Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Doomed to rot sooner than expected?  (Read 6063 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doomed to rot sooner than expected?
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:08 pm »

My dwarves managed to easily defeat a pushover giant cave crab forgotten beast.  However, it had deadly blood that causes rot.  So this seems to be somehow spreading.  Am I basically screwed in this situation?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Doomed to rot sooner than expected?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:49:59 pm »

Yes. Hide your dwarves that are not covered in the deadly blood and run a dfhack script to clean the crap off your fort after the necrosis epidemic stops.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:25 pm »

Basically. Upload a video of the fort's death to the DFMA.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:53:36 pm »

Yes. Hide your dwarves that are not covered in the deadly blood and run a dfhack script to clean the crap off your fort after the necrosis epidemic stops.

How does one go about doing this hack?

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:56:31 pm »

Wiki has it under ,"cheating"
Sig to be updated momentarily.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:03:50 pm »

Never mind, I'm scumming back a season to spawn something that isn't complete doom as a forgotten beast.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:06:05 pm »

The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Ok, took three tries to get something killable.  First was another deadly blood.  Then a beastie made out of invincible material.  So now I've got a feathered crocodile that should be possible.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:12:50 pm by buzz killington »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:18:05 pm »

The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Ok, took three tries to get something killable.  First was another deadly blood.  Then a beastie made out of invincible material.  So now I've got a feathered crocodile that should be possible.

You know, inorganics can still be killed by beheading. Unless it was a blob. Then you'd need a cave-in.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:19:59 pm »

Managed to kill the feathered crocodile so its all good.

Also, the rotting death was less hilarious than imagined.  Everyone just ends up with rotten feet and get stuck in one place while forming miasma.  Which I guess is sort of funny, but dwarves without feet don't do much interesting.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:25:05 pm by buzz killington »

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

There is one solution to forgotten beasts with any sort of lethal fluid.

Divide your military into squads of 3 / 4.  Send these at the creature one at a time.  Forbid the corpses of all who die.  Once - if - it dies, immediately forbid its corpse.  Station the military on top of its corpse, and then wall it all in.  The extract must not be allowed to spread.

I've had to close off my forts main entrance entirely.  I fought a forgotten beast with deadly gas (extract), and after a slow plague that hurt only one dwarf and numerous war dogs seemed to die down, I got sieged, sent my military outside to fight it off...  and the rain washed the extract off into massive pools of blood, which half of my workers then ran through to collect goblin corpses and goods.  I've struggled to control the contamination since.  The trade depot is lost. 

The good news, though, is that one of my weapon masters began running about in a fey mood, and through careful manipulation he not only used adamantine wafers, but the bones of this same forgotten beast, to create a magnificent battle axe. 
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 08:25:48 pm »

Divide your military into squads of 3 / 4.  Send these at the creature one at a time.  Forbid the corpses of all who die.  Once - if - it dies, immediately forbid its corpse.  Station the military on top of its corpse, and then wall it all in.  The extract must not be allowed to spread.

I've had to close off my forts main entrance entirely.  I fought a forgotten beast with deadly gas (extract), and after a slow plague that hurt only one dwarf and numerous war dogs seemed to die down, I got sieged, sent my military outside to fight it off...  and the rain washed the extract off into massive pools of blood, which half of my workers then ran through to collect goblin corpses and goods.  I've struggled to control the contamination since.  The trade depot is lost. 

The good news, though, is that one of my weapon masters began running about in a fey mood, and through careful manipulation he not only used adamantine wafers, but the bones of this same forgotten beast, to create a magnificent battle axe.

epic

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 08:47:44 pm »

epic

Quotin' this for truth, that's pro dwarfing right there.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

Sigg'd!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 11:09:28 pm »

I cannot think of a more awesome roleplaying situation than having an underground city split in half. One side full of terrified workers, struggling to make do with a depleted workforce. The other, full of shambling, rotting half-corpses that cannot find release.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

VoidPointer

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 12:04:55 am »

I cannot think of a more awesome roleplaying situation than having an underground city split in half. One side full of terrified workers, struggling to make do with a depleted workforce. The other, full of shambling, rotting half-corpses that cannot find release.

That is so going in my Dwarf Fortress-based D&D campaign.
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110
01001001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110
Pages: [1] 2