Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598890 times)

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2010, 02:11:11 am »

Due to other engagements, I wasn't able to play yesterday... I'll try to wrap it up today, tomorrow at the latest.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2010, 01:52:07 pm »

Here comes autumn.

Seasonal Development Progress Report, year 506, form BRT-325, in accordance to 3rd Directive of Bureau of Colonization
Fortress name: Battlefailed
Fortress status: Town
Bookmaster: Unib "Zathel" Ottanlimul

First day of fall welcomed me with a rather annoying news. It turns out that I have made some minor design mistakes while adapting workshop layouts for Battlefailed's needs. It's nothing major, and easily remedied, but it serves as a vital reminder that I need to be more careful. Also, I am now completely certain that the mayor suffers from unhealthy fascination with bronze. I have decided to indulge him, it will keep him from whining about not having proper accommodations. I hope citizens of Battlefailed will make a more... reasonable choice during the next election.

I have employed the entirety of citizenry to haul ores, unrefined fuel and marble to the future magma metalworks. At least they'll have something to do while miners complete their assignment. And it seems they will do so within predicted time constraints. Splendid.

Curses! A goblin ambush, just as a caravan arrived! I thought Battlefailed was free of the greenskin filth! They were quickly dealt with by the caravan guard, but not before the traders sustained injuries. During the attack, one of them went mad, apparently snapping after traversing the cursed plains surrounding our fortress. Thankfully we're well supplied, and even if this caravan leaves before trading with us, Battlefailed will be fine.

I am wondering if it's a coincidence, but one of our carpenters was struck by inspiration and withdrew to his workshops. I wonder what he'll come up with? A bed? A statue? Only time will tell.

There number of thieves and snatchers that try to invade the fortress is starting to worry me. Thankfully, the traps work, and kobolds are quickly dispatched by our militia.

The artifact that the carpenter worked on turned out to be a crutch. Somehow, I am not surprised, given what he had as inspiration.

Apart from the goblins, autumn was pretty uneventful. Fortress proper is mined out and awaiting settlement. When next spring comes, Battlefailed will truly become a true dwarven fortress.

End of report
Signed,
Unib "Zathel" Ottanlimul, Bookmaster and temporary administrator of Battlefailed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:30:27 am by Zathel »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2010, 04:28:51 pm »

All of your planning and competence is a far cry from the origins we held back with two tantruming dwarves and a hole.

I hadn't noticed until a little earlier, but Aluonra (the world we're playing in) has a population made up half by goblins and residents of goblin forts. Hell, the entire western half of the world is dominated by their purple settlements broken up by only a few mountain halls. The closest nearby construction is a dark tower, I wonder why they didn't come before (comparatively, kobolds live exclusively in two caves very far away and there's no justification for them being anywhere.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

All of your planning and competence is a far cry from the origins we held back with two tantruming dwarves and a hole.

A ma... dwarf has to have a vision, doesn't he? No matter how humble the origins, with enough blood, tears and vomit one can achieve anything.

I hadn't noticed until a little earlier, but Aluonra (the world we're playing in) has a population made up half by goblins and residents of goblin forts. Hell, the entire western half of the world is dominated by their purple settlements broken up by only a few mountain halls. The closest nearby construction is a dark tower, I wonder why they didn't come before (comparatively, kobolds live exclusively in two caves very far away and there's no justification for them being anywhere.

Really? Well, that's just downright weird they left Battlefailed alone for so long. If I knew they'd come, I'd have launched steel production much earlier. Oh well, I can always seal off the fort if shit hits the fan a little too hard.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2010, 06:30:59 am »

we should hope you're following, you're the next player.

lol. I know, that's why I posted. I'm really looking foward to this one. By the way, is this popped into .06 or using the original embark version?

I've been learning things in my spare time.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2010, 07:25:54 am »

we should hope you're following, you're the next player.

lol. I know, that's why I posted. I'm really looking foward to this one. By the way, is this popped into .06 or using the original embark version?

I've been learning things in my spare time.

I played in .04, or so I think. Definitely import it into .06, if it was going to break, it would've done so long ago.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2010, 07:43:51 am »

I've been palying in .06 for a while. Military is all but fixed now. There is just ONE regrettable bug. Unfortunately it is terribly regrettable.

Killing a Titan or Beast is a death sentence in .06. Not because of poison or disease or anything, but because of a bug.

Killing a Titan results in the killer getting an extra legendary name, and he names his favorite weapon (which dealt the killing blow) a legendary name that shows up in the artifacts list.

But there is one problem. That soldier will rename that same weapon every other week or so, resulting in a pause screen each time. As I result I usually send them to fight the next goblin wave alone before sending the rest of the military.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:22 am »

You can turn that off in announcements (one of the init files), or at least it used to be possible.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 12, 2010, 10:19:46 am »

You can turn that off in announcements (one of the init files), or at least it used to be possible.

Thanks a lot, that really helped.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 12, 2010, 04:46:36 pm »

And the long awaited winter...

Seasonal Development Progress Report, year 506, form BRT-325, in accordance to 3rd Directive of Bureau of Colonization
Fortress name: Battlefailed
Fortress status: Town
Bookmaster: Unib "Zathel" Ottanlimul

The mining works are complete, and since rubble was regularly hauled away behind the miners, the work can finally begin now.

In other news, mad trader god done in by skeletal horses, who then proceeded to attempt to invade the fort, toppling the statue in the progress. Which revealed a fatal defense flaw... toppled statue gave way to bypassing the first line of traps. I have ordered deconstruction of the statues and building of walls in their place.

For that matter, I have ordered deconstruction of whole temporary living and utility space just below the ground.

Work is slow, but steady. I will have to give up my position as temporary administrator of Battlefailed before I see the full glory of the new fortress, but maybe that's for the better.

The end of my term wasn't peaceful and pleasant. Another goblin ambush came in the last days of Obsidian. My hopes of letting the traps take care of the invaders were crushed when few goblin snatchers got caught in them. Thankfully, the raiders delayed their advance long enough to allow the militia to amass. One brief scuffle later all the greenskins were dead.

Overall, it was a very productive year, but the work is not yet finished. Stockpiles need to be established and moved, new farmspace flooded, dwarves settled in the living pods and magma metalworks built. But that is all the work for the next administrator. I will retread to my new quarters in living pods and busy myself with stockpile records.

End of report
Signed,
Unib "Zathel" Ottanlimul, Bookmaster and temporary administrator of Battlefailed.

Well, that was fun. I absolutely love establishing forts, more so than actually managing them, so it was a perfect turn for me. I moved the version to 0.31.06.

I want another turn  :D

Good god, I hate my upload speed. It's taking forever.

And here it is http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2496
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:03:05 pm by Zathel »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 12, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »

Next turn pegged in at 21.

Contacting heyguys and organizing the posts.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 13, 2010, 05:22:16 am »

Checking in; currently downloading. Will try porting to .06 and see how that works. Expect an update today.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 13, 2010, 11:11:26 am »

Checking in; currently downloading. Will try porting to .06 and see how that works. Expect an update today.

I moved the version to 0.31.06.

It works fine.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 13, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »

Great story, Zathel.  Looking forward to seeing what you've done with the place.

I'd like another turn sometime too, please.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 14, 2010, 07:36:33 am »

I'm sorry guys, something life related came up. please skip me.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60