Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Gryphon/Griffon Exclusion  (Read 10700 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Gryphon/Griffon Exclusion
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 02:35:58 pm »

Hi!

???

Where do I say that the "fanatic" is right? I just said that he was willing to fight to the death, so to speak, for his belief that they really existed. And that fight even included harassment and other unpleasant things on some occasions (^_^;;

I was merely pointing out that I have seen a "fanatic" that would be greatly offended by him saying that dragons are improbable and thus warning him about the danger of such a "fanatic" attacking him. I did not say that I myself believed in dragons or any other mythical creatures. And frankly, I don't believe in the existence of griffons or dragons.

Deathworks

P.S.: I am using the term "fanatic" as I can't think of a better term. I found that individual quite interesting, as he seemed to have a lot niche knowledge you never have heard of before, so the tales he told were quite new and refreshing for me. So, I use the term without any animosity.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 02:39:06 pm »

Well, theoretically, there's could have been a dinosaur with biochemical pouches on each side of it's mouth that when combine ignite. :P If it was large though there'd be no way for it to fly though.

Of course, there's been no actual evidence of this. Just something that is possible. And a lot of things are possible.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 02:47:08 pm »

I was merely pointing out that I have seen a "fanatic" that would be greatly offended by him saying that dragons are improbable and thus warning him about the danger of such a "fanatic" attacking him.

Fair enough, but does that person go to these boards? If not, that's kind of an odd warning, since it's strictly hypothetical. Might as well warn against people calling "elves" a fantasy element of the game. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 02:55:28 pm »

I myself have given up on PURGING THE UNCLEAN because roughly 10% of DF's fanbase consists of creepy furries and otherkin, but I really never saw someone in this community crazily defend the existance of dragons, much less to the point of getting banned, maybe I should lurk moar.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »

Hi!

While I am usually relatively serious, I do sometimes make jokes. The debate about dragons and then comparing dragons with other fantasy creatures reminded me strongly of that person (comparisons between creatures were really something where he got heated up if someone wanted to suggest anything that could beat the dragons). So, I simply added this tangent as a joke, marking it explicitly with a smilie as a joke.

And how dare you call elves a fantasy element!!! Hath not the great prophet Tolkien himself told us that they witnessed the rise of our forefathers?  :) :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

EDIT: Dakk, I think I saw some threads about how weak dragons are in adventure or fortress mode. If that particular individual had visited these forums, I am pretty sure he would have explained quite explicitly why the weakness of the dragons would be completely absurd and intolerable. So, I think you have nothing to be afraid of :) :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:04:15 pm by Deathworks »

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 04:34:17 pm »

Aye, I can attest to that. In fact, so far, all these big bad giants, titans and what have you seem remarkably weak. I'm expecting an EPIC BATTLE OF EARTH-SHATTERING PROPORTIONS -- but oh, wait- it... it just died. Really? That quickly? Not even a scratch on anyone, eh? Mm.

I think Toady's revamp of the combat system made things a little too balanced, but he's sure to fix that. Plus, I suppose it's a good thing, for now... so that my soldiers barely die. But... still. *Sniffles.*

There's no need to go into creepy otherkin dreams and theories, toady stated before somewhere that those creatures are just in the raws to appear on engravings, and are just placeholders for future magic arc stuff.

Does that mean griffons will have magical powers? Will there be griffon wizards?! I can scarcely imagine what the game'll be like with magic. From what I've heard, it'll still remain somewhat obscure -- which is good. But. Griffon sorcerers with pointy hats and fireballs?! It makes me cringe with fear.

EDIT: By the same token, I appear to currently be under a +50 goblin siege led by their very War Leader (who happens to be, of all things, a dwarf). I sure could use a squadron of pyromantic griffons right about now. *Grumbles.*
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:44:46 pm by Bronzebeard »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 04:54:15 pm »

Moar liek griffons being the result of magical experiment, not the other way around.
And what do you mean its too balanced? Ever met a titan made of ash or rock? The damn things are nigh unstoppable, a single giant blod of fire with wings wiped out one of my forts by itself. Not only are they aggressive, but they seem to actualy hunt down your dwarves and don't stop till every single one is obliterated.

