Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Little mod: Sawmill  (Read 8513 times)

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Little mod: Sawmill
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:30:28 am »

Hi all.

I like building out of wood, and I think it's terribly inefficient to use one log per one square of wall. Sawmill is what I'd need, I thought. After searching the forum, I found out some people have spoken of a sawmill, but nobody actually got through it and made it.
So, here it is! A custom Sawmill workshop, a special "plant" with no biome, and a working reaction.
Here's a screenie:

Somehow, it fits. I can see a dwarf refusing to call something made out of (pfft) wood its proper name...

And here's the raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, remember to add this to entity file
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:SAWMILL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:WOOD_PLANKS]

A person more patient than me could actually write up a dozen plants and reactions to make, say, Maple Logs turn into Thin Blocks Made Out Of Maple Logs. Feel free to, if you'd like; it's quite simple. Creating reactions for plank furniture is entirely possible too.
If somebody wants to take this and put it in their mod, be my guest.

Anyway, enjoy  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:50:55 am by roqi »
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Little mod: Sawmill
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:08:44 pm »

There's another issue: your carpenters will start making "a plank made out of wood logs bed," "a plank made out of wood logs barrel,"  "a plank made out of wood logs crutch," and so on. Such are the hazards of a reaction that takes one log and makes ten logs.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:23:40 pm »

You are correct, except "logs" is not included in the plant name so it'd be "a plank made out of wood bed". Well, poo.   :-[
I guess the way to fix it would be disabling the vanilla carpenter's workshop and making a custom one with all the reactions created so there's no stupid names.
But oh well. I guess it is not really usable without micromanaging. And I so liked the look of it...
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »

Why not just limit it to a building material by removing the [WOOD] tag?  WE know the difference between a log and a plank, but the game doesn't.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »

Could always just call it something like "wooden plank" or "processed wood" or "milled wood".  Wooden plank bed, processed wood bed, milled wood bed.  Those aren't so bad.  I'd go with "processed wood" myself.

Could even get fancy, make another reaction that requires the processed wood and something else, make lacquered wood, which has a higher value than normal woods.  Lacquered wood idols, wave them in the Elves' faces.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:33:48 pm by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:52:28 pm »

Why not just limit it to a building material by removing the [WOOD] tag?  WE know the difference between a log and a plank, but the game doesn't.

Removing the tag from...where? And who would build using it, because I don't think it would be carpenters then ???

Could always just call it something like "wooden plank" or "processed wood" or "milled wood".  Wooden plank bed, processed wood bed, milled wood bed.  Those aren't so bad.  I'd go with "processed wood" myself.

Could even get fancy, make another reaction that requires the processed wood and something else, make lacquered wood, which has a higher value than normal woods.  Lacquered wood idols, wave them in the Elves' faces.

The game adds "logs" automatically. So it'd be wooden plank logs, processed wood logs, milled wood logs... I decided on planks made out of wood logs because it sounds almost official.  :D But it's for naught now.

Yeah, the game does need more wood industry. I mean yeah, dwarves are associated with stone, but shoving butchered trees in front of the elves is a valuable experience, too.

[EDIT] Found a solution, edited first post
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:17:56 pm by roqi »
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 04:23:59 pm »

Uhm, isn't there a new tag in DF2010 along the lines of "get material from reagent"? Why isn't that used instead?

In 40d, it wasn't possible so you had to mickeymouse it like what's going on here. :X

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »

Uhm, isn't there a new tag in DF2010 along the lines of "get material from reagent"? Why isn't that used instead?

In 40d, it wasn't possible so you had to mickeymouse it like what's going on here. :X

I'm aware of that. But if I used that tag, it'd just be "maple logs" and it wouldn't fit a sawmill, being just a reaction that turns one log into ten...  ::)

I am so misunderstood *sulks in a corner*
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:57 pm »

Why wouldn't it be maple planks? :P

There was a small mod for Kobold Camp just for this purpose but product was blocks. Things look nicer in blocks! :D

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »

There was a small mod for Kobold Camp just for this purpose but product was blocks. Things look nicer in blocks! :D

Because there is no such item as planks... I made a custom plant so they would be named "planks" or "thin wooden blocks", but real planks cannot be made.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 05:40:16 pm »

* I need to read*
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 07:33:39 am »

I have refined wood too but I didn't include it in the main mod because I haven't decided which route do I want to go... Maybe I will make a separate material template which does not have ITEMS_HARD, ITEMS_WEAPON etc. so you won't have plank armor or weapons. It would work :).

* I need to read*
You don't have to.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 09:22:23 am »

Why don't you just make a new material template that's made from wood, the same way that leather is made from skin?  You'd even be able to keep the tree name that way!

EDIT: I didn't see that Deon already beat me to it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:41:19 pm by Arkenstone »

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 01:42:53 pm »

Because there is no such item as planks... I made a custom plant so they would be named "planks" or "thin wooden blocks", but real planks cannot be made.
Yeah, if all you want to do with it is build, just make a reaction that produces 5 or 10 blocks of wood.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 04:47:25 am »

I have refined wood too but I didn't include it in the main mod because I haven't decided which route do I want to go... Maybe I will make a separate material template which does not have ITEMS_HARD, ITEMS_WEAPON etc. so you won't have plank armor or weapons. It would work :).

Do go ahead. It'd be much better than what I've done. I had no idea you could do that  :P

Yeah, if all you want to do with it is build, just make a reaction that produces 5 or 10 blocks of wood.

*points to first post*
That's what I've done, now  ::)
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?
Pages: [1] 2 3