Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598825 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2010, 08:04:22 am »

Correct, we're Dwarves raised by goblins. We're currently not living up to our evil. We need to release flaming undead horses upon our enemies or something to that effect.

Oh, so sigged.  :D
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2010, 09:45:34 am »

Ah, Winter! A refreshing season, don't you think? We can all afford to relax a little in Winter. We traded with the dwarven caravan for various armour and weaponry, some cheese, some seeds, etc etc yada yada I wasn't paying too much attention to the details.

Great. A giant, blind bug named Guzzlebones. Apparently it doesn't move by accident.

The dwarves gather on the bridge to meet it. Naturally, they ignore all of the new weapons and armour we just bought.

It 'deliberately' gets distracted and starts to chase a cat. The dwarves hold fast.

A group of undead muskox join the chase!

VIDEO SPECIAL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFYTc0d0jY

A stream or rhesus macaques come along to steal whatever they can from us. No problem, right? The dwarves are guarding the only entrance.

WRONG.

Some of the dwarves chase macaques into the middle of the muskox.

One brave fellow faces the titan head-on, and beats it silly.

The other guy still has four or five undead muskox kicking the crap out of him.

While the rest of the militia is still distracted by the monkeys:

Guzzlebones takes the opportunity to ignore all of the nearby soldiers (damn blind critter), run into the fortress and BREAK MY BEDROOM. THE BASTARD. (Notes from my gameside text file: "RHESUS MACAQUES RUIN EVERYTHING" / "FFFFFFFFF TITAN DESTROYING MY ROOM")

I will make it pay.

Guzzlebones goes on a rampage and merrily charges around the place, breaking down workshops and statues and doors.

It goes to the tomb and a dog tries to kill it. The dog doesn't do too well.

The militia finally finish up top and make short work of it.

Then they go to help out with the muskox, who have spent the whole time stomping a couple of dwarves into the ground.

Led Conjuredmined is sporting the Battlefailed national dress:

I severely underestimate the muskox and send in a few more new recruits.

Injuries for everyone! Yay! Most of the militia is going to die. A few soldiers manage to peel away/regain consciousness and get back into the fortress.

Well... screw it. I order the bridge raised and go off to get drunk.

By the end of Winter, the statue room was done! Complete with sexy window and undead-horse-in-a-box.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:55:54 am by Samthere »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2010, 10:03:25 am »

1. Awesome job, the video was hilarious and we seem to be living up to our name.

2. I saw a champion in the video, what was it?

3. What was our population before the titan showed up, are we getting any closer to achieving that much coveted town status we've been craving so we can appoint some useful nobles?

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2010, 10:06:19 am »

I think it was just an elite wrestler.

We lost/will lose maybe 6-10 in total to the muskox. Population is 24 but will probably be 22 or 20 when they finally die. :D
I'll have more exact numbers for you next time I play.

But yeah, I think no mayor any time soon. The best that could be done is to add [ELECTED] to the expedition leader.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 30, 2010, 10:10:35 am »

just go into the entities file and change Mayor requirement from 50 to 20, shouldn't be too hard. We might as well have someone complaining. Has our Human diplomat ever actually come to our doors (oh, right, nobody to meet with)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2010, 10:49:40 am »

Why youtube? Use the dfma (http://mkv25.net/dfma/addmovie.php), wouldn't that be easier?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:41 am »

When I saw it starting, in my mind it had to be accompanied by that music. There was no other way.

That's why Youtube. :P

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2010, 11:03:31 am »

When I saw it starting, in my mind it had to be accompanied by that music. There was no other way.

That's why Youtube. :P

Oh, music. Sorry then, I had sound turned off. But that could actually be a good addition to the DFMA movie feature - sounds. Who runs it?

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2010, 11:45:40 pm »

A face value take on what the player 'is': a disembodied omnicient spirit who can stop time and control events in a 'perimeter of influence'.  Literal, but cool.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2010, 12:16:47 pm »

Spring comes around, and I no longer hold sway over the minds of the citizens. It seems there's some powerful reason Spring is the traditional season for guardians to be called.

I leave Battlefailed to its fate, in the hands of some other spirit, or maybe one of its residents.

Save file.
Map on DFMA.

> END TURN

Well, I have exams all this week, and decided to reset the timing back to Spring to make it easier for people who just want to do a yearly autosave. It's been fun, Battlefailed!

The cavern levels aren't visible on the map. They're currently sealed up, though.

Finally, the checkerboard dug out near the mechanic's workshop is intended to be a miasma-control refuse area. Feel free to use it or ignore it!

OGLOKOOG! MAKE US PROUD!
Fail a battle for me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:21:10 pm by Samthere »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »

This is (probably) going to be fun. I certainly hope so.

