Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?  (Read 58716 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me that thinks our culture is horrible?
« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2010, 03:32:27 pm »

I can assure you everyone can imagine like that.
I'm pretu sure they dont. It reures the concius use of quite a few tricks of phsycology, and a reasonable scientific knowledge abaut the thing you're abaut to imagine. It's more like... I guess a decently vivid dream, or a powerfull relived memory, are similar experiences you can have withoute lerning special techniques.

@clones: I never cese being suprised at the sheer patheticness of these forums evry atempt at anything remotely philosopical...
I'd be more inclined to take you seriously if you hadn't just misspelled literally 33% of of the words in that sentence.
My keyboard is broken, I'm geting a new one in a few weeks when my birthday comes around. My mouse is also not in the best shape, so rightclicking evry word is a pain.

I can imagine pretty well. I mean, you have your 3D cinema, but compared to me, its like a 3D cinema and REAL LIFE. HAHAHAHA.
huh? care to clarify? That is either completly wrong, o right on spot, depending on who is who in those pronouns.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »

how old is armok?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2010, 03:36:32 pm »

Older than Phantom, younger than you, probably.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 10, 2010, 03:36:39 pm »

Lol Armok. You're basically saying you're some sort of magic brain wizard. I love it. You may be balls-out crazy, but at least you do it in an awesome way.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2010, 03:46:22 pm »

We can only hope. Strangely it seems like people like you and me are in the upper age limits of this forum. A little bit distressing to know that this game is played primarily by 12-15 year olds. Corrupting the youth for giggles.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2010, 03:47:31 pm »

You are truly a plusgood doublethinker.

I sometimes have weird near-dreams in which I am an amorphous blob seeping down through porous material.

Also, any discussion about anything even remotely philosophical is, by definition, philosophy. Socrates is laughing at us from beyond the grave, but it is a loving, benevolent laugh. Our pointless arguing is making him proud.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2010, 03:54:14 pm »

We can only hope. Strangely it seems like people like you and me are in the upper age limits of this forum. A little bit distressing to know that this game is played primarily by 12-15 year olds. Corrupting the youth for giggles.

The forumites who never plumb the depths of GD are probably nearing their thirties, though. It fits, Toady himself is in his early thirties.

I have a feeling we should do some kind of forum census, but that might be the sleep deprivation talking.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2010, 03:56:24 pm »

You are truly a plusgood doublethinker.

I sometimes have weird near-dreams in which I am an amorphous blob seeping down through porous material.

Also, any discussion about anything even remotely philosophical is, by definition, philosophy. Socrates is laughing at us from beyond the grave, but it is a loving, benevolent laugh. Our pointless arguing is making him proud.
Personally I like to think of myself as the larval form of someone akin to Diogenes of Sinope.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »

I can assure you everyone can imagine like that.
I'm pretu sure they dont. It reures the concius use of quite a few tricks of phsycology, and a reasonable scientific knowledge abaut the thing you're abaut to imagine. It's more like... I guess a decently vivid dream, or a powerfull relived memory, are similar experiences you can have withoute lerning special techniques.

@clones: I never cese being suprised at the sheer patheticness of these forums evry atempt at anything remotely philosopical...
I'd be more inclined to take you seriously if you hadn't just misspelled literally 33% of of the words in that sentence.
My keyboard is broken, I'm geting a new one in a few weeks when my birthday comes around. My mouse is also not in the best shape, so rightclicking evry word is a pain.

I can imagine pretty well. I mean, you have your 3D cinema, but compared to me, its like a 3D cinema and REAL LIFE. HAHAHAHA.
huh? care to clarify? That is either completly wrong, o right on spot, depending on who is who in those pronouns.

It is not.  Anyone with a fully-functioning brain and a capacity for abstract thought can imagine a scenario with full or at least near-full sensory awareness.
Shoes...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2010, 04:14:45 pm »

Wow, I managed to de-rail a thread and drive it into a different city.

The whole brain in a vat things is that you don't have any proof that you are just a brain in a vat. Everything could just be made up for you.

You could be a brain in a vat in some bunker that's survived the apocalypse, and still be in La La Land.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2010, 04:16:42 pm »

Interestingly, if I remember my high school biology classes correctly, children you have with your opposite-sex clone will also be clones of you! Well, there will be two possible variations; there's necessarily a one-chromosome difference between you and your opposite-sex clone or it wouldn't be opposite-sex.

It's a lot more complicated than that.  At least if you're having children via sexual reproduction.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:18:19 pm by Footkerchief »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 10, 2010, 04:27:37 pm »

Interestingly, if I remember my high school biology classes correctly, children you have with your opposite-sex clone will also be clones of you! Well, there will be two possible variations; there's necessarily a one-chromosome difference between you and your opposite-sex clone or it wouldn't be opposite-sex.

It's a lot more complicated than that.  At least if you're having children via sexual reproduction.

Actually he's pretty right about them being near clones. Remember, your exactly 50% DNA from your dad and 50% DNA from your mum. If both of those 50% were exactly the same, then your going to be another clone.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2010, 04:39:03 pm »

Actually he's pretty right about them being near clones. Remember, your exactly 50% DNA from your dad and 50% DNA from your mum. If both of those 50% were exactly the same, then your going to be another clone.

The problem is that the DNA in your mom's and dad's gametes is not the same as the DNA in their somatic cells, due to the process of meiosis, which is why I just linked to the article on meiosis.  It's the same reason your siblings aren't clones of you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:48:57 pm by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 10, 2010, 04:41:51 pm »

The definition of narcissism is looking at yourself in the mirror and going, "God I'd like to have sex with that".

Considering it's titled as a discussion of how horrible culture is, this thread has been a smashing success, on all grounds.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2010, 04:43:13 pm »

We even got Foot involved!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22