Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bugged strange mood again?  (Read 8546 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bugged strange mood again?
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:30:01 am »

A moody dwarf sketches shining bars of metal, square blocks, and a quarry.  I have plenty of metal bars, stone, and stone blocks all around.

Why isn't this guy completing his mood?  Does the dwarf want some certain type (among the many different kinds) of metal?

This is really, really, really not fun.  Are moods just broken in the latest release?

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bugged strange mood again?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:34:35 am »

Right next to my moody dwarf is a bin with plenty of copper bars and a silver bar.

Is there a hack program I can use to see the actual ingredients the dwarf wants?

Moods, for me, are the most enjoyment-killing aspect of the game right now.  The game might as well have "Bim Leknish instantly dies for a mysterious reason", for all the good moods are right now.

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:40:56 am »

What's a program for editing / understanding strange moods?  I hear references to Dwarf Companion on the forums, but I can't seem to find a copy of it.  Google searches don't yield anything.  Where can I find it?

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:10:40 am »

Not to sound like a dick but http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Dwarf_Companion

First result from google.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:00:17 am »

That program doesn't support the latest version of Dwarf Fortress.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:24:02 am »

The moody dwarf may demand specific metal bars, so you have to check their description to see if he has any preferences in metals. If he has, that's the most likely what is required.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 03:04:52 am »

I had a case where the requirements started repeating making me think they had ended when they hadn't. There were actually another set of identical additional requirements making it look like it was repeating. It was some order like rocks, bars, gems, rocks, bars, shells or something horrible.

Are you sure nothing else is missing from the list? What has he collected already? (use 't' to view the workshop).

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:07:37 am »

If he wants metal bars and isn't going for the metal you have, he wants a specific metal.  Metals in moods fall under 2 categories.
a.) Closest available
b.) Specific type

If he wants a specific type, look at his preferences.  He'll want whatever metal he has a preference for.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:28 am »

If all else fails, build cage traps around his workshop... You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 11:38:01 am »

Had a recent mood where the dwarf decided to do nothing at all, even with multiple of every time of workshop.  He got beaten to death by the cows in the dinning room.   :D

Don't mess with those haunting moos.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:42:15 am »

Did you have the non-magma smelter and glass furnace?  I once had a mood come up and the dwarf didn't claim the magma shops, but when I built the non-magma version (glassworks in this case), he sauntered on over.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:54:17 am »

This won't help you immediately, but I've started requesting a couple bars of every metal I haven't found in my fort, just to have on hand.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 12:45:18 pm »

This won't help you immediately, but I've started requesting a couple bars of every metal I haven't found in my fort, just to have on hand.

That's what I have been doing just in case.  Also helps for nobles who request 3 of X when you don't have X available on site.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »

Buy 2-3 of each metal bar, buy 2-3 of each gem, leave a bin of CS and GCS cloth lying around, have shells on standby. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »

You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Sigging this.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2