Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598849 times)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #615 on: July 28, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »

I believe the aquifer flood was released by Melkorp, and is an entirely different problem.  Last I checked, the flooded area ("lake mistake") was of little consequence and didn't flow (so no fps loss).  That might have changed though.

For Urist: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57052.msg1417979#msg1417979
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:25:20 pm by TurkeyXIII »
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 28, 2010, 02:05:05 pm »

A couple of final notes and questions...

I'm relatively new to dwarf fortress so that was my first succession fortress turn.  I have to say that running at 7 or so FPS while the siege was on was brutal.  I was up to maybe 10 or 15 for the rest of the time which felt quite snappy after 7.

I played this entire turn on 32.12.  I didn't copy over an raws or make any changes though.  I'm not 100% sure when one needs to do this so I didn't mess with it.

It took me a while to wrap my head around what I needed to do to fix the FAILCANNON.  There were a few missteps and a few pitfalls like a few gears mechanisms in the walls.  Gears aren't watertight, so the first effort just flooded everything.  It did eventually work out and allow the leaks to be plugged, but it wasn't until late in the year.  On the plus side we should be able to recover a lot of lost supplies once the water level recedes.

I have no idea why burial isn't working.. nobody will bury anyone despite a ton of free coffins marked to allow pets and citizens.

Clothing and armor... ugh, I have no idea how to make dwarves put their clothing back on.  I tried a number of things, putting them in new squads with different equipment designations.  Taking them out of quads.. I just don't understand what is wrong.   The squads are a mishmash right now because I had put people into them who aren't military types.  Actually having dwarves carry around a flask is a great thing, they can go a lot longer without having to run back for booze which is important when the main construction project is 100 z levels from the booze.

I carved out a new tree farm and irrigated it, but trees take a very long time to grow.

We could probably use a barracks, but I didn't assign one because I needed Zon for the workforce.  I think he is no longer rusty at most of the combat skills which he was at the start of the year.   We have a number of well equipped dwarves, but the only other one with notable combat skills, Kubek, insists on running around naked.

Lastly I had the doctor on very limited duties throughout the year since people would periodically go back in to the hospital for examinations.  Nobody has really been sick or gotten injured since the first month when dwarves were dropping like flies.

Good luck and have fun!

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 28, 2010, 02:30:29 pm »

It's me next, right? I'll get to playing tomorrow. I think the raws need to be overwritten, I'll get to that too.

On another note, is there something really important I should do when I start? Otherwise I'll engage in another zany scheme like the last time. Not moving the fortress though, it'd be stale.

Hm, maybe I'll put it under the vote (Robocorn, put it in the poll if possible?). My current ideas are:
1. Hooking up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor)
2. Building a castle over the fortress entrance
3. Flushing all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system
4. Constructing opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed
5. Getting rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 28, 2010, 02:39:19 pm »

I've put up the poll. It won't be up for long so don't rely on it too much.

As a personal suggestion. Do something about all the bones! they're killing the framerate and we just keep getting more of them! Make them into armor! make them into bolts to shoot at goblins! make them into totems and send them off with the humans! anything just get rid of the bones!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 28, 2010, 02:40:45 pm »

*Reads entire thread.*

There is no what big enough.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 28, 2010, 02:51:24 pm »

I don't think the raws need overwriting.

Keep the diamond slug alive. It's basically in the same position the fort is - you'd think it would be long dead, but it isn't. It may as well be our mascot.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:01:51 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 28, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »

I've put up the poll. It won't be up for long so don't rely on it too much.

As a personal suggestion. Do something about all the bones! they're killing the framerate and we just keep getting more of them! Make them into armor! make them into bolts to shoot at goblins! make them into totems and send them off with the humans! anything just get rid of the bones!

I can atom smash them maybe?

Actually, it's a damn shame bones can't be used as a building material. Unless someone knows a way how to do it (custom reaction maybe?) without re-genning the world?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:52:58 pm by Zathel »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:32 pm »

Bone blocks :D
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 28, 2010, 04:12:51 pm »

Mod an existing reaction (nobody uses fine pewter) to use bones and produce blocks of them.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 28, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »

Mod an existing reaction (nobody uses fine pewter) to use bones and produce blocks of them.
That's actually pretty brilliant. A bottle of sewer brew for you. We could be the first fort to have a literal ivory tower.

Just put in some filler about figuring out how to make bone blocks.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 28, 2010, 04:26:45 pm »

Battelfailed Bone castle.

Wow. this place is becoming more like a final fantasy Final boss dungeon by the minute.
The only thing better would be to rig the entire place to collapse at the pull of a lever, simulating the death of a load bearing boss. And maybe accidently killing a forgotten beast in the process.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 28, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »

[REACTION:PEWTER_LAY_MAKING]
[NAME:make bone blocks]
[BUILDING:CRAFT:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:5:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:BONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:NONE:A:][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:BONECARVE]
   [AUTOMATIC]
This was the closest thing I could make, If someone's better at modding than me I hope they can give it a try.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 28, 2010, 05:58:01 pm »

I think it would be more like

[REACTION:<existing reaction that won't be used>]
[BUILDING:<whatever the craftsdwarf's workshop is>:NONE]
[REAGENT:1:BONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT]
[SKILL:<bone carving skill goes here>]

replace the <phrases> with the proper tags, preferably test somewhere else, and if it works, voila.

Add me back to the turn list please.

EDIT: Maybe it's
[REAGENT:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_BONE_MAT]

I have no clue.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:11:17 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 28, 2010, 06:11:09 pm »

[REACTION:FINE_PEWTER_MAKING]
[BUILDING:MASON:NONE] (because I don't want to risk anything)
[REAGENT:5:BONE:NONE:NONE:NONE] (I made it less efficient so we actually lose bones. We don't need fifteen hundred blocks because that would be just as bad)
[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT]
[SKILL:BONECARVE (I looked it up it's bonecarve)

EDIT: both of ours crash the game. We need to work on this a little more
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:21:35 pm by Robocorn »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 28, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:NICKEL_SILVER_MAKING] Creiydrek actually likes pewter
[BUILDING:KILN:CUSTOM_B] only certain buildings work with custom reactions, dunno why
[REAGENT:A:5:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL][USE_BODY_COMPONENT]  they grab grouped stacks of bone so 5 makes them grab 5 stacks
[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
FUEL  you can bracket this if you like but we have magma kilns anyway
[SKILL:BONECARVE]

Sorry if this is extremely clunky, and I haven't tested it, but it should work.  I haven't had a great deal of time to figure out how the bones are handled.

Also, awesome turn, Pisano!  It's great that we're still alive (and thriving, so to speak).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:19:34 pm by SethCreiyd »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60