Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidental Abandon..... :(  (Read 1058 times)

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accidental Abandon..... :(
« on: May 09, 2010, 04:29:08 am »

Yeah so I accidentally just abandoned my fort.  I was just not paying attention and exited that way and now my save is gone.  Yes I know it prompts me.  Yes I know I'm an idiot.  Is there any way I can recover some or all of my fort?  Even if it's just the embark site?

I don't make any manual backups of any saves.

Please help
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accidental Abandon..... :(
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 04:34:21 am »

You can't 'recover' your fort, though you could try reclaiming it. I hear reclaim is a bit buggy in this release, though.

I'd suggest turning on seasonal autosave in init.txt, though. It'll help prevent this in the future.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:38:18 am »

Reclaim will get you back the fort, but you'll need to start from 7 dwarves again and the place will be a mess afterwards.

Read this wiki page: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Reclaim

It explains the basics, and some things that can be confusing (e.g. workshops need to be reclaimed before dwarves will use them).

Pathos

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:42:32 am »

You can recover the embark site using the seeds you randomly used last time. They'll probably be in your DF folder.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:29 am »

If they aren't in the folder you can get them by playing legends mode and exporting the files.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 03:55:22 pm »

start from 7 dwarves again
Not always.
I had a 100-dwarf reclaim party once.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »

In the old version it was based on the surrounding perils.
So reclaiming a region with a cave or chasm got you more dwarves.
I do not think that is the case with 0.31.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 07:17:31 am »

I reclaimed a fort after a goblin siege wiped it out.  I started with 7 dwarves, and like 40 orcs and some trolls were waiting for me.  The wagon started out on top of a small roof I'd constructed over the fort entrance, surrounded by enemies.  But, nobody made a move.  It turns out the new "owners" of my fort were Friendly now.  They had made a terrible terrible mess, though, and there were 60 bodies of the previous owners to move to the refuse piles besides that.

Obviously it's easier to reclaim than to build from scratch, but you will be spending a lot of time moving everything back to the proper stockpiles.  And all the food and booze will have spoiled, so make sure to bring enough.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 07:28:40 am »

Also, abandoning a fortress removes mud from all tiles, meaning that you'll have to re-irrigate all your farms. And I think there was some thing where jobs were not properly deassigned on abandon resulting in some items getting frozen in time, never rotting, with your dwarves unable to interact with them in any way. Other than the problems mentioned, though, reclaiming works just fine.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 07:37:57 am »

I reclaimed a fort after a goblin siege wiped it out.  I started with 7 dwarves, and like 40 orcs and some trolls were waiting for me.  The wagon started out on top of a small roof I'd constructed over the fort entrance, surrounded by enemies.  But, nobody made a move.  It turns out the new "owners" of my fort were Friendly now.  They had made a terrible terrible mess, though, and there were 60 bodies of the previous owners to move to the refuse piles besides that.

Obviously it's easier to reclaim than to build from scratch, but you will be spending a lot of time moving everything back to the proper stockpiles.  And all the food and booze will have spoiled, so make sure to bring enough.

I found the exact same instance in adventure mode. I went in there expecting a suicide mission for what little revenge I could dispense to my invaders, but it turns out their elites were too happy to stand by and chat! I guess dwarves aren't any sport unless they're all holed up in their fortresses.