Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?  (Read 58534 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »

I dont believe there is a soul, just mind and body, and I'm going for changing the body and mind as much as needed for end goal.

Technicly afterward I wont be human, as the end product will in no way resemble a human in any way, and will probably not be under any laws of governing as such.

But yes, yet more similarities to Armok.

As for that I dont mind leaving the species man to his own ends after I'm free of the earth, as apposed to complete obiteration of the human race, which based on end abilities wont be a strech from possible, and with results of current tests probable.

Because you have access to the technology and work materials necessary to do that. I'm calling an unholy amount of BS left and right on this thread. The only factual things here are when Vester said "the" and the drama llama image.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2010, 12:35:18 pm »

I never said I did but I will by plan!

All I've got now is 60 lb prototype magnetic feild generator that likes to blow up and spit out emp and a to do list about 20 years long...give or take a month for sickness and the unprodictable.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2010, 01:48:07 pm »

I never said I did but I will by plan!

All I've got now is 60 lb prototype magnetic feild generator that likes to blow up and spit out emp and a to do list about 20 years long...give or take a month for sickness and the unprodictable.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2010, 02:14:21 pm »

In this thread: Someone who thinks he has a dark and scary unique past declares that human culture is vain, petty, egocentric, and hostile, and fights to the rhetorical death against all comers to prove it.

Oh Internet, what would I do without you?

In other words, every internet thread ever.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2010, 03:33:37 pm »

Yeah the life I live and the stuff I take to live that life allots me no time to sit in the sun at all.

"Hey guys, I'm just on this forum right now to let you know that I have no time to sit in the sun."
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »

Don't you all love the persons that first go take a crap on everything, without naming alternatives, and then suddenly join in with the people making fun of them?

I most certainly do.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

Hmm, well. Theres a few things that redeem humanity. 1: Sex 2: Sex 3: Sex 4: Pizza 5: Sex 6: And laughing at poor people.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »

Don't you all love the persons that first go take a crap on everything, without naming alternatives, and then suddenly join in with the people making fun of them?

I most certainly do.

Not sure what you're referring to.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2010, 05:00:30 pm »

>:(

Hungry is NOT me. I am a) not an Emo, b) only post crazy things when I haven't sleept in a few days, c) I'm mentaly ill, PROBABLY, but not criminaly insane, d) have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality, aka not evil.

I cant say I'm particularly found of human or their culture, but I recognize this as a matter of my personal taste, and the ACTUAL bad things in culture comes from ignorant, selfish and stupid individuals. Hence, I estimate (I cant deduce what it's actually suposed to mean) I disagree mostly with the OP.

Abaut all this nonsesnse abaut souls, minds bodies, what is human... Murky sematics. There are physical laws, and from these emerge patters wich sometimes becomes quite complex, and if these patterns wants to call themelves human or inhuman, dead or alive, happy or suffering, if they want to call some parts "I" and some parts "not me", meaningfull or meaningless, physics dosn't give a ****. I take in information, procces it, and output whatever I think maxemize my expected utility, anything else is irelevant.

Edit: I haven't sleept enoguht, and there weere issues relating to  medecine today, so i take no responsibility for the choherence of that last paragraph, or anything I post today really.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:03:14 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2010, 05:08:00 pm »

For the record, I saw this thread when there were only a few posts, and I contemplated saying "Armok?"  but I didn't want to make it seem like I have a vendetta against him.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010, 05:38:00 pm »

Eh, Armok seems completely different to me.  He has a unique way of looking at things, but it's never come off to me as an "I hate all humans" sort of thing.

He's also far, far more comprehensible.

As far as this thread goes, in general... I like humans.  They can be asses, but I think that once one accepts that life is not all chocolate roses we really aren't so bad.  Our culture has some negatives about it, to be sure, but it also has its good points.  The fact that negatives exist does not negate our numerous positive actions.  Of course, we can always argue that "negative" and "positive" are written from a purely human perspective--but then, does the universe in and of itself have an opinion?  Perhaps it has a fetish for entropy.  Who knows.  In the end, I think that only we are fit to judge ourselves.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 05:41:36 pm »

You know, now that we've got the Drama Llama, we might as well pull out all the cheap Soap Opera plot devices.

ARMOK! It's time for you to know... the truth!!! Hungry is closer to you... than you could ever imagine! For secretly, through a terrible mix-up at the post office, Hungry is YOUR LONG LOST TWIN BROTHER!!!
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 05:45:55 pm »

Humans are as good or as bad as their situation allows them to be. The difference between child soldier and middle schooler is environmental not personal and we'd all kill each other for an ounce of food if it came down to it. Arguing the nature of humanity assumes we have some inherent, subjective nature.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010, 05:47:35 pm »

It's impossible to sum up humanity in a cute anecdote or clever quote, because we are never the same, we are so diverse.
You come pretty close, right there.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »

You know, now that we've got the Drama Llama, we might as well pull out all the cheap Soap Opera plot devices.

ARMOK! It's time for you to know... the truth!!! Hungry is closer to you... than you could ever imagine! For secretly, through a terrible mix-up at the post office, Hungry is YOUR LONG LOST TWIN BROTHER!!!

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!

BTW: is it just me or do these kind of threads follow some sort of "law of conservation of dumb" principle? Because just last week there was this guy spewing about how his ethic system was objetive and based in logic, in opposition to other people's subjetive morals. This week, we get a guy who wants to leave Earth using an explosive electromagnet (?).

Also

It's impossible to sum up humanity in a cute anecdote or clever quote, because we are never the same, we are so diverse.
You come pretty close, right there.
Wouldn't  Luke_Prowler's statement be a logical paradox, then?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:02:31 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22