Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Gryphon/Griffon Exclusion  (Read 10697 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Gryphon/Griffon Exclusion
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 04:20:09 am »

Isn't the internet a wonderful place? You get to meet all those nice people :) :) :) :) :)

Or maybe even some dragons!

Or or or Gryphons! Yes!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 04:55:00 am »

FYIAD
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pathos

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 05:07:54 am »

Birds that fly? What a preposterous idea! Clearly a mythical creature.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 10:23:41 am »

Hi!

Shit, you've meet him too?  The guy who met a dragon in the Iraq desert who asked this bloke to write the dragon's memoirs?  What a twat that guy is.

O.o
That sounds like a different one. The one I knew never claimed to have met any dragons, but he insisted that all the "evidence" from all the various cultures around the world "proved" that dragons really existed. He was more going from a "pseudo-scholarly" angle.

I know the guy I met had said stuff like that, lemee see here...

Quote from: Samael the Red
You might enjoy my book then, because it rather neatly ties in most of the world's dragon legends and presents them as real, flesh and blood, (and often human-voring) creatures, though ones that have never died, based on the scriptures of most of the worlds great religions, as well as acknowledgeing science and evolution. There must be a reason why they have been reportedly seen by reliable people and believed in by virtually every human culture for thousands of years, despite no evidence of their deaths. Billions of people believe in angels too, despite the fact no one has ever dug up a dead one.

AFAIK his book is still unpublished, despite "being close to finding a publisher" in late 2006.

Isn't the internet a wonderful place? You get to meet all those nice people :) :) :) :) :)
Or maybe even some dragons!

Hi!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 10:41:10 am »

Hi! (giggles)

Still, he feels differently from the one I remember. Yours seem to have more of an outside perspective when trying to sell his book. I mean, there does not seem a real urgency to him. Mine felt more like a religious zealot, especially when he encountered art or stories with dragons as prey rather than pred.

On the other hand, using the term "human-voring" at least places them close to the same fetish community.

But if that was 2006, then it was before I met mine (I think). So, maybe there had been a change of heart in between.

:) :) :) :)
You are right, Toady One forgot to give elk birds flight, it seems :) :) :) :)

Just for a change, on topic, the recent posts about Toady One's statements seem to imply that griffons are actually not scheduled to be integrated into the game (although they might hitch a ride somewhere, I guess). Or am I misunderstanding something.

(And personally, I always found the griffon riding dwarves of Warcraft odd, because dwarves are basically earthbound, in some worlds even seen as spirits of earth and thus not at home in the realm of air).

Deathworks

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 10:48:30 am »

Hi! (giggles)

Still, he feels differently from the one I remember. Yours seem to have more of an outside perspective when trying to sell his book. I mean, there does not seem a real urgency to him. Mine felt more like a religious zealot, especially when he encountered art or stories with dragons as prey rather than pred.

On the other hand, using the term "human-voring" at least places them close to the same fetish community.

But if that was 2006, then it was before I met mine (I think). So, maybe there had been a change of heart in between.

:) :) :) :)
You are right, Toady One forgot to give elk birds flight, it seems :) :) :) :)

Just for a change, on topic, the recent posts about Toady One's statements seem to imply that griffons are actually not scheduled to be integrated into the game (although they might hitch a ride somewhere, I guess). Or am I misunderstanding something.

(And personally, I always found the griffon riding dwarves of Warcraft odd, because dwarves are basically earthbound, in some worlds even seen as spirits of earth and thus not at home in the realm of air).

Deathworks

Indeed. Only the Wildhammer dwarves take to the air with gryphons, atop Aerie Peak. They, unlike their stone-entombed brethren, adored the open skies and terrifying heights their noble mounts could afford them! So useful were they in Azeroth's defense, however, that they've become a facet of dwarven culture across the Eastern Kingdoms. Or so I think; honestly, I haven't brushed up on the lore in a while. ;_;

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 11:08:23 am »

Hi! (giggles)

Entirely possible they're the same person.  Keep in mind that I basically banned myself from the forum I found him on (he was actually banned, I took a leave of absence and never went back).  He was so fanatical about the fact that Christianity was "right" and that all dragons were God's immortal, sinner-devouring, soldiers.

Some quotes (from multiple posts):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 11:22:04 am »

Hi!

I think Draco/Sirrush (that is the guy I met) was also more willing to discuss physical possibilities and argue there without using terms like teleportation. And I never saw him suggest that dragons cared about what people read or wrote. Sure, he got really upset about such infidelity, but he never implied that the dragons would take it personal.

