Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598881 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:21 am »

FUCK YES GIANT TURTLE. WE NEEDS SHELL. AND MAYBE MEAT, I DON'T KNOW.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2010, 03:49:10 am »

This is a wrap for me.  This was a fun fortress to manage, and the turn went by pretty fast.  Thank you all for letting me take part in it.

The giant turtle hasn't attacked.  It's swimming around the underground sea like the dimetrodon.

I wanted to get some magma workshops in, but the accident that killed Urist the Blue delayed that project past the spring.  The new location is just about finished and the next overseer should be ready to build some forges and kilns shortly.

We're short on wood.  I used as much coal as I could smelting new picks, axes, and breastplates, but we're out now.  Smithing is going to be bottlenecked pretty tightly until those magma forges get going.

Cog is about to snap.  If any more of her friends die, I worry she'll go berserk, and she's a feisty one.  Keep an eye on her.

Anyway, the fortress is in good shape for the amount of Dwarves it contains.  I think it could survive for a long time with the gates raised.  The biggest problem I can think of is the lack of migrants/caravans.  The Dwarven caravan never showed up.  Methinks that bodes ill.

One more thing, I played and saved with 31.05, so it should probably be loaded with that, too.

Almost forgot!  Save File at DFFD.

Winters, for me, have followed a discernible pattern.  Every one of them has been unbearably boring aside from a few dramatic events that spring up here and there.  This Winter began with some excitement.

Never before have I seen such a strange and enormous being.  The alarm was speedily raised, and The Good Rocks sallied forth.  The Iron Vanguard led the assault, carrying a shield in her only hand.

The dwarves fell upon the titan with their characteristic shriek of a battle cry.  The beast was rent asunder by dozens of savage blows, fiercely paced and truly aimed.  We will eat well for a very long time.

On the last day of Winter, Atreku, the Arsenal Dwarf, gave birth to a girl.  On the first day of spring, an old work horse died of old age.  A fitting reminder that life and death are not water and oil to each other.

And since Spring has arrived, I must turn over the fortress to the next overseer.  I am happy to relinquish the mantle of leadership.  I have tasted the position of official authority and honestly, its restrictions are a bit much for me to deal with.  I look forward to some free time, and the change to focus on the final touches of Lur's Temple.  It has been too long since I touched chisel to raw stone, and I need to return to my art.

Besides, I have learned from Cog that in order to rule, one need not rule.  One need only rule the ruler.

Spoiler: Epilogue (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:48:00 pm by SethCreiyd »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:15 am »

War dogs to Cog quick!

Also, two dimetrodons in one year? What are the odds?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:54:52 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2010, 06:00:17 am »

I have taken control of the Overseer's quarters from Samrist.  It's quite comfortable.  This position has its perks.

Samrist, the sheriff and ex-overseer, was refusing to work.  Several tasks had been offered to him, none of which appeared to satisfy his lofty criteria.  Finally, after being confronted, he agreed to something.

Whatever.  I don't care what he does, as long as it isn't nothing.

Well naturally! All I can imagine his response would be is, "BUILD YER OWN DAMN CHAMBERS!" It even has the letter S in the middle :P

Apart from that, awesome going. Loved it from the intro on. I'll get over it eventually. :D

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2010, 12:32:03 pm »

So, apparently it's my turn now? I'm downloading the save now, I'll start as soon as I catch up with what SethCreiyd did in his turn (I hat to buckle down and write at least few pages of my MA thesis).

By the way, are we using 0.31.04 or 0.31.05?

I just took a look at the fortress. It's such a far shot from my usual clean, organized, neatly planned and compact fortresses that I think it will take a good while before I even start to make sense of the fortress layout avant-garde work of art Battlefailed has become.

I mean, seriously, a furniture stockpile in a mined-out hematite vein?

Also, 100 z-levels to magma sea. There goes my brave plan to bring magma up to the fortress proper. I can't even begin to think how I'd power a pump stack this high.

On a second thought, I'll start tomorrow. I thought playing some DF would be a good relaxation method after today's exam, but I'm just too tired.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:34:38 pm by Zathel »

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »

Can I take a spare dwarf? Any profession, but perhaps Herbalist is the most fitting, given the name.

I AM KEEPER OF THE FRUIT, PAST AND PRESENT.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2010, 01:13:24 pm »

I dwarfed you as per your earlier request, Dr. Melon.  He's a doctor-in-training with a passion for jewelry.

Edit:  Even had a little screenshot.

I forgot to mention that Catten got a strange mood toward the end of the turn.  I don't think he started working yet.
Also, I used 31.05.

Sorry about the eviction Sam.  Wasn't anything personal.  That's the kinda jerk-ass my dwarf was; see something he'd like, and he'd take it if he could.  His karma was that he'd be denied the one thing he truly ever desired.

If it's any consolation, Samrist got the biggest box-house.  :)

Further edit:  Zathel, I dunno how I missed it, but I forgot to dwarf you.  My apologies.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:48:00 pm by SethCreiyd »

Wightfyre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2010, 06:05:55 pm »

Also, 100 z-levels to magma sea. There goes my brave plan to bring magma up to the fortress proper. I can't even begin to think how I'd power a pump stack this high.

I'm thinking a massive Dwarven Reactor ought to do the trick... Just calculate the required power and build to suit.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:24 pm »

Cog seems upset.  You should show her the Trade Depot; have you seen that thing?  IT'S FRIGGING AMAZING!  (Swigs truly decadent drink)  WHOOO!!!   
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 08, 2010, 01:34:00 am »

I like to solve problems with bringing magma up by bringing stuff down. Like farms, sleeping rooms, everything. I usually basically build a whole another fort for the smelters and 'smiths and other assorted forgecrew there. Dunno if that's an option here.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:45 am »

If I remember correctly, most of Aluonra's caves are almost completely flooded.
I'm sure you'll all have a fun time getting magma.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:43 am »

I like to solve problems with bringing magma up by bringing stuff down. Like farms, sleeping rooms, everything. I usually basically build a whole another fort for the smelters and 'smiths and other assorted forgecrew there. Dunno if that's an option here.

I... think I might take it even further. I might move the whole thing down those 80-something z-levels, the current fortress is a fucking mess (I think we have enough miners, only problem would be bringing stuff to trade depot when caravans come). I'll finally get around to playing this evening.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 08, 2010, 03:45:23 am »

You can build the Trade Depot 80-something z-levels below with everything else.  Make the traders walk the distance.

I was looking at the fort after my turn, and noticed that the flood that killed Urist the Blue is spilling down a staircase into the magma sea.  It might be worth some fps to cap it.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:29 am »

You can build the Trade Depot 80-something z-levels below with everything else.  Make the traders walk the distance.

I was looking at the fort after my turn, and noticed that the flood that killed Urist the Blue is spilling down a staircase into the magma sea.  It might be worth some fps to cap it.

I'd have to build a ramp stairway (standard design in my current fort), since as far as I know traders can't use normal stairs... but it is an interesting idea.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 08, 2010, 09:12:08 am »

Much love to you!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 60