Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 597823 times)

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2010, 10:08:34 am »

Woo, I'm next.  I'm grabbing the save now.  I'll have to take a closer look, but the FAILCANNON is a... pump?  I don't think I'm going to get even 10 fps out of a flooded fort with a few dozen extra goblins.  On the other hand at least there aren't many dwarves to slow the game down so we'll see.

edit: FAILCANNON must be referred to in all caps. :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:10:08 am by Pisano »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 25, 2010, 11:49:01 am »

This succession fort is great! Would it be too much to request a dwarfing as an adult in the next migrant wave please?

Also, regarding the extra-planar ghost miners: they functionally do not exist in the game, and nothing can interact with them as far as I know. The game thinks they are falling, but has forgotten to make them hit the ground (most likely due to the saving of the game, which interrupted the fall. The only way to fix this problem is to hack the game's memory, and to the best of my knowledge, Dwarf Companion was the only tool that could access the right area of the memory. I have no experience with the current hacking tools available, so I don't know if they would work.

Shame that additional blood had to be shed futilely for their sake.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 25, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »

Bravo SethCreiyd, I've edited the second post to link to all twenty one of your 511 posts. It just goes to show that low FPS isn't a hindrance when there's always stuff happening.

So we finally find out what osman's slime does, and it's a severely delayed mass necrotic. It might be hard to watch that going down unless we used it on stationary goblins, but it was a dream. That or this is from all of that numbing dust you guys got all over you.

As for gamespeed. You can turn off weather because we don't need it. Additionally, it is almost always raining in Battlefailed (kind of appropriate in that regard actually), but I'm sure it eats up a little memory.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 25, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »

1st Granite, 512

He must be mad turning the fortress over to me.   Perhaps the necrosis has spread to his brain?  A fine chronicler that Creiydrek was and he also seems to have pulled us out of a nosedive, at least somewhat.  Despite the warnings about the numbing and necrotizing extracts I still see some dwarves insisting that nude is the only dwarven way.  I just passed Kubuk Tiristmondul in the hallway, a fine axedwarf and wood cutter, wearing nothing but his axe and covered in that slime.  Go wash yourself off already it isn't like we are lacking in water though I'm not sure how many of us want to get anywhere near that briney muck that is The Blueness of Malodors.  Blueness my ass, more like a brownish red as is mixes around down here.

There are only 23 of us left 5 of which are care children and six of us are unconscious or otherwise unable to move from the hospital.  A hospital which they share with the rotting corpses and skeletons of several former patients.  The note Creiydrek left on my desk contained a bit of dry dwarven wit concerning the view from the Overseer's quarters, "I trust you'll enjoy the view from the office" he said.

Yes the hospital is in the mansion now and is smeared with blood, forgotten beast extract, sand, miasma and a few skeletons to boot.  Or maybe he was talking about that masterful gem window with the view into the cavern.

After surveying some of the fortress I've come to the conclusion that we have many assets.

My first act as new overseer was to make sure that, despite his grim humor, Creiydrek was assigned his new quarters, complete with a lovely cow in a cage.  Actually they are pretty fine quarters and now that I'm running the place I'll have to see about upgrading from my own modest quarters, but before that there are more pressing matters like this flood.

More to come when I've surveyed the landscape a bit more thoroughly and figured out what this FAILCANNON is supposed to do, it is some sort of very dwarven contraption, which, I think, will pump the water out upper and onto the field in front of the fortress to wash the blood and hopefully some of the invaders from outside of our front gate.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 25, 2010, 03:59:34 pm »

Just three more body parts!
Also, you (probably) have a pretty awesome machine under your command.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 25, 2010, 04:19:35 pm »

The mansion that I meant for you was Robocorn's old room, due northwest of the Arena.  Much nicer than that hospital has become.

Thanks for giving me my new quarters, though.  And my cow. ^_^

Quote from: Toady One
#  07/25/2010: A few crash fixes, liaison replacements should work, and you should be offered a barony properly when you hit the triggers.
# 07/25/2010: Released Dwarf Fortress 0.31.12

Maybe now that liaison will actually show up.  Also, one of the weapon's walls on the base level is broken.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:43:10 pm by SethCreiyd »

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 25, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »

Now we most certainly can't call it "the weapon". It has to have an imposing name like all good dwarven doomsday devices - we've had Project: Fuck The World,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, and various others - we need a cool name for this. "Slime Shooter" just won't do.

EDIT: Wait, are we calling it FAILCANNON now? That certainly works.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:38:03 pm by Andreus »

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2010, 12:39:16 am »

I guess by putting me in charge they decided it would force me to get off my lazy bum and do some work.

Yeah, yeah, I'll get back to work soon.  Before that though I must continue surveying the fortress to try and come to grips with what must be done here.  The continuous flood is the greatest concern.  As such I'm putting my efforts toward the completion operation FAILCANNON.

9th Granite, 512

I'm a bit worried about our wounded.  Two of our most senior soldiers Sigun and Ezum have the foot rot and can't stand up anymore. 

