Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarf companion 2, you should really use runesmith !  (Read 29333 times)

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf companion 2, probably to be discontinuated
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:33 am »

Anyway, if you are discontinuing Companion I guess all I can say is thanks for all the fun.  I'll miss it, but you deserve free time. :)

It seems to be alright now, but there is somebody working on a tool that would do the same. If it is released soon I'll help him instead.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2010, 09:25:07 am »

Eh? Linky to the tool would be much appreciated, I need the ability to revive dwarves as skeletons and zombies for the lulz!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2010, 10:26:01 am »

Anyway, if you are discontinuing Companion I guess all I can say is thanks for all the fun.  I'll miss it, but you deserve free time. :)

It seems to be alright now, but there is somebody working on a tool that would do the same. If it is released soon I'll help him instead.

Dfhack?

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2010, 12:29:16 pm »

The new tool is based on dfhack yes and it's not developed enough to allow editing just yet
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2010, 12:37:36 pm »

This guy cannot wait until the editing feature is available. Does this new tool have a name?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2010, 04:15:35 pm »

Not liking the very un-DF-suited name.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2010, 04:59:03 pm »

You don't like the name Runesmith?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 05:00:47 pm »

I think it's fitting.

Seems dwarfs and elves are typically the two beings associated with runes.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2010, 05:03:21 pm »

Yeah and in general Dwarven lore, runes are things of great power. And since the idea of the application is to edit most aspects of your Dwarves, it seemed fitting.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2010, 05:42:44 pm »

thank you bartavelle, your dwarf companion allowed me to get into the game before I knew what I was doing, I've progressed past it, and it is sad to hear that it will not be continued, but have fun with whatever else you'll be doing.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2010, 06:07:04 pm »

I think Runescape and a few other abuses of the word rune have ruined anything along the lines of "runesmith" for me.

And no, "runes" are a system of lettering, not "things of great power" or whatever. That's from games like Runescape bastardizing the meaning. I wouldn't hesitate to say that "runesmith" most likely comes from the game Runescape. You can't be a runesmith, unless you forge letters out of metal. DF generally doesn't go in for the whole hokey cliche thing, so I think the name is un-DF-y.

Of course some of that is just my opinion. But I think it ought to be taken into consideration, the same way we consider whether things from 4chan should come over here and then there's that loud, resounding "NO!"
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »

You can be a runesmith if you are a blacksmith-decorator :P.

I have nothing against a "lettersmith" name, although it doesn't give any good sense.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2010, 06:36:52 pm »

I think Runescape and a few other abuses of the word rune have ruined anything along the lines of "runesmith" for me.

And no, "runes" are a system of lettering, not "things of great power" or whatever. That's from games like Runescape bastardizing the meaning. I wouldn't hesitate to say that "runesmith" most likely comes from the game Runescape. You can't be a runesmith, unless you forge letters out of metal. DF generally doesn't go in for the whole hokey cliche thing, so I think the name is un-DF-y.

Of course some of that is just my opinion. But I think it ought to be taken into consideration, the same way we consider whether things from 4chan should come over here and then there's that loud, resounding "NO!"

Actually I've never played Runescape and neither have I ever stooped low enough to visit 4chan. In Warhammer (fantasy) there exist Runesmiths and certain runes hold great power and I happen to be a fan of the warhammer universe. In tolkien lore there are also runes of power, such as those on the doors of moria, and funnily enough I like tolkien's works aswell.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:38:51 pm by sizeak »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2010, 07:28:25 pm »

When I think of runes I think of Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction.

A single rune was by itself magical, but not at all powerful. However if you made runewords by combining a bunch of runes together, you could get some pretty amazing items.

He could opt out of an interesting name and call it... "Dwarf Fortress Creature Editor" or some such.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6