Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598822 times)

frozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim
« Reply #810 on: August 10, 2010, 09:21:20 pm »

Having lurked this since it's inception, I must say it was a great read from all dwarves who were a part of such a grand fortress.  Well done indeed.

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 10, 2010, 09:55:25 pm »

Sad to see it end - one of the best DF stories I've read. And to think people were saying that it was going too well in the middle...

I'm downloading the save and will join in the reclamation efforts, but I don't have much confidence that my computer can handle it.

Edit: ... this place is more of a mess than I realised. Holy shit that's a lot of corpses.

From my brief look at it, the problem is that the doors stop being tightly shut after reclaim? If that's the problem, then the entire reason everything has gone to shit is the doors at level -2 that are now leaking water. By tightly closing them, shouldn't all the water in Upper Battlefailed just drain to the bottom and everything will be peachy?

Edit2: Aaaand Stuzang found us so we're all going to die.

Uh - how do doors work in this version, anyway? It's been a while since I played, and IIRC doors had to be kept tightly closed to keep water out. This is still true, right?
Because it does look to me like the water at the top levels is less deep than it was, and I can't see anywhere else that water could possibly be leaking in through other than those doors. I could be imagining it though, and it doesn't look like we get to see what happens any further. That deadly dust sure is deadly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:07:43 pm by Aik »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:21 pm »

As long as something isn't wedging the door open it will keep water back.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 10, 2010, 11:41:02 pm »

If only there was a way to destroy those doors....
Now that I said that I expect one of you to come up with a brilliant idea to do just that.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 11, 2010, 06:32:14 am »

This was amusing to read and witness, and it was even more amusing to see the horrible end that arrived be so sudden.

You should start a fort right next to this one. RP it out as an attempt to mine to the place and reclaim it that way, but ingame-wise, it's for the engravings that might occur.

You know with dorfs dying, withering away and a stonefly laughing while curbstomping them.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 11, 2010, 11:29:44 am »

If only there was a way to destroy those doors....
Now that I said that I expect one of you to come up with a brilliant idea to do just that.

I'm trying it. All you need to do is dig a little and desecrate Andreus' laboratory. The problem is that the still-flooded area is 3-4 z-levels high and the door is on the bottom. My armorer keeps cancelling because he chooses to stand in the doorway while deconstructing it.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 11, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »

You should start a fort right next to this one. RP it out as an attempt to mine to the place and reclaim it that way, but ingame-wise, it's for the engravings that might occur.

You know with dorfs dying, withering away and a stonefly laughing while curbstomping them.

I really like that idea.  Battlefailed may have died, but perhaps we haven't heard the last of Queen Led and the Blueness of Malodors.  For all we know she's still ticking, and even if not, her heiress daughter is shaping up to be just as nasty.

We're set up for a sequel.  We never saw Iddor Deerlies, Led never came to the fort, we missed our opportunity to become a barony, and the ending was well, you know.

I say we one day start a new outpost for the glory of all The Sword Of Boots.  Maybe we could have a succession adventure game in the meantime to add a little more history to the region?

Regarding reclaim attempts, I haven't been able to look at it yet, but it does sound pretty screwed.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 11, 2010, 01:39:39 pm »

Regarding reclaim attempts, I haven't been able to look at it yet, but it does sound pretty screwed.

My firm opinion sir, is that if anyone can make head or tail of this fuckstorm, it's Robocorn, Imiknorris or you.

In the meantime, would anyone be willing to help me do a playtest of a mod I made?

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 11, 2010, 01:50:00 pm »

My firm opinion sir, is that if anyone can make head or tail of this fuckstorm, it's Robocorn, Imiknorris or you.

In the meantime, would anyone be willing to help me do a playtest of a mod I made?

What kind of mod are we talking about here?

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:59 pm »

I agree that if we can't get a reclaim that we should make a sequel. I just really want to see that queen die.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:33 pm »

I currently have an adventurer on a mission to kill the queen. The problem is that i have no idea where the capital is. But battlefailed does seem to be popular with the common folk, they sure love their forgotten beasts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 11, 2010, 02:45:13 pm »

I think the fort flooded because every embark tile with an ocean biome in it was considered to be the ocean, and thus filled.

EDIT: Oh hey there Stuzang.

Its abdomen is fractured. Its left antenna bears a massive straight scar.

EDIT2: I (believe I) have completely isolated the surface. The fort will have to be reclaimed in time, but it must first drain. There is already a hole leading into the caverns,so we will not have to worry about not having room for the water to drain into. We are surviving. Stuzang has been walled/floored into the fort. He will have to wait for us to build a military and challenge him to continue his assault.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:08:31 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 11, 2010, 03:07:40 pm »

Robocorn, the world you gen here is kinda odd. There is a guy who is in charge of a whole civilization for just wrestling alligators.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 11, 2010, 03:09:08 pm »

So it's basically like earth, just back a few years?

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 11, 2010, 03:16:16 pm »

Yep, I just got done killing a cult that reminded me of jonestown.

EDIT: I was finishing off the rest of the members of the cult until I suddenly started to die. As i went unconscious 6 members of the cult surrounded me and killed me. I guess this is what i get for getting distracted from my quest to kill the queen.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:24:58 pm by cappstv »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60