As I said, there was never a suggestion of him of actually having contact with living dragons.

Bronzebeard: Personally, I would imagine that some kind of lizard/lindwurm would be the most obvious/typical mount for dwarves: Creatures they have found gnawing at the roots of the mountains and have since then tamed and turned into their companions.

Deathworks

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 11:31:24 am »

I think Draco/Sirrush (that is the guy I met) was also more willing to discuss physical possibilities and argue there without using terms like teleportation. And I never saw him suggest that dragons cared about what people read or wrote. Sure, he got really upset about such infidelity, but he never implied that the dragons would take it personal.

Well, if it is the same person he's less of a retard now.  Asked Samael to prove that psychic abilities did exist and backed it up with "In Russia they're farther along on this than in the west."

I mean really.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 12:05:54 pm »

Let's go back on topic.

I think Chimera, griffon and centaur are all fanciful because they look like some creatures combined together. Kinda a genetic experiment. Like some random PARTS combined together. While other creatures, no matter how unreal they are, are the WHOLE.

So I guess we do not get them in vanilla until we get genetic manipulation :). Or at least frankenstein-styled monsters.

I'm fairly sure, as well, but they seem none the stronger. I've had two thus far, and they've been breezes to be rid of.
"two thus far"? Man it looks like you don't know what a random generator is. You have to experience HUNDREDS of results until you can make some conclusions. Also the same RNG tend to give the worst results when it's least expected. You can get a few titans in a row which are totally unkillable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »

Despite chimera, griffon and centaur-kind being legit creatures of myth and fantasy, they wouldn't be the results of genetic experiments in a world where they exist already; that's like calling a butterfly a genetic experiment between a bird and an ant because it has wings and the body of an insect, or a dog a genetic experiment between a lizard and a three-toed sloth due to the similar body shape but coat of fur. And, really, in a world where life sprung from similar genetic templates from a simple number of proteins, as we know life to function, wouldn't everything be interconnected at a genetic level, somehow? But perhaps I'm going off-topic. I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying, though.

And in regards to titans: every one I've encountered was weak. The wiki reports them to be weak. Weakness is all they have to show for themselves. Until I find one that can actually take down a raw recruit, I'll respectfully reserve the only light I have of them.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 04:49:49 pm »

The dragon angel stuff is hilarious.  That guy obviously was demented.  I mean, of course dragons would have killed each other... didn't Lucifer lead some kind of rebellion?

On the subject of weak monsters, though, has anyone been underwhelmed by critters like the Giant Tiger?  Messing around in the arena, a pansy unicorn managed to kill five in a row before it was scratched up enough for the sixth to knock it out.  Apparently, getting stabbed by a unicorn's horn does considerably more damage than getting mauled by a giant tiger does.  I would probably liken getting mauled by a giant tiger to being stabbed by five large daggers and bludgeoned by a warhammer at once.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 04:55:51 pm »

The dragon angel stuff is hilarious.  That guy obviously was demented.  I mean, of course dragons would have killed each other... didn't Lucifer lead some kind of rebellion?

By his telling of things, dragons didn't "fall" to become demons, or whatever.  But yeah, he obviously had a little trouble.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 12:02:16 am »

Let's go back on topic.

I think Chimera, griffon and centaur are all fanciful because they look like some creatures combined together. Kinda a genetic experiment. Like some random PARTS combined together. While other creatures, no matter how unreal they are, are the WHOLE.

Technically, it has been hypothesized that like the aforementioned chimerical beasts, the dragon is also a hybrid of several different creatures, like the alligator, the bat, and the imaginations of people inspired by seeing dinosaur bones.

Also, if one looks at Eastern mythology, the chinese dragon (the 龙 long) is understood widely as an amalgamation of many different animals (snake, horse, eagle, fish, even camel and stag). There is even a popular saying that goes with the idea.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 07:17:52 am »

It's odd...Gryphons aren't much more different than a harpy (present in-game) in terms of being a half-bird half-something (let's not get started on hippogriphs and related sub-variations), and they aren't regarded as being specially mighty either, I wonder why would they need the magic arc to exist within DF?
Maybe it's just "something for later" and not specifically something for the magic arc.
Right now combat rules aren't specially interesting in regards of flying creatures (I can see a harpy easily doing all sorts of fancy air-wrestling, or a dragon dropping enemies from the sky as a crow would drop a nut on a road) so perhaps the gryphon is requiring that part?
And dragons in the desert? I bet it was blue.
EDIT: Why did I call magic arc "army arc"? Duh.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:31:30 am by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6