Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 597894 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #600 on: July 27, 2010, 03:12:13 pm »

No moving!  :D
Also, this is going too well. I predict another enormous tragedy soon. Pray that I'm wrong.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 27, 2010, 03:43:38 pm »

No moving!  :D
Also, this is going too well. I predict another enormous tragedy soon. Pray that I'm wrong.

You know, I would accuse you of jinxing it, but actually, jinxing in Dwarf Fortress seems to work in reverse.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 27, 2010, 08:16:45 pm »

5th Limestone, 512

The first round of trading went well.  We managed to trade away a few rock crafts, and a lot of random bits of clothing for a pile of booze, seeds, and food that we desperately needed.  I also traded for three dog cages.  It seems like our dog populate was wiped out at some point in the past and I miss the little guys.  I need to have a few more items moved to the trade depot before we can liberate ^H^H^Htrade for a few metal bars and maybe some more livestock.

After chasing Twobeard around for a few days the human animal dissector finally managed to get a meeting with him.

10th Limestone, 512

The second round of trading was a success.  We have obtained everything we wanted from the traders.

13th Limestone, 512

The merchants have embarked on their journey.  Safe travels!

16th Limestone, 512

Twobeards met again with the strange human Ote Rorekturot.  It was a long meeting but Twobeards hasn't said what they discussed.  I did notice a case of whip wine, that we just traded for, is missing.  That Twobeards is a sneaky guy.  I can only hope that our generous trading with the humans will bring them around this way again next year.

17th Limestone, 512

Another "meeting" today.  Twobeards relayed the message this time:

Ugh, I opened the gates to let the trade caravan out and folks started leaving.  First the blacksmith who was on break, and then two of the children decided to go on walkabout outside the gate.  I tried to tell them how unsafe the place is, but after being cooped up in here for months I guess they just had to stretch their legs.

Eral has come back but now Fikod is touring the countryside and Inod declared that she was going to go out and gather some plants down in that hole to the north.. that place is a real danger.  I thought I had ripped up all plant gathering certificates for areas outside of the fortress, so I don't know where she thinks she is going.  Don't they know it is dangerous!

I don't really remember poor Sethrist, but Inod found his broken body, or what was left of it.

19th Limestone, 512

I've turned on the FAILCANNON again.  It will work this time, really.. I mean what could possibly go wrong?

21st Limestone, 512

Rab save me!  You'd think that everyone wants to leave this place or something.  Inod safely made it back once again defying the odds and now Dishmab has decided to collect webs from guess where... yeah that stinking hole.  I should have bricked up myself ages ago except that I have enough sense to stay inside the gates!

23rd Limestone, 512

Rab be praised!  The humans are gone and everyone is back inside safe and sound.  Unbelievable.

On the other hand guess what doesn't work right?  Yeah the FAILCANNON.  See it turns out the pumps weren't built with space to allow for their gears to connect up to the pumps below them, so the bottom two levels of pumps are getting no power.  Fine dwarven engineering I tell you.  Its okay I've asked for a couple of walls to be removed and then we'll get some burly dwarves to man two of the pumps until we clear some of the water out.  This is the never ending project.

26th Limestone, 512

I guess I was a bit louder than I meant to be with that last round of shouting about how far behind we are on the FAILCANNON schedule.  Even the children are pitching in at this point.

5th Sandstone

Twobeard has mandated the construction of three traction benches and, of course, we have no chains in stock.  I've given orders for three to be constructed, but it is unclear if we will get to that in short order.  Traction benches are not what we need right now.

10th Sandstone

Kubek answered the call to come pumping and we had a tiny splash of water from the FAILCANNON go in the right direction.

Who can tell me how this is going to end?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

18th Sandstone

Yay something to keep Nagnod company.  Let's just hope this one isn't smart enough to find a way in either, and yes I'm reasonably sure I didn't fix them all.  We have miles of caves and whoever did the coffin in the stairwell retrofit left a lot of holes it seems.

edit: minor typos
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:09:04 pm by Pisano »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 27, 2010, 08:49:17 pm »

Oh yeah, I got a bottle of sewer brew because I remembered that I'd left that deconstructed hatch on the stairwell sometime around galena of my last year, for some reason the dwarves refused to treat it as a door and wouldn't go up through it.

