Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?  (Read 57957 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 06:02:47 pm »

I dont believe there is a soul, just mind and body, and I'm going for changing the body and mind as much as needed for end goal.

Technicly afterward I wont be human, as the end product will in no way resemble a human in any way, and will probably not be under any laws of governing as such.

But yes, yet more similarities to Armok.

As for that I dont mind leaving the species man to his own ends after I'm free of the earth, as apposed to complete obiteration of the human race, which based on end abilities wont be a strech from possible, and with results of current tests probable.

Because you have access to the technology and work materials necessary to do that. I'm calling an unholy amount of BS left and right on this thread. The only factual things here are when Vester said "the" and the drama llama image.

I said "the" three times! That means I'm three times as factual.

You know, now that we've got the Drama Llama, we might as well pull out all the cheap Soap Opera plot devices.

ARMOK! It's time for you to know... the truth!!! Hungry is closer to you... than you could ever imagine! For secretly, through a terrible mix-up at the post office, Hungry is YOUR LONG LOST TWIN BROTHER!!!

And THAT is what you get when you mail babies intead of picking them up at the hospital.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2010, 06:07:34 pm »

You know, now that we've got the Drama Llama, we might as well pull out all the cheap Soap Opera plot devices.

ARMOK! It's time for you to know... the truth!!! Hungry is closer to you... than you could ever imagine! For secretly, through a terrible mix-up at the post office, Hungry is YOUR LONG LOST TWIN BROTHER!!!

And THAT is what you get when you mail babies intead of picking them up at the hospital.

The convenience is worth it, though. So very much.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »

It's impossible to sum up humanity in a cute anecdote or clever quote, because we are never the same, we are so diverse.
You come pretty close, right there.
Wouldn't  Luke_Prowler's statement be a logical paradox, then?
No.  It is a statement of how nobody is the same.  All of our viewpoints are different; what one person sees, nobody else can.  He doesn't see the irony.  You see a paradox.  I see a funny.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2010, 06:35:00 pm »

Abaut all this nonsesnse abaut souls, minds bodies, what is human... Murky sematics. There are physical laws, and from these emerge patters wich sometimes becomes quite complex, and if these patterns wants to call themelves human or inhuman, dead or alive, happy or suffering, if they want to call some parts "I" and some parts "not me", meaningfull or meaningless, physics dosn't give a ****. I take in information, procces it, and output whatever I think maxemize my expected utility, anything else is irelevant.

Edit: I haven't sleept enoguht, and there weere issues relating to  medecine today, so i take no responsibility for the choherence of that last paragraph, or anything I post today really.
No worries, that last paragraph makes perfect sense... and is pretty close to my own view on the matter.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »

No worries, that last paragraph makes perfect sense... and is pretty close to my own view on the matter.

You mean you haven't slept enough nor taken your medicine either?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2010, 07:21:06 pm »

Humans are as good or as bad as their situation allows them to be. The difference between child soldier and middle schooler is environmental not personal

Once again Piecewise has some great wisdom on how people interact. I'd like to add that personality, happiness, and sadness are all environmental too.

As for society being good or bad, that is completely subjective. Feeding the poor can be seen as good, or horrible if it just stalls them from slowly dying of hunger a little longer, or feeding everyone, which would accelerate the population boom, thus decreasing resources, leading to the concept story behind BF2142
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »

You have to be an expert on that sort of thing when you're a troll.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2010, 08:39:58 pm »

I agree with Smigen.  Part of me thinks we should provide food aid to famine-struck countries, but part of me thinks of Malthus and wonders if we're just prolonging a problem that nature is trying to correct.

That only refers to countries who are having problems because of overpopulation and the like, we should certainly provide aid when a natural disaster strikes.
Shoes...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2010, 08:43:02 pm »

Someone explain to me how culture is "evil".

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2010, 08:46:48 pm »

The TIME CUBE explains succinctly and concisely.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2010, 09:25:22 pm »

You mean you haven't slept enough nor taken your medicine either?
No, I'm a programmer who enjoys complex systems.  ;D

As for malthusian collapse, the assumptions behind it are a bit flawed. For there to be a total, worldwide collapse, there must either by worldwide income and material equality or resources must be depleted to the point where they literally don't exist any more. What really happens is closer to what we see today. World hunger is increasing, with over 1 billion undernourished, a number which has increased faster proportionally than population growth. But this increase in nearly invisible to the highly developed parts of the world who see only relatively small changes in resource availability. So the poor will die, while everyone else goes on more or less unaware that anything has occured.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »

The TIME CUBE explains succinctly and concisely.
I can't stoop low enough to read that bullshit.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2010, 09:32:01 pm »

Not even ironically, huh?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:27 pm »

I got as far as http://timecu.
Then I quit and stopped.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2010, 09:40:08 pm »

i hope you live.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22