Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf companion 2, you should really use runesmith !  (Read 29335 times)

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
Dwarf companion 2, you should really use runesmith !
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:26 am »

Runesmith is here : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0;topicseen

Not much for now, only let you watch some creature stats. I'd like people to test it so that I get a clue on how you should distribute windows binaries :

http://bigbox.banquise.net/dc/companion2-alpha2.zip

Run the file called "companion2". If it whines about a bad program configuration, run the microsoft program in the REDIST directory. It contains the C runtime that couldn't be found.

If you want to test it under linux,

Code: [Select]
git clone git://bigbox.banquise.net/dfhack
git checkout dc

Then follow dfhack build instructions, it should produce the file in the "output" directory.

Update: there seems to be someone working on a tool that's a lot like DC, also based on dfhack. I'll keep on contributing to dfhack when I have time as this is the part I enjoy. Check this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:32:49 am by bartavelle »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf companion 2
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:58:00 am »

As much as I do like the windows binary method, the python had the advantage of being multiplatform...
Not that it really matters at the moment, since there's only a Windows version of 0.31.x, but...
I'm not so sure the average Windows user is going to know how to modify the %PATH envar without breaking anything...
--Of course, we're not necessarily the average user here...--
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:18:30 am »

As much as I do like the windows binary method, the python had the advantage of being multiplatform...

I write it on linux, hence my question about windows distribution methods that I have no clue about. I'm working on it during that phase and will release a windows binary + linux (or certainly most unixes) sources.

I'm trying right now to post something that will not require installation of GTK.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:28:58 am by bartavelle »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:51 am »

You might want to ask the guy who created the win32 binaries for the original DC (whose name escapes me) how he embedded all the libraries you had in use then.  That might help you out a tad.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:41:46 am »

You might want to ask the guy who created the win32 binaries for the original DC (whose name escapes me) how he embedded all the libraries you had in use then.  That might help you out a tad.

I believe you still needed to install GTK, right ?

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:46:01 am »

Was it all statically linked?  It would make for a massive executable, but no pesky DLL dependency hell...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:52:26 am »

I believe you still needed to install GTK, right ?
Quote from: Wiki
does not require Python or any of the other of the dependencies to be installed
Was it all statically linked?  It would make for a massive executable, but no pesky DLL dependency hell...
Indeed.  13.36 MB.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:54:07 am by jaybud4 »

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:27:43 am »

Ok, here is a distribution that does not require you to install GTK.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 10:10:04 am »

Might I suggest using Qt
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:05 am »

Might I suggest using Qt

Or wxWidgets, or FLTK, or any of these

Seriously, it's a matter of taste, style, comfort, and a certain randomness.  GTK+ is LGPL, which prohibits static linking unless you also provide the full source (so the end user can freely relink).  Qt is also LGPL under C++.  FLTK is designed to be used as a static library, and therefore easy to embed.  Those are the ones I have a passing reference to (I'm not a licensing or programming guru by any stretch), therefore YMMV.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 10:39:27 am »

Might I suggest using Qt

I'd rather have somebody working on the UI stuff that i loathe. GTK has a nice UI builder, is crossplatform, and has stuff (like treemodels) that saves time. It seems that I can just ship it with the program without (technical) hurdle, so the GTK distribution problem is solved.

If I could use whatever I wanted, I'd go for C# and .NET controls, but many people wanted it to run properly under linux, and I'd rather use DFHack without having to write tons of binding code.

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:40:27 am »

It's not working for me

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gkt-demo.exe runs fine, well putting aside warnings about not existing source files (It was working before and after installing redistributable package) so I have no clue whats wrong.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »

It's not working for me

System nie może wykonać określonego programu. (which would probably translate to "System cannot execute this program.")

It probably means you have to install the microsoft C runtime (cf. link in the first post). I'll try to find a way to avoid that.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 01:04:45 pm »

It probably means you have to install the microsoft C runtime (cf. link in the first post). I'll try to find a way to avoid that.
Not necessarily.
Run it by running the "run.bat" file.
P:\df2010\companiondist>companion2.exe
That appears to be companion2.exe, not run.bat

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:33 pm »

P:\df2010\companiondist>companion2.exe
That appears to be companion2.exe, not run.bat

It looks like the output of the .bat file.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6