Man we suck, it took us three years to build a basic pump stack weapon. We never get anything right. It's like Murphy's Law in dwarf form.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 27, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »

If it makes you feel better Robocorn, ive been playing this game for years and i still cant work out how to engineer anything properly. Admittedly im a fairly lazy player. Hoping to fix that :P
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 27, 2010, 11:23:56 pm »

Oh yeah, I got a bottle of sewer brew because I remembered that I'd left that deconstructed hatch on the stairwell sometime around galena of my last year, for some reason the dwarves refused to treat it as a door and wouldn't go up through it.

Man we suck, it took us three years to build a basic pump stack weapon. We never get anything right. It's like Murphy's Law in dwarf form.

Excuse me, I built a perfectly well-functioning magma cannon. Admittedly it was only two z-levels high and required manually operation but it worked and I did actually set something living on fire with it.

Oh, on that note, how is the diamond slug doing?

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 27, 2010, 11:31:36 pm »

Excuse me, I built a perfectly well-functioning magma cannon. Admittedly it was only two z-levels high and required manually operation but it worked and I did actually set something living on fire with it.

Oh, on that note, how is the diamond slug doing?

Last I saw it was still alive and still on fire. If it ever gets out you'll have made it a million times worse.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 28, 2010, 01:37:27 am »

Yep, still alive, still on fire.  Probably will be forever.  We have our very own Balrog.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 28, 2010, 01:44:56 am »

Or maybe I'll set up a number of cave-in traps and busy myself with hunting forgotten beasts?

In my experience there is absolutely nothing that can't be killed by dumping a full z-level or two of natural rock on top of it.

On that note, why in the fuck there are so many of the damned things out there?

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 28, 2010, 03:02:15 am »

On that note, why in the fuck there are so many of the damned things out there?

This might not have been adequately explained.
When I genned Aluonra I was going to go out with an adventurer and kill all kinds of demons and semimegabeasts so I could get awesome engravings and statues of him (Instead of Iddor deerlies the moist grotto). So I genned the world to have acid rain inducing scorching biomes, an overabundance of savage biomes, and to be covered with deserts.

Because I wanted to know where these monsters were, I made a lot of caves and set the requirements for their attacks so low that I assumed even the genned cities would get them. Population requirement was around thirty and monetary requirement was around 35000. (Which is why titans have just been showing up)

With forgotten beasts it might just be because it's 511 AG and not 1050 AG and nobody got around to killing them.

Also there are 1000 varieties of demon, if that matters.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:51 am »

That is a nice world indeed.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:23 pm »

This is an absolutely epic fortress you have here. Please sign me up for a future turn! I'll cross my fingers the fortress holds together for a few more years.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:02 pm »

23rd Sandstone, 512

27th Sandstone, 512

I noticed Zon was hauling a skeleton of one of our fallen comrades away to a newly reopened portion of the fort.  It was a ghastly sight, a pile of corpses none of which had been given a proper burial with some even tossed on top of coffins.

16th Timber, 512

and was promptly ambushed by a half a dozen goblin spearmen.  When the militia (of one) gets up top I'll send him out.

18th Timber, 512

And a second ambush... there may be too many for the caravan guards.

19th Timber, 512

Two axe dwarves, a hammer dwarf, and two spear dwarves slew one group of the ambushers, but the other group has killed many of the traders.  Evidently this made a donkey sad and more alarmingly drove one of the other traders insane with rage.  I'm not sure I want to let them in until that guy calms down a bit.

Sad little donkey, it's okay little fella.

Zon sallied forth solo once again.  He is quite fleet of foot, but the dwarves were all but lost by the time he made it to the fight.  One axe dwarf in a martial trance remained, but he was badly wounded.  Zon slipped into the fray with his usual gusto...

eww, in the lower lip!

A small herd of skeletal muskoxen chose that time to join the fray.  Zon is badly outnumbered!  The order to fall back had been given, but such orders are often ignored in the heat of battle and a fleeing goblin led him right into the undead quadrapeds.

The muskoxen are indiscriminate in their attacks aiming blows at goblin and dwarf alike.  A martial trance kept Zon safe and even after it was over he slew one skeletal muskox and two zombie muskoxen.  Amazingly he then chased the rest from the field before returning to the safety of the gates... unscathed.

