Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 610076 times)

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2010, 01:34:30 pm »

Er, are you using 0.31.03 or 04? It works for me in 04 but not 03.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2010, 02:06:04 pm »

I first played and genned the world in .03 but use whatever works for you, the only thing I don't like about .04 is how complicated it is to set the keys.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »

.03, 'cos I like graphics.
Guess I'll go without, though C:
Will pick it up and try to work it out tomorrow <3

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2010, 01:50:21 pm »

It starts!

I arrive in Summer - an unusual time for a guardian to be called, but it seems the overseer just couldn't handle the stress.

Pools of blood and corpses litter the landscape. With time stopped for those below me, I take a while to get my bearings, and to learn the fortress. It's a sprawling mess, dug carelessly out of necessity. The residents aren't even sure what to consider an actual part of the fortress!

Some elves gather worriedly about the perimeter of my influence. They'll likely make a meal for a nearby group of zombie horses.

The dwarves have been working on a trade depot, and finished it yesterday. The elves rushed in, avoiding the zombie horses.
Matuin peddles the clothes of our dead for various goods.

He says he knows all the prices now, but refuses to value the fortress' goods. No matter, I'll just have to guide trade more carefully.

Having looked into the records and seeing the abilities of 'skelks', I question the fortress' defenses. I inspire the creation of an extra wall and a bridge. The seas are teaming with anchovy, so a the construction of a fishing platform begins. The masons get distracted by groundhog skeletons.

The militia run out and make short work of the creatures with their bare hands. The dwarves are glad it was nothing more deadly.

Zombie and skeletal buzzards soar into the fortress from above, looking for food and interrupting our masons. A few of them steal berries from the corpse of a trader's pack animal - they're the lucky ones.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, the militia show them no respect and separate them forcibly.

Humans come to trade. We have plenty of alcohol and food, so weaponry is the only thing of interest to us right now. They bring no useful weaponry.

A few bars of various metals are traded for the silken finery of a dead dwarf.

The dwarves decide to start building the fishing platform from the bridge, where they cannot secure it. A floor crumbles away beneath its creator's feet, and he falls to the ocean floor.

How careless.

It seems I'll have to be more careful to cover for these dwarves' stupidity. A second has fallen into the water. He was of no great importance, but his death is a blessing. A school of rays gather to feed on his corpse, directly beneath the fishing platform.

When it's complete, perhaps we should throw sacrifices into the water occasionally to draw out the fish.

Autumn comes. The fishing platform is nearly finished.

In the coming months I will choose an avatar, and see him well cared for.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2010, 02:57:59 pm »

Great job, How many months did Matuin play?
I'm unsure whether or not we're giving you the rest of his year or the rest of his year and yours, I guess it depends on how many months he had left.

The blueness of malodors seems more savage than evil so there will likely be some big time savage ocean life if we mess around there enough. I'm looking forward to a zombie great white shark.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:27 pm »

Only to the beginning of Summer; I'll play through to the next Summer, and we can be one season off-kilter :D

Should I leave any weaknesses in the fishing platform? I'm building it so that a swimming creature (not just one capable of breathing in water, 'cos it's too deep) with buildingdestroyer could theoretically get onto the bridge and break down the doors.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2010, 10:45:22 pm »

Only leave yourself open to fun if you are prepared for major carnage.

Though keep in mind that most swimmers have the [immobile_land] tag that makes them helpless on land and ripe for being beaten and turned into masterwork bone armor.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2010, 04:32:40 am »

I condemn their evil, but merfolk hunters devised some pretty nice methods of harvesting the ocean's life.

Huh? What? Condemn? Evil? Guys, I think we have an elf in disguise on our hand here!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2010, 11:06:20 am »

What?  That's preposterous.  I...

*runs*

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 29, 2010, 11:34:30 am »

Correct, we're Dwarves raised by goblins. We're currently not living up to our evil. We need to release flaming undead horses upon our enemies or something to that effect.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 29, 2010, 12:31:58 pm »

This stonecrafter will do for my avatar. He dreams of becoming a master mason, and is strong from practice with a spear. The body doesn't feel uncomfortable.

There are not enough beds. Everyone sleeps in the hospital, or on the floor. I order a dormitory dug out, and a carpentry workshop built.

More, more, more fish! They swarm towards the corpses.

Salmon, herrings, anchovies, rays, blue fish! The platform will snag them all!

Skelks and zelks come to piss me off, rushing over the bridge before I realise they're here. A dwarf runs away onto the fishing bridge, and I lock the door telekinetically. (From my gameside text notes: "OH BALLS HERE COME THE SKELK")

I laugh at the fool as he bangs on the door, not realising that if he were allowed out he would make a tasty meal for an undead elk.

The militia gank them and suffer minor injuries. The militia commander is hospitalised with several wounds, and a gem setter who couldn't run fast enough joins him. I wear the antlers to the hospital and do a kooky dance to scare the patients. For some reason, they don't find it funny.

Freaks.

We have no clothier's workshop, so I tell an engraver at dinner to build one. He agrees immediately, and wanders off.

I catch him a while later, and he tells me he was about to do it after he dumped some stones. I tell him to stop dumping stones.

He decides to reorganise the fortress' stockpiles. I tell him to stop reorganising the fortress' stockpiles.

He thinks there's plenty of time to build the workshop later, so he goes to carve some sculptures. I kick him in the face.

He builds the workshop.

I shall be sure to remember this if I ever need to hide my beautiful face.

A caravan arrives and is immediately beset by undead horses. The human fortress liaison takes one look at the landscape, squeals like an elf and runs away.

The caravan guards distract the horses while the traders rush to the depot.

Over the last month I've had the miners digging straight down, deep into the bedrock. I thirst for delicious magma. They finally spotted something promising.

The fishing platform is complete and secure.

The only thing that ignores its defenses are waves, which merrily flow straight through the walls.

My living quarters are nearly complete! When they are finished, they'll be fit for such a handsome and chiselled spirit as myself.

In my infinite generosity, I order a statue chamber carven nearby, so that I may hold parties without venturing far. The magnificent window will be installed there, instead of my room, that all may enjoy it.

Winter cometh.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 12:35:30 pm by Samthere »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2010, 03:47:52 pm »

Waves are three to four z levels high when they hit, they're not washing through, but over.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2010, 07:22:00 pm »

'Cept it's closed from above and you can see the waves on the wall tile :D

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 30, 2010, 01:00:04 am »

megaprojects are good.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 60