Meng Tholast is still on his feet, but has the foot rot as well.  Daetrin has rot all over, it is a sad thing.  Despite our previous overseer's instructions that everyone wear clothing many have already been infected.  Dying due foot rot is an especially tragic way for the members of The Sword of Boots to go out.  BOOTS wear boots, low boots, high boots, mining boots, at least some shoes!! Something please, if they are uncomfortable how about at least putting some socks on before trudging through all that forgotten beast slime?

Somehow despite the rot Sigun is quite happy.  Perhaps being waited on hand and, dare I say, foot is better than the prospect of facing the dozens of goblins, trolls and other beasts that wait up top.

10th Granite, 512

Not one day after I visited her in the hospital Sigun Hamerack, the Cremation of Dunes, has fallen to infection.  One would have hoped that she could have fallen on the battlefield instead.  At least she was happy to the end. 

I've seen our doctor, Lucius Casius, repeatedly bathing the rot to no avail.   I fear that once the rot has set in there is nothing we can do. There is just too much filth.  I inspected Sigun's bed and this is the mess I found.

Sigun spent her last happy hours in a pile of forgotten beast extract and other fluids.   And what was an entire bag of black sand doing in the hospital.  That just can't be sanitary.  And the next day...

12th Granite, 512

I've halted the construction of most of the nobles rooms, they are dug out, but seeing as we have no nobles the furniture placement and smoothing will have to wait for a bit.

Daetrin has taken a turn for the worse..

18th Granite, 512

Would that the doctor hadn't been right...

Despite their orders nobody seems all that concerned with burying our fallen comrades or with finishing the FAILCANNON.  This has not been a good month so far.

19th Granite, 512

*sob*

To try and cheer me up Ilmoran, placed a cow in a silver cage in my new quarters.  Maybe he noticed that I always bring a sugar lump to Creiydrek's cow when I'm in the area.  I didn't end up taking the overseer's chambers. I took a more modest room that is still only half complete.  It is a huge step up from my small cubicle, and, frankly with so few of us left we should all be living in large chambers.

25th Granite, 512

Kubuk is still walking around with nothing but his axe wearing nothing but a whole lot of ichor and secretions.  Let's just say it isn't a pretty sight and leave it at that.  As such I've ordered him to a new squad as an experiment.  See sometimes these military types have taken one too many hammers to the noggin and they get it into their head that if they are ordered to wear nothing but steel armor and there isn't enough steel that, perhaps, it means that they shouldn't wear any normal clothing either.  Not that there is anything wrong with wearing only metal armor, I mean people think it might chafe, but going dwarf commando is surprisingly comfortable.  I myself am sporting nothing but iron armor and my fine bone leggings.  It really lets the breeze in.

Regardless, you gotta wear metal, or cloth, or both, but running around buck naked is a sure way to get the foot rot.  I feel like these are things I shouldn't have to  explain to my fellow dwarves, but sometimes being the Overseer means repeating the obvious to your colleagues.  Maybe there isn't enough steel available, I'll have to ask Nightmarebros our bookkeeper the next time I see him.

28th Granite, 512

A few moments spent staring through the fortifications was all it took to see that the goblin blighters haven't gone away.  They have some trolls to, but luckily none seem large or smart enough to break down our drawbridge.

The FAILCANNON is complete, but... well fail seems to be the word of the day.  I mean I didn't really pass my mechanics class in school... or many others, but I just don't see how the power was ever going to get from the three windmills to the screw pumps.  I think the best alternative is to tell the masons and mechanics to take apart the wind mills, and build a small windmill towers for power.  The idea of using water wheels in the vile blueness, as I like to call it, is not appetizing or rather we'd likely be appetizers for whatever is lurking beneath those waves.

edit: just minor typo type stuff
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:57:31 am by Pisano »

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2010, 02:50:41 am »

So, everyone inside is afflicted with The Rot, and we can't get migrants until we clean out the gobbos?

Awesome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2010, 02:58:33 am »

I took a look at the save and I must say, not a single word came to my mind but 'ABANDON'. Anyone capable of putting up with this, especially at 4-5 fps, is worthy of respect, anyone capable of making a less-than-horrible story out of it (And you've all done a wonderful job really), is worthy of more respect than most 'intellectuals' or college professors.

Good job, you load of crazies :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2010, 08:57:44 am »

Sigun Hameracks!  Nooo! 

Can you confirm how dwarves contract the Plague?  From walking through puddles of beast waste?  Are only the barefoot at risk?  Does wearing shoes prevent transmission? 

Zombie Hellscape indeed!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2010, 11:59:17 am »

So, everyone inside is afflicted with The Rot, and we can't get migrants until we clean out the gobbos?
Not everyone is afflicted, more when I update, but there are at least a half a dozen adults and 3 or 4 of the children that don't have any rot last I checked.  I don't really understand why, but dwarves often don't seem to clothe themselves after they've lost their clothing (I'm not even sure how/why they are losing clothes except that the military seems to wear out their clothing), even when there are lots of clothes lying around.

