Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: *Dwarf Chocolate* Expansion Mod  (Read 12697 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
*Dwarf Chocolate* Expansion Mod
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:13:30 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:50:55 am by SethCreiyd »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Dwarf Chocolate* - Dwarf Fortress Expansion Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:21:09 am »

I cleaned up a bit of the messiness of the first release, tidying the raws a bit and fixing a spelling error or two.  Vanilla races should bring selections of the new toys to trade.  Gnomeblight affects Gnomes the way it should, and the mod's namesake was added into the game along with the plant responsible.  Certain rocks rather than can be sharpened now (trying to keep it realistic), and some placeholder creatures were placed in the fanciful raw so that folks will at least engrave pictures of them until they are in the game in other ways.

Other than that, Tower Shields and Cesti are wielded by certain entities, and some noble positions were tweaked to remove some general bugginess.  The 'deep' varieties of Dwarves and Elves also got some slight differences to their forebears, mainly in pigmentation.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:34:03 am »

That's a neat mod you make :). I have chocolate too and it was one of the first things I modded (I think because I like it :)).

# Dagger-equip crash fixed by changing associated skill to DODGING (this will change when crash is officially fixed).
Very clever idea.

# Sharper Rocks: Chert, Rhyolite, Basalt and Quartzite may be used for weapons.
Will it work without screwing the obsidian-around-magma? I just didn't look into it yet. Does adding MAX_EDGE to a rock make it into a sharp one at once?

New Toys:  Many, including board games and toy swords.
I like it too :). I have made just Go, Chess and Human Fortress board games... A big diversity would be fun :).

Dwarves have [ELECTED] added to the expedition leader position.
I was planning to make it long time ago but still haven't managed to do such a simple change which would bring lost nobles back :). Okay, next version :).

It looks like you make really good stuff in your mod. I totally approve :P.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:35:38 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:32:17 am »

[LAVA] is used for magma-cooling stone types. It does seem that max_edge triggers stone weapon usability, nothing else in the obsidian raws that could.

Anyhow, I like the ideas in this mod. Nice work. Ill be downloading and using some portions of it, though ill be leaving out a fair portion that seems a bit too inconsistent with the rest of the game (drills are obvious, but also stuff like the rapiers and scythes)

Edit: the weapon skill tag on the sai lacks a ]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:07:37 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 11:43:58 am »

Rapiers are in DF :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:58:09 am »

Thanks, Deon.  You've done a lot of impressive work that I've admired since coming here.  Regarding [MAX_EDGE], the wiki says "Applying a value of at least 10000 to a stone will allow weapons made from that stone."  I haven't verified that specific number myself but I trust it's accurate.

Anyhow, I like the ideas in this mod. Nice work. Ill be downloading and using some portions of it, though ill be leaving out a fair portion that seems a bit too inconsistent with the rest of the game (drills are obvious, but also stuff like the rapiers and scythes)

Edit: the weapon skill tag on the sai lacks a ]

Thanks twice.  The set of gnomish contraptions is an export from an earlier work used as a stopgap.  One day they'll be packed into a submod and replaced by some tiny-hands-friendly weapon variants.  The gnomes, while inventive, are supposed to end up somewhat more pedestrian than their EQ and WoW counterparts appear to be.  Not to mention, their current missile weapons are pathetically weak; the shots bounce off a rope reed tunic.

'Rapier' best describes the type of thrusting sword invented by the Ravenmen, adapted from a fishing tool.  The decision to allow Tigermen and Humans to use them as well seems to be arbitrary in retrospect.  Rapiers are not ideal weapons for classical military use, but they are for the Ravenmen, who have a much different sense of tactics based on the fact that they fly.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:40:52 am by SethCreiyd »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 03:54:02 am »

Oh, I see what you mean. Also do you include golems too? I like dem stonemen which leave statues behind :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 03:10:45 am »

Golems are included now, statues and all.  I was pleasantly pleased to learn that ruby and clay statues work so nicely.  It leaves room for a lot of custom reactions involving non-stone variants, like ice and clay sculptures, statues made of gemstones made at a jeweler's workshop, et cetera.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Dwarf Chocolate* Expansion Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 04:48:38 pm »

The latest version makes a lot of changes to the entity files.  Things are much different now in many different ways.  A number of glitches were found and corrected, mostly involving thieves and babysnatchers not from the races they're associated with in vanilla.  World-gen is much improved and most of the races will make it to 1050 with at least one civ left, though Fauns appear to be quite fragile in general.

I missed the Philosopher so I remade its position and added it to the list of gnomish nobles.  I didn't add it back to the dwarves because as much as I miss it, there was likely a reason for its removal.

Tigermen were replaced and sent back to the wild where they can still be captured and tamed.  Fortress mode would never work well for them as long as they kept their pet tags, which I absolutely couldn't remove.  Cue the Lionmen.

The new 'hostile beastman' entity should provide a much needed foil to the list of mostly-peaceful-but-easily-irritated-into-war entities.  The latter are easily provoked by the questionable ethics of the former.

A hobgoblin is a caste of goblin that is just a larger, tougher, scarier goblin.  Their casts [POP_RATIO] is 1 in 4, so they aren't rare, just less common than your average goblin.  Basically, they're my implementation of 'orcs' -- though I'm of the Tolkienesque mindset that 'orc' and 'goblin' are synonymous.  If it helps, think of goblins as snaga and hobgoblins as uruk-hai.

Oh, and the blood -- right now I'm looking for a way to get dwarves to cook with it.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 05:00:36 pm »

I like it.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 06:19:02 pm »

Just a thought-If this is a miscellanous mod it should probably add a couple of shop types. Like a liquor store, maybe a toy store, y'know, basic stuff. And a pet store. Turtle based economy, here I come!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 06:20:33 pm »

If it helps, think of goblins as snaga and hobgoblins as uruk-hai.
That's my approach too (and how goblins with orcs work in Genesis). I like to see it this way :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 10:07:57 am »

I like it.

Great!

Just a thought-If this is a miscellanous mod it should probably add a couple of shop types. Like a liquor store, maybe a toy store, y'know, basic stuff. And a pet store. Turtle based economy, here I come!

I'd like to, but at this time I haven't the slightest idea about how, or if it's even possible to do with shops.

If it helps, think of goblins as snaga and hobgoblins as uruk-hai.
That's my approach too (and how goblins with orcs work in Genesis). I like to see it this way :).

Yeah, I always enjoyed other modders' rendition of orcs but making them a separate race tends to break immersion for me.  Just a personal taste.

I have tested Chocolate with 31.04 and it seems to be working fine, in and of itself.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:14:07 am by SethCreiyd »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 10:37:04 am »

Yep, there're no raw changes so all mods are compatible.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 05:45:47 pm »

I can say now without a doubt that blood can be cooked, English style.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3