By now you, the readers of this chronicle, may be sick of hearing how Zon sliced yet another limb off.  This is for you.

21st Timber, 512

The fighting is over, but sadly the dwarven trade caravan is all but wiped out.  The insane merchant is still running around babbling with his donkey and the moans coming from the last axedwarf have stopped signifying his last gasp.  May the mighty Rab embrace him into the earth.

28th Timber, 512

I had minor success sealing off part of the flooded area.  It is hard to get enough folks to man the pumps, but I managed to get half of the FAILCANNON to limp along for a short while which was enough to seal off one area.  Unfortunately the larger and more important area is still not sealed off.

3rd Moonstone, 512

Ah Winter.. Urist the child has organized a party to celebrate the beginning of winter.  I told the workforce that they could take a break.  We've been working non-stop for the last nine months, so I figured it was time to a little bit.  I mean sure there are still dozens of corpses lying about and of course there are pools of blood and excretions from beasts I've forgotten all over the place, why not TAKE A BREAK AND PARTY???.  And, of course, party time means that progress on pretty much everything has ground to a halt.

14th Moonstone, 512

What this really means is that the lone surviving crazy babbling merchant will be leaving soon...

and his little donkey too...

20th Moonstone, 512

I commissioned and had installed 10 fine green glass windows for the overseer's office.  I hope the next to use this office will enjoy them.  Nightmarebros seems to be getting the hang of this glass making thing.  At least he doesn't look like he is going to burn a hand off every time he goes near the magma glass furnace anymore.

1st Opal, 512

Inod was looking a little down and I know she has a penchant for Electrum.  I checked the stock log and we had some electrum bars so I asked Eral on the down low to make a new door, a couple of statuse and an armor stand for her quarters.

I also took the liberty of rewarding myself a bit.  Since I went to the trouble of smelting those 150+ bars of silver, I might as well line my office, bedroom, and tomb with silver items and flooring.  I deserve it.

21nd Opal, 512

A few last modifications have been made to the FAILCANNON.  The top four pumps all operate on windmill power.  The bottom two z-levels of our fair cannon still must be dwarf powered.

22nd Opal, 512

The FAILCANNON is operational, well the southmost pumps are and that was sufficient to seal up one of the breaches.

Now to try and seal the other one.  Twobeards just told me that I'd be replaced we don't get this fixed before the end of the year!  There is little time left, we'll never make it!

And that little brat Likot has decided to thrown a party...this time only the children were invited so the workforce remains intact.  I think they did this so they could drink all the sewer brew without adult supervision.  Those incorrigible lads and lasses.

25th Opal, 512

Tragedy has struck.... right as Dishmab was about to put the final door in place one of our pump operators decided to take a break and a jet of water flushed her into the watery abyss... I don't know if she can get out.

Guess that answers that.

26th Opal, 512

With the death of Dishmab Twobeards has told me that I have until the end of next month to clear up any outstanding paperwork and hand over the keys to the overseer's office.  I will miss the scintillating gem windows.

27th Opal, 512

The cleverly carved crenelations north of the main gate serve as an inlet for some the FAILCANNONs water.

6th Obsidian, 512

It is complete!  The second breach has been sealed.

14th Obsidian, 512

While we've stopped the ocean from streaming in, it appears that there is an aquifer breach as well.

25th Obsidian, 512

The work to repair the cistern is almost complete, which is good because the water levels for the well are getting a little low.  At least I think that is how it gets filled up.  I was told by my predecessor to not pull any of the cistern levers, so I have left them alone.  I can see signs of where a flood went down the main ramp way and I should have them all patched up any day now.

Also of note, the top levels are draining out even with the aquifer breach.  I leave it to my successor to deal with that little problem.

Save here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2844.

edit: added save and a couple more pictures.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:12:23 pm by Pisano »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 28, 2010, 12:53:36 pm »

Wow. My dorf has become quite the handydorf. Always making sure he takes the jobs that have less chance of having his enitre body turned into fine paste.
Also, an excelent turn.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 28, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »

Is my dwarf still alive? If not, I call a migrant with hammer skill. Draft me.

How did the ocean get in? I don't want to go on an archive binge today.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:15:55 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 60