Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598837 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape. [turns open!]
« Reply #510 on: July 21, 2010, 04:19:58 am »

16th Malachite

My attention has turned again to the two miners in their static purgatory.  I just hope they have no idea of what state they're in.

Resuming my efforts to free the Arena's captives requires siege weaponry.  Today I asked our Chief Engineer Meng (how I hate that name) to craft a ballista.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 21, 2010, 06:40:14 am »

Seth i love you more than a little. Especially as the new mayor is called Twobeard. No greater name for dwarf or man could be devised. I honestly might consider taking a turn if the fortress is still alive when theres a space turn.  I could not leave a dwarf with my name to rot now can i? I certainly have had enough experience with DF in the last few years. Are you guys playin on .10 now or are you back a version or two?

on a side note i think you dwarves might enjoy listening to tunes about why beards are so damn great.  An Australian band called the Beards. Enjoy!

http://www.myspace.com/thebeardsclub

A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 21, 2010, 12:48:59 pm »

So Led Shakeoars, the Queen of Dastot Cog, the Sword of Boots...

... is a human. Apparently this was already known, though.

I was just looking into the legends of Battlefailed, trying to do a cultural and historical analysis of the world in which our wonderful and terrible fortress dwells, and I found this. The royal dynasty that began with Bim Quakewaned before recorded history ruled for more than four hundred and thirty years, but tragically, Thob Coastalguilds, the last dwarven king of Dastot Cog, outlived both his heirs and died childless, the royal bloodline spent. A human great house led by Minkot Hammerweights seized the throne, and Minkot ruled until her death in 471, when rulership of the land passed to her only daughter, Led Shakeoars.

It appears that the Sword of Boots acquired many human members after the conquest of several dark towers belonging to the barbarian nation of The Doom of Innocence, once run by goblins, now long overrun by elves, dwarves and humans that had been raised to know nothing but violence and hatred. Apparently one of the human bloodlines had enough wherewithal and political clout to rise to the very top.

This sure does explain a few things - such as her undying hatred for dwarves. She must have a long-standing grudge against dwarves for what their civilization did to hers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:55:34 pm by Andreus »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 21, 2010, 12:54:16 pm »

You know what this means?

Time to assasinate the queen.
Can we make it so?

Also, I just now noticed my dwarf is the only fully clothed dwarf in the entire fort.
An unthinkable breakthrough considering the state of Battlefailed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:04:39 pm by NightmareBros »

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 21, 2010, 01:57:50 pm »

There may be no need. I need a newer save to check, and I can't find Robocorn's, but in my version of the world, both she and her daughter die in early 510, just after I created an adventurer to go and do her in. I couldn't find either of them in Graspedseduce so I just rampaged around until I got killed. Now I know why.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:02:48 pm by Andreus »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 21, 2010, 03:31:17 pm »

As of my most recent save at the end of 510, Led is currently still alive at the age of 92. The random number god controls how long she lives. She could torment us for another thirty years or drop dead tomorrow due to humans 60-120 lifespan. But as far as Creiyd's file goes, she's still among the living.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 21, 2010, 04:28:59 pm »

I do find it interesting that members of races other than the founding race of a civilization are considered so "integrated" into it that they're allowed to rule it. The legendary Cacame Awemedinade, Elf-King of Dwarves, wasn't even a first-generation birth - he was actually a member of the elf civilization that was conquered by the dwarves. Given that her family history is mostly lost to the mists of time (I imagine cull unimportant historical figures was turned on? Kind of makes sense in this case though, I doubt barbarian civilizations are big on record-keeping. By the way, I call goblin civilizations that have been overwhelmed and replaced by other races "barbarians", is that OK?) it's impossible to tell how many generations her family lived under dwarven rule, but it's not hard (not to mention, very, very cool) to imagine her family nurturing a smouldering resentment over the years that's culminated in her usurping the throne of Dastot Cog and acting upon her abject hatred of dwarves.

On a somewhat related note, my modded werewolf civilization tends to do very odd things as regards their societies - I set it so that their version of the succession of the king (the "alpha (fe)male") progresses either from viable heirs or from their second in command (the "beta"). Betas are, incidentally, the werewolf equivalent of generals, and so they lead armies into battle - of which the werewolves tend to have a lot, mostly declared by the werewolves on other societies over the displaying of war trophies. I don't know if this is intentional coding on Toady's part or just an odd and hilarious quirk of the game, but I've noticed that almost ALL the premature heir deaths that end an alpha bloodline tend to occur in battles led by the beta who later ascends to the kingdom's throne.

On an entirely unrelated note, I'm trying to work out how to make the werewolves more resistant to damage since they seem to be a bit flimsy right now (or at least, not that much sturdier in comparison to the other races) but I haven't hit upon any ideas yet.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:35:33 pm by Andreus »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 21, 2010, 06:00:45 pm »

Calling goblin civs controlled by slave survivors alone barbarians seems perfectly logical to me. Unfortunately for the goblins, there's usually none of them left after about a century in-contact with any other civ, the slaves apparently get laid more often than their masters, and they're all too stupid to actually treat them as slaves (maybe goblins just aren't as evil as they're said to be...) and cull their numbers down to manageable levels.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:32 am »

Especially as the new mayor is called Twobeard. No greater name for dwarf or man could be devised.

