Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598856 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #525 on: July 22, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »

Yeah, sorry about that, I was pretty tired when I posted the update and forgot to mention the new entrance.  I edited the post to include that detail.

The death of the child isn't too much of a mystery; I ordered the wall broken down and didn't notice the bit of land I was separating from support.   :-\

Zathel, I discovered this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I must have clipped them accidentally when I was mass-forbidding the Upper fort.  This means we're not as neutered as I thought.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:35:00 pm by SethCreiyd »

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2010, 01:19:56 am »

This is certainly good news. The last thing we needed was total metal production shutdown.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 23, 2010, 01:24:45 am »

Limestone

I managed to catch Fikod just before he pulled the lever to open the gate.  With a yelp, I ran down to him with my sword held aloft.  He looked at me in terror, raising his pick defensively (can't blame the lad) but I steered toward the control mechanism and smashed it with the blade, rendering the lever inoperable.  It will not be repaired until proper security measures are put in place.

The miner looked incredibly worried, so I breathlessly explained the situation.  First, as I watched from our lookout post above the fortress walls, I noticed a strange heliotrope mass emerge from the bubbling Blueness.  The creature let out a loud screech and tore off toward the hapless traders with unbelievable speed.  It was on them in moments, tearing the arm from a guard and stampeding him down.  It was then when I saw a few goblins appear at the top of the hill marking the edge of our territory.  Then a few more goblins appeared, and a few more, until there were about sixty goblins, some mounted on beasts of war, declaring themselves with their battle drums.

No doubt our attackers came here for Battlefailed, but the humans fighting the titan drew their attention quickly enough.  Before long the local undead were attracted by so much commotion and threw themselves into the fray.  It didn't take long for all the humans to die.  The giant purple arachnid (I call it Pado) was overrun in the end, covered and rendered to greasy dust by the swarm of invaders.  The goblins were clearly victorious.  It's truly regrettable we could do nothing to prevent those innocent deaths, but I won't risk our lives or limbs at this critical time.  Nonetheless, the event has so troubled me, I've been taking too much of the numbing stuff as of late.

15th Limestone

The month has been busy enough for three times our number.  We've been smoothing down the stone of our most frequented areas.  I have Meng slaughtering some of our animals since we have far too many and it's one of the only things he does well.  I have every dwarf producing various items the fortress needs, to be stockpiled until ready.  It's my hope that future rulers will be free to worry about things other than whether or not we have any ballista parts.  Fortunately, a huge metal stockpile was discovered in the forge room, our prayers being answered by a previous overseer who'd been smart enough to realize we'd need it.  I must learn this dwarf's name and build them a platinum tomb.

Since so many of our dwarves have a fondness for the True Metal, we've started planning for adamantine extraction.

We don't need much of the empyreal ore for so few of us, just enough to fashion a few garments and blades and pieces of armor, so I've told the miners to only dig very little for now.  Unfortunately, there have been a few delays.

Thank the stone, the magma hasn't gone anywhere it can kill us.

Meng will be turned into a useful dwarf yet or my name isn't Creiydrek.  I've come to pity the bastard more than I dislike him so I'm trying to teach him to be a mechanic.  At my request he's actually presented to me a plan for cutting off the endless flow of seawater filling our home.

I just hope it works unlike everything else I've tried to do here.  I once commented during our days of success that our fortress' name was ironic.  Fate seems to embrace sincerity.

Our two wounded dwarves died of thirst, our only drinking water having somehow been tainted.

Limestone 28

Our besiegers are still out there, camped on the killing field as if waiting for us to open the gate.  They probably expected a fight from us; they cannot know we've lost three quarters of the population since last they came.  I hope they give up and go home before the caravan from Dastot Cog arrives.    From the lookout post, I've been watching the leader of the invaders, a larger greyskin mounted on top of a Rutherer, and his three personal guards.

They've engaged in the worthy task of cleansing the land of our undead problem.  Moreover, they seem to be succeeding.  Goblins may be filthy brutes, but they apparently have their uses.

No skeletal elk on the plain today.  Just plain, regular elk.  I showed them to Edzul today, she'd never seen one before.

In the coming month we should meet the Dwarven caravan, assuming our unwelcome visitors have left our doorstep by then.  I hope they decide to go soon, because we have a dire shortage of lumber and it's been holding up my attempts to rescue the forsaken miners.

