Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf companion 2, you should really use runesmith !  (Read 29345 times)

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf companion 2
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 05:41:11 pm »

It probably means you have to install the microsoft C runtime (cf. link in the first post). I'll try to find a way to avoid that.
I did install it. Before I posted here. There was no difference without or with redi. package.

I might be a dizzy mothe..ucker... but I'm not that stupid, the first thing I do is to read "readme" and then do what the artist had in his mind, step by step

ed: on another note: jaybud4 - you should get rid of that "tech guru" if you don't know how batch files work...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:43:59 pm by bdog »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »

ed: on another note: jaybud4 - you should get rid of that "tech guru" if you don't know how batch files work...
I know how batch files work just fine, thanks.
I just didn't see you execute it at the top of that snippet.
That has nothing to do with my technical knowledge.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Doughboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »

This app has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more information.

The app does not produce any crash log or I could post it for more info as to what is causing this error.

binhex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 12:03:31 am »

This app has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more information.

Same here. I'm on Windows 7 64bit, and I installed the vcredist_x86.exe as mentioned.

I think this may be because companion2.exe was compiled with the debug libraries which come with visual studio, or something like that.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 03:27:47 am »

Ok I clearly have no clue about Windows app distribution, so I'll just document myself and try again.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 06:06:56 am »

Ok I clearly have no clue about Windows app distribution, so I'll just document myself and try again.

Turns out I can't release "static" versions easily as the GTK+ bundle I use should not be used with a visual studio version of 6 or more :/

I'll soon try to release "Release" versions that should work with VS redistributable runtime.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 06:53:40 am »

New test. It worked on a "just installed" windows xp3, so should be cool for everybody here.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 08:15:57 am »

*pokes it carefully with a stick* *Waits a few seconds then pokes it again with his finger*

Spiffy, it didn't blow up.  And it seems nice and functional.  I like how it gives me numeric values for all the attributes as well as the racial average next to it.  And its amusing that it appears a dog has more linguistic sense than my entire fortress.

In the view dropdown it appears that after you click on one of the filters there is no way to turn the filter off.  Clicking the filter again does nothing.  Not too big a deal, since I can just restart companion to get it back to default.

I understand that this is only a half done thing, but I already get some amusement out of it, keep up the good work!

P.S. A donkey has far and above more intuition than everything else on the map.  And another dog just beat everyone else for kinstetics_sense.

P.P.S. Really, Really, Creative cow alert.  It makes art out of it's 'pies'
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:27:57 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 08:37:03 am »

Yup, it works.  Great for checking out my numbers and stuff.  So far, I have found that Smoothing and Engraving doesn't alter any attributes, and that socializing doesn't seem to alter empathy or social awareness.  Which is odd, because the dwarves gathered round the wagon are improving their social skills.   :P

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:53 am »

Works, but I can't wait for functioning mood editing. (Curse you, fey child asking for shell!)
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

binhex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 01:29:39 pm »

Works for me now, thanks for the great work!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 02:09:49 pm »

And its amusing that it appears a dog has more linguistic sense than my entire fortress.
Your dog is very well trained.  It understands commands in any language.
A donkey has far and above more intuition than everything else on the map
Compared to dwarves?  Expected.  "Oh, the magma appears to be hot and have set me on fire.  I shall go get a drink.  Oh, the booze appears to be burning."
And another dog just beat everyone else for kinstetics_sense.
Dwarves dodge into magma...
Really, Really, Creative cow alert.  It makes art out of it's 'pies'
Ok, that one I can't explain.  I don't see how a cow can be more creative than the creator of an artifact Lignite quern.

But really, most of those stats sound perfectly reasonable  :P

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »

Wonderful!

Fatness is supposedly genetic in livestock. Can that variable/attribute be tracked?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »

Ah, I see that "Traits" is just broken for me. I see nothing but a large empty gray box.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 10:07:28 pm »

I see an empty grey box as well.  I just assumed it was either an unfinished feature, or didn't work with my modded fortress race.

I have a minor feature request if it wouldn't be too hard.  Any way for the game to tell you a creature's actual size by chance.  Some of the new random stuff like forgotten beasts and such don't really give much indication to their actual size.  It would also be nice to get a more specific size value for other creatures as well.  Like exactly how much bigger one dog is from another and such.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6