Some, however, are pretty cuddly and have weird behaviors, like the enourmous worm thing with a round shell and walked around my meeting room, scaring the hell out of me dwarves without actualy killing any. It did break some doors and workshops though, and eventualy I got bored of it and ordered my military to kill it. I should've set up a controlled cave-in and set up some cage traps to catch it instead, to test it its possible.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 05:07:19 pm »

Yeah, being magic isn't synonymous with being a wizard (and even then, how often do you actually encounter the pointy-hat wizard these days?), though it isn't necessarily the case that griffons are the result of magic - they might indeed have supernatural abilities - a screech that paralyzes enemies with fear, an uncanny sense to detect horses to eat, an ability to increase its speed/agility for a short time, body parts with healing properties...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 05:34:38 pm »

And what do you mean its too balanced? Ever met a titan made of ash or rock?

Allow me to refer you to http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d_Talk:Titan ... where their mighty prowess is laughed at by the masses. :P

Yeah, being magic isn't synonymous with being a wizard (and even then, how often do you actually encounter the pointy-hat wizard these days?), though it isn't necessarily the case that griffons are the result of magic - they might indeed have supernatural abilities - a screech that paralyzes enemies with fear, an uncanny sense to detect horses to eat, an ability to increase its speed/agility for a short time, body parts with healing properties...

Aye, I was merely exaggerating. Although, many of those abilities could be biological in nature -- everyone knows my cat has a screech that paralyzes enemies with fear, just like dogs have an uncanny sense to detect bacon or... well, cats. Or what have you. Anyway, turns out I don't need magical griffons after all! The tenacity of my troops in the face of doom never ceases to surprise me. Beyond a few casualties, only bad news is that damned War Leader got away... oh well.

She'll be back.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 05:36:27 pm »

Allow me to refer you to http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d_Talk:Titan ... where their mighty prowess is laughed at by the masses. :P

I'm fairly sure Dakk meant a 0.31 Titan, which is an entirely different thing to a 40d Titan.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 06:04:00 pm »

I'm fairly sure Dakk meant a 0.31 Titan, which is an entirely different thing to a 40d Titan.

I'm fairly sure, as well, but they seem none the stronger. I've had two thus far, and they've been breezes to be rid of.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 10:38:22 pm »

Arguably, a giant, flying, fire-spewing dragon is more fanciful than a half-eagle, half-lion a mere fraction of its weight.

:) :) :) :)

I suggest you be careful with doubting dragons. :) I have seen at least one person willing to defend the theory that dragons did exist and were the divine messengers of God (angels actually being dragons), bringing forth evidence from the scriptures of various cultures and also discussing in length the physical characteristics of dragons. And that person would not desist in his defense of the honor of dragons, even if it got him banned.

Shit, you've meet him too?  The guy who met a dragon in the Iraq desert who asked this bloke to write the dragon's memoirs?  What a twat that guy is.

(Oh hey, his posts still exist)
Quote from: Samael the Red
l am just a regular-enough guy who may have accidentally met a dragon in the middle of the Iraqi desert during the Persian Gulf war, and agreed to write his memoirs in return for sparing my life. Very soon now, the work shall be finished, and the debt shall be paid.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 10:58:09 pm »

Wait, what?
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 01:13:18 am »

Hi!

Shit, you've meet him too?  The guy who met a dragon in the Iraq desert who asked this bloke to write the dragon's memoirs?  What a twat that guy is.

O.o
That sounds like a different one. The one I knew never claimed to have met any dragons, but he insisted that all the "evidence" from all the various cultures around the world "proved" that dragons really existed. He was more going from a "pseudo-scholarly" angle.

I wonder what would happen if the two met :) :) :) :)

Wait, what?

Isn't the internet a wonderful place? You get to meet all those nice people :) :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 04:13:28 am »

Isn't the internet a wonderful place? You get to meet all those nice people :) :) :) :) :)

Or maybe even some dragons!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6