Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Natural Gas and Ventilation shafts....  (Read 9620 times)

Ergates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Gas and Ventilation shafts....
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

The gas is highly toxic, however it is also very strong smelling - so you can easily smell it at very low levels (10,000 times less than it takes to do you any harm).  Also, it isn't something that builds up in your body, so if it doesn't hurt you there and then you'll be fine.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

Always nice to know...

My concern is that dwarves totally couldn't *store* natural gas.  We don't currently have very good pipes, and we TOTALLY don't have a way to pressurize gas.

Steam pipes would come before gas pipes, and steamtech is already known to be OUT of the game.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

heating not too important, cooling/ventilaion more so.

This because the deeper you go underground, the hotter it becomes.

Considdering the quantity of beer and food these guys eat, I assume their metabolism requires oxigen to keep running too.

Near the surface fresh dwarfs may get into trouble early on should they decide to liv e on a glacier.

iirc I had a miasma going up a stairwell, so that seems an indication of some sort of rudimentary ventilation flow. (may have been a fluke)

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Areyar:
<STRONG>heating not too important, cooling/ventilaion more so.

This because the deeper you go underground, the hotter it becomes.

Considdering the quantity of beer and food these guys eat, I assume their metabolism requires oxigen to keep running too.

Near the surface fresh dwarfs may get into trouble early on should they decide to liv e on a glacier.

iirc I had a miasma going up a stairwell, so that seems an indication of some sort of rudimentary ventilation flow. (may have been a fluke)</STRONG>

I don't think that is due to any type of air flow, or vent flow, i think the miasma just spreads out in all directions, the miasma can flow down i think also. Not 100% sure tho.

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »

So im reading "The Quintessential Dwarf" (AD&D)

Im reading about a "Gas Finder" which i think is cool.

It reads ....

Gas Finder: This cylindrical device contains an oil-fed flame, which draws air through a one-way valve on the bottom and expels smoke and fumes through another one-way valve at the top. A strand of waxed hair is strung through the cylinder far enough above the flame to avoid burning under normal conditions. If a dangerously explosive gas enters the gas finder, however, the flame will burn through the hair, causing both valves to slam shut to prevent an explosion. On the other hand, if an asphyxiating gas fouls the air in a tunnel, the flame is extinguished. In Either case, the gas finder warns the user of a potential gas hazards before they can cause any harm. The gas finder provides light as a bull's-eye lantern.

I think this is a awesome idea   :D

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

No comments ? :-\

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

A canary seems funnier, somehow.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

Volcanic gas is crazy.  I saw a documentary on it.  There are like, death pockets or something, where the gas, since it's heavier then air, builds up.  If something wonders in it and dies, the smell attracts other scavengers, and they end up dying, so you have a graveyard of rotting animals.

One guy was showing a local tribe the dangers of it.  He had a flare that created a lot of smoke.  The smoke was heavier then air, but lighter then the gas, so when he throw it in one of the pockets near the village, the smoke rose up and created this really cool layer of smoke right above the gas pocket, so you could see exactly where it was.  It was neat.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

There should be dangerous gases, dwarf-created funk and dust in the air, to necessitate ventilation systems. A large, expanding city housing dozens of hard-working dwarves shouldn't be able to survive with a couple of stairwells serving as the only ventilation shafts.
An effective, low-tech indication for low air quality, besides pets and vermin dying, would be repeated vomiting. A vomit covered corridor could serve as the sign for bad air quality.
Simple and effective ventilation systems are naturally constructed by tunneling insects, so the concept shouldn't be beyond tunneling, sentient dwarves.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 04:27:00 am »

Except the whole Adding Another Flow Issue.

I forget the name, but the "solar system sized computer" (basically a computer utilizing all of the sun's output, the dyson sphere itself one very large silicone structure), that.  At some point I think it will be the only computer capable of running DF because of all the stuff it simulates or users want it to simulate.  Simulating 6 billion brains and the world around them is approximately 10^33 - 10^36 opperations per second.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2015, 10:19:07 am »

I'd just like to mention the Chinese were using natural gas as fuel in 400 BC, with bamboo pipes distributing it. Source: http://csegrecorder.com/articles/view/ancient-chinese-drilling
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:57:24 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2015, 11:10:40 am »

I'd just like to mention the Chinese we're using natural gas as fuel in 400 BC, with bamboo pipes distributing it. Source: http://csegrecorder.com/articles/view/ancient-chinese-drilling

Ok, that's downright insane.  And awesome.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2015, 12:58:23 pm »

And dwarfy.
IMHO, anyways.

I could see a 3x3 building that takes in water and drill segments to dig a 1x1 shaft filled with muddy water.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 05:08:41 am »

Dwarves should definitely be able to use natural gas and  and crude oil. Even as heating.

I mean, they live underground, they should find it all the time and it should definitely be "hey it's explosive/flammable... why can't I use it as liquid coal/a way to kill goblins/a way to mine" ?

The 1400 technology cutoff is a cutoff for humans, that is for an aboveground civilization. Dwarves are an underground civilization. They should have different tech regarding underground stuff. Hell, they have minecart rollers, and metallic minecarts, which are pretty much Renaissance/Industrial Revolution as it is.

Already I'm surprised at why they domesticated animals like dogs and cats (you know, forest/plains dwellers) and not things like crundles as pets, and dralthas instead of cows.

Yaks and mountain goats yes, because they shave the same starting biome. But waterfowl ? Hell, cows, which require large amounts of grass, and not cave fungi, to eat ?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 08:46:04 am »

Already I'm surprised at why they domesticated animals like dogs and cats (you know, forest/plains dwellers) and not things like crundles as pets, and dralthas instead of cows.

Yaks and mountain goats yes, because they shave the same starting biome. But waterfowl ? Hell, cows, which require large amounts of grass, and not cave fungi, to eat?
Maybe they just got the knowledge from humans. Dwarves do find nature somewhat disturbing, after all. Maybe domestication wasn't high on their priority, and they just stuck with wild purring maggots until the humans came along with their exotic cheeses. Wagon corpses were pulled by dwarves.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4