Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?  (Read 57939 times)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?
« on: May 09, 2010, 01:38:11 am »

The way I think it works out, the human culture is probably the worst event of natural process or artificial effect to happen to existance.

We as a species are creations of nature, and separate from human culture are perfect symbols of natural selection under the effect of any habitat it occupies. Unfortunetly you cannot properly descibe "Man" without it's culture, a culture which gives rise to many of man's defining characteristics, such as greed or war or vanity or religion.

Human culture is what turns a naturally ballanced species into "Man", and sets it to destroy nature and it's self.

You dont have to reply, I dont expect you to, as you are so attached to human culture that you would destroy just to keep it.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:40:41 am »

I think you might need to elaborate a bit more Hungry. I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:54:04 am »

Human culture, the thing that makes man the possessor of the world, the thing that makes the multitudes of wonderful examples of human kind fight each other over negligible status as faith or appearance, the thing that fuels his ablility to destroy nature and push out to reach for more...

If you can think of one thing you do today that is not given to you or affected in no way by human culture you probably havent traced it back far enough.

(=P This started as minor complaint about scientist being inept and ballooned out to culture...)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:56:13 am by Hungry »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:21:55 am »

It was natural selection which made us greedy and violent. Our culture is just our logical mind attempting to deal with the residual instincts which still guide our actions. We are designed to desire continued conquest, whether it be monetary, status or sexual. So don't act as though we are perfect examples of natural selection, minus our culture, because if anything natural selection is most evidenced by our culture and attitudes.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:27:48 am »

Contrary to what you think, nature is not the Disney theme park of peace and harmony that you and other "Humans are Bastards-ist" think it is. It's impossible to sum up humanity in a cute anecdote or clever quote, because we are never the same, we are so diverse. You claim that "Human Culture" is greedy and vain, but what of the good things that come of it? What about love, or friendship, or the drive to learn? With each generation, with each step, we be become better than we were a second ago. We go though every obstacle in our way, creating a path for which other to follow into a greater tomorrow.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 02:47:53 am »

Nature is short, brutal and violent. Almost every single living organism on this planet is in a constant state of cold war against every single other living organism, and many are on constant hot war footing. As life goes, mankind is actually pretty benevolant.

Also; Humans? They're natural. Whatever we do is also therefore natural. My house? it's a perfectly natural modification of the environment, exactly same as an anthill or beehive, just on a bigger scale. Humans don't do anything other animals already do, we're just better at doing some of those things.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:52:48 am »

No biological entity can mute the natural force of natural selection. We're still under it and still evolving. We've evolved to be en-grossly smart highly completive super predators. We evolved these traits that have been highly successful in nearly every environment that we've lapse out of artificial pressure of other animals. In other words, we compete with nothing else. Evolution in its infinite array of simple rules forced a paradigm onto us to ensure that our super successful evolved traits ever continue to be sharpen. So we became our only competitor, for everything.

We're not vain, nor greedy. Those term have no meaning outside of subjective artificial constructs that are highly bias.

There no one word or phrase that can hope to encompass the diversity or range of humanity. We're  contradiction incarnate. We're the most beautiful and horrible thing at once. Where one tries to cure cancer, another raps a little girl. Where one robs an elderly man nother build homes for low in come families. We're bundles of paradoxes that continue through no fault or design of our own to better ourselves immensely every day.

Everything is improving.

Literacy.

Life expectancy.

Civil liberties.

Standard of living.

So on ad infinitive.

We're exceptional in all possible matters and all capacities. We continue to improve because as a whole everyone tries their damnedest at everything.

On top of everything we've accomplished from happenstance, we're so close to being able to wield our own progression with forethought and passion.

We're human beings. We're awesome and inspiring, horrify, and disgusting.

We're the only one able to hurt each other. We're the only one that do. We're the only one that can help one another. We're the only one that do.

So yes, our cultural is horrible. Its also stupendous.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:55:25 am »

We're the only species that is able to and willing to hurt each other?

I'm sorry, what?

I could list thousands of examples, but i'll just leave you with one. The common garden ant wages war upon other common garden ant nests all the time. And i don't mean scuffles over food, i mean actual war.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 02:58:53 am »

I'm sorry, what?

I could list thousands of examples, but i'll just leave you with one. The common garden ant wages war upon other common garden ant nests all the time. And i don't mean scuffles over food, i mean actual war.

God damn it Nuruz let me have my semi poetic prose!  :P

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 03:00:22 am »

I'm sorry, what?

Not when it's wrong! :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 03:02:17 am »

I'm sorry, what?

Not when it's wrong! :D
GOD DAMN IT! GO AWAY! YOU SUCK THE FUN OUT OF MY NONE EXISTENCE SOUL11111

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 03:08:45 am »

Holy crap first page and already full caps swearing...

Also we are of nature and so is our culture...

All that man does is positive to man and often times negitive as well.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 03:17:35 am »

All that life does is positive to life and often times negitive as well.

Just fixed that up for you.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 03:20:40 am »

All that life does is positive to life and always negitive as well.

Just re-fixed that up for you.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 03:21:18 am »

All that life does is positive to life and always negitive as well.

Just re-fixed that up for you.

Hey, you said it, not me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22