Threebeard.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 22, 2010, 01:03:06 am »

Sign me up! I wish to receive a pm when It's my turn.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:46 am »

You know what?  I'll take a turn as well.  I want to avenge my inevitable death.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #521 on: July 22, 2010, 05:34:07 am »

Journal of Overseer Creiydrek Yearrings, Excerpts

Galena

I met eyes with one of the goblins we kept in a cage by the entrance, knowing he'd soon be submerged in the vile water.  The goblin was laughing.  Fikod and I speedily assessed the situation.

This might not be so terrible after all.  I've rushed Fikod over to the stockpile to grab a few

This fort deserves to drown along with everyone in it.

Oddam/Oglokoog/Whatever-Their-Name-Is managed to put up the final wall seconds before it was too late.  We couldn't build exactly where I wanted to because somebody had indulged in far too much of the numbing dust for his own well-being and collapsed in the middle of the hall.  The former doctor, of course.  How can a single dwarf be so frowningly pathetic?  Even writing his name draws my ire.

2nd Galena

The consequences of the flood weren't as damning as one might figure (I am staggered that we're still alive).  Due to some brilliant design choices by one of the former overseers, Lower Battlefailed should be entirely unaffected by the disaster.

On the other hand, Upper Battlefailed is ruined.  No one went in there much, so it's unlikely to be missed, but we had many valuable things stored down there.  Such as all of our metal.  All of it.  Somehow.  I'll need to speak with the miners and resume metal extraction.  We also have to abandon the new wing before we even got a chance to enjoy it.  Matuin's hard work and sacrifice have been entirely in vain.  In the meanwhile, a new entryway to Lower Battlefailed has been carved.

I didn't see it take place, but our new doctor actually healed both the comatose children.  She still has no idea what she is doing, but for whatever reason, fortune has smiled on both her and those two lads.  We're all caught up in a rare spirit of celebration.  Meng (the Engineer, not the Incompetent) has taken all the children outside to give them something constructive to do.  It's good for them to be busy, and maybe they'll learn a thing or two in the process.

I don't believe this.  Cerol was killed when part of the wall fell on top of him.  How is it that everyone named Meng in this fort is a complete imbecile?  He's cut off from booze for three months, and barred from being alone with the children ever again.  This terrible and completely preventable incident shames all of us.

8th Galena

After some careful experimentation, I found out what the levers in front of the Arena operated.

As the lever was pulled, the shuttling of a cage was heard.  The bookkeeper was immediately set upon by a skorse that charged out of the arena and across the room toward him.  The Swordsmaster Zon attempted to save him, but only succeeded in turning the beasts ire upon himself.  I was about to unsheathe my blade when I saw Kubuk flash across the room like a steel-clad lightning bolt.

A goblin who had been seriously beaten under our care took advantage of the prevailing chaos to make a daring escape.

Having no idea where to run, the creature fled into the caves...

...pursued...

...and lost...

..by our valiant soldiers.

The Swordsmaster has made sport of hunting it.  Without a weapon the pathetic goblin's no threat to anyone.  He'll probably be eaten by some creature of the depths before Zon ever finds him.  I should thank the escapee for revealing that our entire fortress is widely exposed to the underground labyrinth.  If I thought the dwarf responsible for that still lived, I would have them executed.

22nd Galena

More buzzards have been spotted recently.  The guards are carefully watching for any sign of attack.  Ilmoran continues to work on new furnishings while our pariah of a Chief Engineer has been building my ballista parts. 

Frankly, journal, I've been feeling pretty good lately, despite all our mishaps and mayhem.  Those of us who survive now enjoy hope, comfort, and relative safety.  The flood may even turn out to be a blessing in disguise, since it has made Battefailed more secure than ever.  And, I adore my sword.  I'm trying to think of a name for it.

I haven't abandoned the two lost souls in the Arena, but I'm still waiting on those ballista parts.  I hope this plan works, because if it doesn't, we're moving on to water, then magma.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

24th Galena

Several human traders have been sighted in the distance, and I'm glad to receive our tall neighbors.  Fikod was asked to open the gate and allow them entry while I traveled up to the surface to welcome our guests.  Hopefully they've brought some metal here.

28th Galena

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:10:33 pm by SethCreiyd »

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 22, 2010, 07:34:15 am »

So, a Titan showed up, along with a human caravan, and then a fucking goblin siege piled up on them?

Goodness gracious.

Also, I've got to ask. Why was metal stored in upper Battlefailed? I clearly remember setting a huge pile of ore, coal and marble right by magma metalworks during my term. Whatever happened to it?

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 22, 2010, 09:05:51 am »

Wow, they reeaaally don't want Battlefailed to get any help.
A caravan comes along - a human one, no less - and gets torn apart by the combination of shelk, a forgotten beast and a golbin siege.
pray that the beast takes a liking for goblin meat.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 22, 2010, 10:17:35 am »

How was the human caravan going to get in if upper battlefailed is entirely flooded, did you dig a new entrance?  I looked at one of the old saves (the only one I could find is pretty old), so I may not have correctly pictured what happened.  Also I'm boggled on how that wall fell on a child, talk about unsafe masonry.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 60