Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Natural Gas and Ventilation shafts....  (Read 9617 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Natural Gas and Ventilation shafts....
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

I'm just going to brain storm here a bit and just type whatever comes to mind which seems like a good idea....

I think natural gas would be a awesome feature for the game.

Few of the things you can do with natural gas...

#1 (When lighting is implemented) All the torches in your fortress can be linked to a natural gas line. (Otherwise all the torches would have to be refilled all the time, if thats how its planned to be)

#2 (Do dwarfs get cold?) if they do, or if they will at some point in the future, Natural gas would be a great way to heat up rooms.

#3 Flooding your entrance room with natural gas would/could knock out any creatures in that room. Rather then flood the room out and killing all the invading enemy's in there,(also i would think its possible that one of your own dwarfs could get stuck in there when you hit the lever for the flood gate), well then also your dwarf would get knocked out as well, sparing his life.

In fact natural gas could be a fail safe in a way, in case one of your dwarfs get caught in there by accident. You can just gas the room, but also leave in the options for flooding and magma  :)

Ventilation.

Ventilation shafts would be used to carry natural gas to different areas.

Ventilation shafts should be build able only in walls. The walls don't need to be removed to have a shaft in them.

Valves and other such things can be made which hang off the walls or connect with a wall with a ventilation shaft in it, to control flow.

Ventilation shafts could also be used to carry heat from a furnace or a magma chamber, how ever some sort of "Bellows" which can be hooked up to a powder source would be needed to blow the hot air through the ventilation shafts.

Ventilation shafts should only be build able in a wall next to a dwarf, IE it cant be built 2 tiles away from where the dwarf can reach.

A Ventilation shaft could as well be built from your Refuse room to the outside to air out any miasma that comes about, or the butcher shop as well, which seems to get it once in a while.

I don't know how possible it is that either of these ideas will ever come about in the game, but i think they would be awesome features if they can be added in.

I'm pretty sure from reading AD&D fantasy stuff that dwarfs used natural gas?

Also i'm sure theres plenty of other things which Natural gas and ventilation shafts could be used for, i only started with ideas. I could go on for hours... But i'm not  :)

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Gas and Ventilation shafts....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

Ventilation shafts can already be emulated, and natural gas (especially using it for HEATING) is a pretty straightforward No.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 01:29:00 am »

Actually i don't think he meant it for heating, rather just flammable gas you can hit pockets of, which have a chance of exploding when you mine into it, or could cause your dwarves to suffocate.

Or something we can pipe into chambers below our above ground barracks, and then ignite while our brave, unarmed warriors hold the enemy!

>.>

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 01:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shaio:
<STRONG>Actually i don't think he meant it for heating, rather just flammable gas you can hit pockets of, which have a chance of exploding when you mine into it, or could cause your dwarves to suffocate.</STRONG>

#1 and #2.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:03:00 am »

No i ment for it to be a heating source to keep dwarfs warm.

But theres still plenty of other uses for it, doesn't have to be used for heat   :)

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Ventilation shafts can already be emulated, and natural gas (especially using it for HEATING) is a pretty straightforward No.</STRONG>

How can they be emulated exactally?

What cant they be used for currently, and how are they built?

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

I must say Mr Moon that i quite like all your ideas, another thought, if you were to have gas that knocks people out and perhaps suffocates them you could build vents into certain fire-risky rooms such as the ale stockpile and if a fire were to occur then just pump in some CO2 (anyone know how to do the tiny '2'?)or a noble gas of some sort....i also know that there are gases that will join with Oxygen extermly quickly and littraly remove all oxygen from a room in seconds (my mums old office had it in there server room incase of fire) though i must admit i dont have a clue how common or if those types of gases occur naturally or have to be made.

edit: oh and i think Torak may have ment you can make pritty things that look like ventilations shafts, though im not Torak so i may be completly wrong.

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: Sir Edmund ]

EE
E@E
EEE

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

Methane pockets near coal would be a nice hazard to have. Especially if picks hitting rock would create sparks.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

There would also have to be canaries or equivalent that can be carried by your dwarves.

The Stray Blue Jay (tame) has died of suffocation.
"Dai" Bomrekdolil, Miner cancels mining:  Gas detected.

(I'm joking, of course.  This would be realistic but probably require too much work to make it both realistic and fun.)

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

I think that using gas to light lamps and warm the fortress is a bit ahead of even dwarven technology, but I think it would make a cool mining hazard, and some awesome traps.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

I approve of the ventilation shafts, traps, and gas pockets.  I can see it being difficult to detect the gas pockets though.

We need more uses for waterwheels and things, I built a 4 tile thick waterwheel in a brook once out of habit before I realized I had absolutely no reason to hook power up to anything, let alone 400 units of it.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

I like the mining gas hazard idea... maybe oil pockets too then let us set up flaming barrels of oil like Donkey Kong

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>There would also have to be canaries or equivalent that can be carried by your dwarves.

The Stray Blue Jay (tame) has died of suffocation.
"Dai" Bomrekdolil, Miner cancels mining:  Gas detected.

(I'm joking, of course.  This would be realistic but probably require too much work to make it both realistic and fun.)</STRONG>

On the contrary, this could probably be implemented if Gas Pockets where going in- I imagine that vermin could get a [gas_sensitive] flag, and if they are a pet, the dwarf would take notice if the pet lizard on his shoulder died. They could even get a unique thought such as "He has been warned of gas by a pet recently" or "He has lost a cherished pet to gas." Depending on the dwarve's personality, these thoughts could have a net positive or net negative effect on his mood.

Sounds Dwarfy to me.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I think that using gas to light lamps and warm the fortress is a bit ahead of even dwarven technology, but I think it would make a cool mining hazard, and some awesome traps.</STRONG>

You really think so? Ive always thought of the dwarfs as smart little guys, i don't see why they couldn't figure out that natural gas could be used as a fuel source. Specially if theres the risk they could cause a explosion in a mine. I don't see it being beyond them to figure to use natural gas as a sort of fuel for heating.

But using natural gas for fort defense is the best part of having the natural gas anyways.

Once heating gets implemented, wood stocks will go down pretty quickly when you have a couple 100 dwarfs living in your fortress. The game might become unbalanced without other fuel sources for heating. Don't you think?

Also, doesnt natural gas have a distinct smell, aint it the same stuff used in our houses for heating and cooking?

There are other gases, like sulfur and such around volcano's, theres a few which dont have smells, those are the ones you need the small animals for.

Also some gases are see through and some are not.

If gases get implemented the designer of this game is going to have to do a bit of research  :D

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

Fenrir

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>Also, doesnt natural gas have a distinct smell, aint it the same stuff used in our houses for heating and cooking?</STRONG>

That smell is added to it so we can detect leaks before we blow the sh*t out of ourselves.

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Wow, i did not know that!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4