?). It wasn't pretty. He crippled, killed or wounded half my military before they managed to land a killing blow.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »

Are zoos particularly good at improving moods?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:45:34 pm »

Only if you don't put any vermin in them. More to the point, if you have enough berserkers and cage traps, you can construct a delightful dwarven zoo full of rogue dwarves who, if released, will certainly kill all of your citizens.

Dwarf Fortress: the most dangerous game.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

I find zoos work pretty well, as statue gardens. Occasionally I'll assign a pet to someone I think may flip before too long.

Somewhat related, i was concerned about the impending unfortunate death of a noble.  Fortunately, I recently was able to dispatch my baroness with no issues.  It appears nobody liked her anyway.  The greatest part of it was that she helped assemble her menacing spike trap by attaching the mechanism, and later admired a fine trap. 

After her untimely demise, I set the corpse for Dump.  Then she was atom smashed under a bridge.  Her crime was requesting native aluminum, which I didn't happen to have located yet and is not available through trade, so it seemed fitting to make her completely unavailable as well.  She had a nice tomb, but I took that way from her before she had the chance to occupy it...

igless

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:21:25 pm »

I had a legendary axedwarf with an adamantine battle axe go berserk (why are there no shells in 0.31?). It wasn't pretty. He crippled, killed or wounded half my military before they managed to land a killing blow.

Mod in the dwarven pig, a nice stopgap until this problem gets fixed.  I would have had at least a dozen insane dwarves if not for them.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53533.msg1148377#msg1148377

I've also started savescumming recently if I forget a squad or something.  I figure if the melt bug will ruin all my hard work, I should at least get something in return.

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 02:40:10 am »

The problem with shells is that you get them by processing raw turtles, not eating cooked ones.

It's almost impossible to catch turtles.

1+1 =

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 03:26:53 am »

The problem is your looking for turtles and not snailcows or shellhoofs.  Thats where all the shells are, turtles are nearly extinct due to climate change or whatever but modern science has produces superior replacements (see modding forum for details)
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 03:53:15 am »

The problem is your looking for turtles and not snailcows or shellhoofs.  Thats where all the shells are, turtles are nearly extinct due to climate change or whatever but modern science has produces superior replacements (see modding forum for details)

I personally quite like my turtle dogs.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 04:43:12 am »

It's funny how people add shell to dogs, cats or cows; or create pigs that somehow have shells. After losing 4 dwarves because of the lack of shell in my last fortress, I got annoyed and simply modded giant turtles; same as turtle, but tameable, breedable and butcherable. In my new fortress, I already encountered some zombie giant turtle, fun  :P

Back on topic, I forgot my militia commander while she was keeping an eye on another dwarf (my 3rd failed mood). Thankfully, the dwarf went insane before my militia commander, who fought off the maddwarf while holding her 2 babies. The two babies even took part in the fight: one by taking a punch -a mere bruise-, the other by punching back -hits blocked by the pig tail cloak-. At another time, I forgot her while she was chasing groundhog around my fortress. Pitting turning into fun (not the capitalized kind). I was reminded of her situation when the groundhogs reached the central stairwell and I got spammed by jobs cancelations.

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:43:11 pm »

It's funny how people add shell to dogs, cats or cows; or create pigs that somehow have shells.

I propose a compromise to the two ideas:

Giant catcowdogpiglavaturtles!

If you don't want to see it, you'r probably an elf.

Narmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:09:50 pm »

The problem with shells is that you get them by processing raw turtles, not eating cooked ones.

It's almost impossible to catch turtles.

1+1 =
Impossible to catch turtles? More like impossible to catch anything else. It seems all my lakes and rivers are empty except for the odd turtle.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 06:33:46 pm »

Fishing is truly broken right now, land tortoises are your best bet.

as for dealing with insanity, you're out of luck. You've never HAD luck.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 06:56:18 pm »

Why yes, I do remember that squad.  Didn't I send them out a month ago?  What?  They haven't come back yet?  Oh, right.  They're still fighting with the marmots.  You can't hurry these things, you know.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »

if you used a kill (or move) order you have to manually cancel it when it is done, otherwise they will sit there waiting for the marmot to resurrect so they can kill it again. Any wonder they go insane?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: [1] 2