EDIT: Ok so... I'm running at a steady 25 fps and I really am not in the mood for that right now. The first update (which should hopefully encompass at least spring) will be up tomorrow at 22:00 GMT+1.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:08:49 pm by Oglokoog »

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2010, 02:51:24 pm »

I can do nothing but profess my undying love and adoration for you all.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2010, 03:54:43 pm »

Ok guys, first update.

1st Granite, 505
I have arrived to this god-forsaken hellhole they call a fortress. I have to admit, I actually expected something really horrible, but the worst thing I noticed at first glance were the two soldiers left of what seemed to have been a pretty sizable force fighting (if it could really be called such) a herd of zombie and skeletal muskoxen just outside the main gate.
A metalsmith organized a party and I am going to have to assume he held it in my honor, because in any other case, he's being ungrateful - his braver brethren are fighting and dying above and he's having fun as if it's no big deal...

6th Granite, 505
I have noticed that there are several open entrances to the underground caverns in the central staircase. This is a security oversight, albeit a minor one - even though my inspection revealed no flying creatures in the caverns, some could appear at any given time and even a mere giant cave swallow can cause a catastrophe if it is let to roam a fortress' halls unchecked.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have floored over one of the breaches, but I am sure there are more. I will have to look to that later.

12th Granite, 505
Most of the unwounded dwarves are partying. Everyone is having a great time, except for the cripples in their beds and the two brave soldiers above...
One brave soldier.

20th Granite, 505
I have noticed that the farm plots on one of the upper levels don't seem like they are being used. I asked one of the farmers why that is and he couldn't tell me. All he said is that "we just can't farm there, sir". It's weird, but I am not going to be stopped by something so minor - I have immediately ordered the miners to dig out a new area that we can farm in. A murky pool will serve well as a water source.

24th Granite, 505
The miners have dug out the new farms and they now sit around doing nothing, just as the rest of the fortress. I have noticed that while the staircase does go very deep indeed, the shaft still doesn't reach the magma that's bound to be down there somewhere. I have thus ordered the miners to dig deeper.

27th Granite, 505
Great.

2nd Slate, 505
The last soldier up there is still alive. The muskoxen seem to be torturing her to death, slowly, but surely.

4th Slate, 505
The soldier died of a multitude of various wounds. The muskoxen, victorious but having been dealt a severe beating themselves, crawled away, satisfied. Soulless beasts...

7th Slate, 505
I have ordered the upper farm to be flooded. No accidents occured, everything went quite fine. Two shrubs grew almost immediately after the water touched the sandy floor.

19th Slate, 505
The miners are, once again, in lack of a job, so I have begun a new mining operation in the deeps, a few levels above the top cavern level.

20th Slate, 505
Raw microcline! Praise the miners!
A few hours later, the miners informed me that they've also found a native silver vein, but I didn't pay much attention.

21st Slate, 505
A pair of evil, evil groundhogs, one zombified and the other nothing but bone, have appeared. How can anything so small be so terrifying?

28th Slate, 505
Migrants! Migrants have arrived! Among others, there was a high master furnace operator (truly, a gift from the gods in any situation) and, well... one dwarf of lesser talents, let's leave it at that...
All in all, twenty dwarves have come to the fortress this time.
As if inspired by the arrival of new inhabitants, one of the masons has withdrawn from society, having been taken by a rather strange mood.

13th Felsite, 505
I have constructed a jeweler's workshop and the moody dwarf immediately claimed it. Instead of spending hours on an end searching for the perfect materials needed for his work, he picked up the first valuable stone around and set to work...

17th Felsite, 505
An elven caravan has come. Only now do I notice that we do not, in fact, possess a trade depot. I have ordered the construction of one. It's in a rather unsafe location, open to enemy fire and the wrath of the elements, but access to it can be blocked by raising the bridge, which will have to suffice for now.
The mason has finished making his, um, artifact and in so doing, became a legendary gem setter. The artifact? A perfect heliodor:
Better than nothing, I guess.

26th Felsite, 505
The trade depot was finished a few days ago and I have traded with the elves, mainly for drinks. The absence of a broker was strongly felt as I am now really not at all sure just how much profit did I give the elves. They seemed extremely content with what they got out of the trade.

The status screen at the end of Spring:

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »

Are there actually any unsealed breaches into the caverns? I thought I built up stairs over them to seal them off :D

Also, Battlefailed seems to have a case of the MISSING TRADE DEPOT - every new overseer has to build another.

Nice start, though! Good job on finally paying attention to the farms - something I completely ignored because we had lots of food at the time and I couldn't be bothered :D

Finally, I took some time during an exam today to scribble the following:

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:34 am »

I don't think stairs "block" a tunnel. Well maybe constructed ones do, I have no experience with that, but I know I've had several incursions of flying beasties in my forts.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60