Our hope is that the traders make it here safely, that we may unload on them our growing pile of junk, now that our hoard has come to resemble a garbage dump of tattered clothes and barrels stuffed with reeking animal fat.

I turn eighty in a few months.  The big eight-oh.  Just what I need right now -- middle-age.  As if this job wasn't giving me enough gray hair already.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:35:16 pm by SethCreiyd »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 23, 2010, 01:44:14 am »

Yes, HFS is going to murder everyone's FPS, there's nothing you can do to stop it but savescum. As for a dorfy demise, all battlefailed can really do is activate everyone, and prepare to get goon-swarmed. Try sealing a wall and preparing some traps/giving yourselves time to grab weapons and armor. That in itself may be excruciatingly painful to wait through.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 23, 2010, 02:02:57 am »

I was thinking of something a little less orthodox.

Edit:  I've unpaused.  The FPS hit is sizable, but not as bad as I worried.  It's pretty good, actually, if you consider the ocean is still pouring into the fort with a massive goblin siege outside.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:37:25 am by SethCreiyd »

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 23, 2010, 02:14:56 am »

You know, I'd savescum, and I suggest busying yourself with some megaproject involving obsidianizing the magma surrounding the vein (we even have a lake nearby, I think reservoir access has a preinstalled floodgate that could be used to create a route for the water from the underground lake. All this so we can extract every last piece of adamantite from every layer. It can be done, I tried it in some of my forts.

Or, if you are feeling brave, we can flood hell. Using the same reservoir pump stack I mentioned earlier.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:16:57 am by Zathel »

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 23, 2010, 02:24:09 am »

AFAIK demons continually spawn from the corners of the map if you don't seal the breach, and there are 42 billion of them.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 23, 2010, 03:30:05 am »

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:34:17 am by SethCreiyd »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 23, 2010, 04:01:50 am »

waning keeper

larval pain

guiding ritual

seizing external

shadow lantern

world sunset

run yearrings

pitiless hunters

inadequate might

sloughed out

endearing shouts

endless duel

infinite light

mildewed survivors

!!!!!

Dear Journal,

We have ceased adamantine extraction before it even started.  I don't feel like explaining right now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:24:02 am by SethCreiyd »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 23, 2010, 04:47:54 am »

Aww. I was hoping to see a demon fortress.

Well, Leesin and Dante are serving that role in an even more esoteric sense.  They can't be killed.  They can't be harmed. They can't even be attacked or targeted for attack.  Even when all the other dwarves are dead, the game will continue, letting you watch Battlefailed the Demon Fortress unfold, as wave after wave of migrants, sieges, and caravans get torn apart by the restless damned because of the two lost souls.

Dante and Leesin once again plummeting to the rescue!

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 23, 2010, 04:54:04 am »

Regarding the stasis'd miners, I'm sure most or all of the following have already been tried, but here's literally everything I can think of:

1. Building a pillar underneath them, subsequently deconstructing it
2. Building a support with a floor on top of it underneath them, subsequently collapsing it
3. Collapsing something above them
4. Building a pillar INSIDE them, subsequently deconstructing it
5. Building a pillar inside them, subsequently collapsing it
6. Creating a large area of floor around them, releasing some sort of horrible beast to kill them (surely having them dead is at least more merciful than leaving them in this state of perpetual imprisonment)
7. Creating a large area of floor around them, flooding with water
8. Creating a large area of floor around them, flooding with magma
9. Creating a large area of floor around them, collapsing entire roof upon it
10. Setting up some form of trap beneath them

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 23, 2010, 05:19:15 am »

Spoiler: game/plot spoilers (click to show/hide)

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 23, 2010, 05:26:52 am »

Why delete the floating miners?
If you have to, you can do the playthough from their perspective - watching this horror unfold like some big, twisited lovecraftian plot that fate decided for them.
Also I like how my dorf was nowhere near the adamintine vien. Do you think my dorf actually has survivale skills, and perhaps the biggest dose of common sence in the fort, and so took a job that would be less likley to get me killed?

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 23, 2010, 07:18:22 am »

Isn't there's an adamantite vein per embark tile?

Also, the depth of that vein until the breach to hell was decided upon world creation. No use in mining out that one besides the topmost levels (using the obsidianizing method I mentioned)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 23, 2010, 07:18:38 am »

The dream sequence reminds me of Syrupleaf. They kind of overdid it with all the fluff, though,
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60