Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting construction strategies  (Read 1585 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Starting construction strategies
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:50:22 pm »

So it seems that whenever I start a fort I am faced with later difficulties from it.

I eventually want a grand atrium/ entrance with compartmentalized stair/rampways (prevents forgotten beasts from getting in from below). What I'm able to start constructing immediately is anything but.... If I take too long, my economy is stalled and sooner or later (typically sooner) goblins come. Goblins are now a huge threat thanks to a bug making all armor as strong as steel (See Capt Duck's new videos). Did I mention I have no armor at this point because I can't get a respectable magma forge up? Yeah.... As the Capt shows, unarmed, unarmored, uncombat trained starting Dwarves v. armed, armored, and combat trained Goblins die easily and quickly.

This got me thinking, why not build an original fort only meant to be used for a limited time and later integrate it into the overall fort design as an exterior tower, etc? I imagine zones/burrows would need to be redone as well as stockpiles etc.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.