Sigun Hameracks!  Nooo! 

Can you confirm how dwarves contract the Plague?  From walking through puddles of beast waste?  Are only the barefoot at risk?  Does wearing shoes prevent transmission? 
I felt the same way about Sigun :(

I don't know for sure, but SethCreiyd seemed to think that it was from one of the forgotten beast extracts.  I'll try to keep an eye on the dwarves, maybe take a health survey.  To be certain many dwarves have sensory nerve damage and numb feet/limbs.  And many, tho fewer now due to attrition, have rotting bits and pieces.   I feel like the doctor is really trying hard, but has almost no skill so dwarves aren't getting any better.  All I know is that making a forgotten beast that leaves flesh eating scum behind takes a sick and twisted mind, kudos to you Tarn. 

One other observation, dwarves are terrible about cleaning up blood (and forgotten beast secretions).  It seems like one dead goblin/dwarf can create insane amounts of blood that is tracked all over the place. Honestly it seems a bit broken, there is only so much blood in a body and it seems like we have gallons of the stuff all over the place.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »

Can I still sign up for this?
If so, I sign up for this.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2010, 02:19:37 pm »

One other observation, dwarves are terrible about cleaning up blood (and forgotten beast secretions).  It seems like one dead goblin/dwarf can create insane amounts of blood that is tracked all over the place. Honestly it seems a bit broken, there is only so much blood in a body and it seems like we have gallons of the stuff all over the place.

Believe me, it was far worse in early versions of 0.31. Blood was multiplying then due to a bug. I could be virtually EVERYWHERE. In one of my forts situation got so bad I had to use a DFhack tool just to get rid of it (it was all over the 4x4 embark tile surface and plentiful on every frigging level of my expansive fortress).

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 26, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »

1st Slate, 512

There are only 19 of us left.  Well 19 if you count our two ghostly miners among the living.  I feel that since our numbers have dwindled to so few I should do a quick medical roll call before letting everyone get back to work.

The 5 remaining children are Asmel, Obok, Urist, Edzul the Child Menace, and Likot.  They are all orphans, but three are brothers.  I can never keep them straight; I mean children don't have beards so they all look the same to me.

- Asmel, has numb feet but no signs of rot yet. She is in the hospital.
- Obok, has numb feet also with no signs of rot, at least not yet...
- Likot, again, has numb feet with no signs of rot.
- Urist and Edzul, healthy!

Of the 12 remaining adults these folks need medical attention:

- Dishmab the Murderer, has a minor upper body wound that has gotten infected.  He was examined by Lucus about a week ago, so perhaps he will be okay.  Dishmab is wearing no clothing.
- Fikod, Miner and Axe Dwarf, is wearing no clothing and has numb feet with partial paralysis.  Lucus excised some rotten tissue from his left foot not 3 days ago.
- Inod, Carpenter, is lying nude in the hospital with an infection in his right leg and a right arm that needs someone to look at it.

These adults are healthy and clothed (except where noted):

- Creiydrek, Former Overseer and Engraver
- Eral, Blacksmith
- Lucus Casius, chief medical dwarf
- Nightmarebros, bookkeeper
- Kubuk, Axe Dwarf, generally wears nothing but his axe, but he recently picked up a spider silk hood that makes him look all the more ridiculous.  Despite running around in the he appears to be healthy.
- Pisano, current overseer, clothed, but my feet have recently started to stiffen up like Fikod's.  That might just be the result of some surgery that Creidrek did on my last Opal.
- Twobeard, our fine mayor, in ratty clothing and has a minor irritation on his lower stomach.  I think he has just gotten too fat and his belt is pinching.
- Zon, Swordmaster and Militia Commander
- Ilmoran, Legendary Mason, is wearing some incredibly raggedy clothing that, honestly, looks like it is going to fall off of him any day now.  I want to tell him to get some new clothing, but I'm not sure how to broach the subject.

So three of the children and three of the adults need medical attention and nine who can still work though some have partial paralysis.

What this tells me is that we need a second doctor.  Creidrek volunteered so I took him off of his hauling duties in hopes that we can save some of the wounded.  I'm also going to see about making some soap.  We must have the ingredients around here though I doubt we have anyone skilled in such a profession anymore. It should also be noted that for the most part folks who have footwear on don't have the rot.

15th Slate, 512

I've forbidden anyone from touching anything that is not a construction item outside of Battlefailed.  I am all for being tidy, but we have matters more pressing that sorting out dead troll bits and goblin armor.  I also formed up a new military squad, the Harmonius Anvils, whose uniform includes shoes and socks and any available metal armor. I lead this squad myself though I have no intention of ever taking us into battle.

25th Slate, 512

Some progress on the windmill towers at the top of the FAILCANNON.

2nd Felsite

Hmm, are the gobbos up to something? 

It sure seems like they would have attacked log ago if they thought they could breach our defenses.  They have been killing off the local fauna for the last few months, but little else.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 60