Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598884 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #645 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:46 pm »

The " coke from bituminous coal" part was me accidentally not deleting it. Go with the nickel silver reaction. Maybe replace the make bronze bars (use ore) reaction with a "make bone coffin" reaction, too.

I think without the body component tag they might grab bone crafts and armor (edit: or other bone blocks) to make blocks with.

Already taken care of.
[REAGENT:A:5:BONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]

It will only take bone-type items made of bone. One letter makes a big difference. ;D

Yeah, you're right. It still takes skulls and cartilage, but eating bone blocks to make bone blocks is bad and that solves it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:15:38 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 28, 2010, 11:26:54 pm »

Yeah, you're right. It still takes skulls and cartilage, but eating bone blocks to make bone blocks is bad and that solves it.

What exactly is wrong with getting rid of skulls and cartilage. Most of the cartilage in battlefailed has long rotten away and a zombie muskox skull pillar sounds like the most awesome thing you could ever conceivably make.

I have to wonder. If we turned the bone stacks into boulders would we be able to have goblin bone walls instead of goblin bone block walls? Nope, they start out as being called goblin bones but become rough goblin bone block walls when they're constructed.

Regardless, we should finish up our reaction so Zathel can incorporate it into Battlefailed's continuity and we can stop this off topic modding conversations. Seth's final update to Urists brilliant correction will work fine so we'll use that one.
Code: (for reaction_smelter replacing make_nickel_silver) [Select]
[REACTION:NICKEL_SILVER_MAKING]
   [NAME:make bone blocks]
[BUILDING:KILN:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:A:5:BONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:BONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BONE_MAT][USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:BONE_MAT]
[SKILL:BONECARVE]
Code: (to be put in material_template_default under bone_template) [Select]
[REACTION_CLASS:BONE]
    [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BONE_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:27:21 am by Robocorn »

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 29, 2010, 02:43:44 am »

One note about the skill... wouldn't it be possible to use Alchemy instead? I think it is coded in the game, just unused, and it fits with my idea for the fluff for how Battlefailed built a bone castle.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 29, 2010, 02:48:47 am »

yup ALCHEMY is the name of a skill, a not oft used one but seeing dwarven alchemists for a change would be nice. I thought it would have been funny if we used SET_BONE but that would be useful outside of transmuting the long dead corpses of those who fought us into grotesque bricks of bloodstained ivory to set upon our walls.

So yeah, alchemy's cool.

just change this
[SKILL:BONECARVE]

to this

[SKILL:ALCHEMY]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:51:14 am by Robocorn »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 29, 2010, 09:19:12 am »

We still have a problem of sapience - namely, that our dwarves won't butcher anything that showed signs of it. What I think we need is another reaction that uses corpses as a reagent.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Will Alvein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:07 pm »

Uh... hey people, sorry to interrupt (sort of) the current topic of the thread, but I just finished reading the whole thread and I feel obliged to ask if I can still pick a turn to participate on this, I know I'd end up regretting it if I didn't.  I don't really have any experience with succession games, or that much with dwarf fortress, for that matter... but that never stopped anybody in here, as far as I'm aware  :P

I guess that's all I have to say... well, besides of saying how awesome this whole thread is and all that, but that would be stating the obvious...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 29, 2010, 12:46:18 pm »

This is Battlefailed. Success is discouraged.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 29, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »

Journal of Eral "Tareon" Ushatosor

23rd Obsidian 512

I have notices something... strange about some of the filth plaguing Battlefailed. I heard that Doctor Solonarros identified that one of the forgotten beast's excretions was responsible for that dreadful skin rot we've lost some people to this Granite, and that must be it.

See, it has some strange properties, apart from the now well known very gruesome effect on living flesh. I'm not really sure what exactly they are but... I will find out. Not that there's much more to do with the flooding of upper Battlefailed contained, thanks to the pump system  the previous Overseer, whatever his name was, designed.

29th Obsidian 512

So, Mayor Twobeard Rigothbelal think I'm the man for the job of overseeing Battlefailed next year. I don't think I've even spoken to him before, but who am I to question him? I guess I'll have to try. Maybe my dear Illie and Deggie will rest easier knowing that I did my best to help our home... and their final resting place.

Also, I think I'm nearing a breakthrough on that extract. It certainly seems to influence organic material, without getting into reaction with it. I'll be borrowing a forge in the magmaworks to test out some theories I developed.

3rd Granite 513

THAT'S IT! I got it!

I got my hands on books one of the previous Overseers, Bookmaster Ottanlimul, brought with him from Mountainhomes. Along bureaucratic dredge there was hidden a report on some of the more arcane practices of the humans from Gil Thinir. It helped me greatly with achieving a breakthrough. In the honor of this Overseer, even if I heard he had an adamantium stick up his bureacratic ass, I'll name the substance I isolated from the slime "Zathelite".

Zathelite is a powerful catalyst. It allows binding and hardening of bones so that they have hardness and overall strength of metal or hard rock. Reaction requires high temperatures, provided by magma kilns, and a dose of clotted blood... which we have in abundance. As a catalyst, its completely reusable, so we won't have to worry about getting more than I already isolated.

I've been going around the fortress, asking my compatriots about many things. After hearing about my invention, someone threw out an idea to construct a huge totem above the drainage system... out of bone. It was met with general approval. I have to say I agree, though. It will serve as a deterrent. Maybe, after it's done, goblins will leave us alone. If not... the second demand that was made will take care of them.

After completing the totem, I will do my best to construct a huge power generator, using another of Zathel's manuals. It will be then used to power a huge pump stack that will utilize the drainage system outlet to pour magma on anyone stupid enough to bother our home.

13th Granite 513

I don't know who though that fortifications of ground level of the surface were a good idea, but I ordered them sealed. When the magma Device will be complete, we won't want hot fiery death flooding our courtyard.

According to plans, there should be an additional floodgate near the reservoir that was reserved for "future projects". I have found none. No documents involving it's deconstruction too. There goes my plan to supply the reactor this way. On top of it, the crazy obsidianizing operation carried out by one of the Overseers rendered the usual water supply completely useless. Unless I make it work again.

I have also ordered construction of additional kilns. We'll need them.

23rd Granite 513

Creiydrek finished first bone... block. Ugly, misshapen mess of muskox bone. It will serve perfectly.

I'm having trouble with getting people to work. Especially Fikod. Mine you fool, we need to snap out of this stagnation, and we need some digging to do that!

4th Slate 513

Surprisingly, some migrants arrived. Novice siege operator, high master butcher who, as he said, knows how to handle himself in a fight, Mountainhome University Architecture Department dropout, a bowyer, skilled ranger, a farmer, master carpenter, a thresher who used to serve in the army, a fish dissector and, for a lack of better term, a thug. Ten dwarves in total. Much needed addition to our little community. They got a taste of what's life in Battlefailed is like. Got chased by an undead groundhog just before reaching the gates.

Some stray dog got locked out. Mutt snuck out just before the gate slammed close. It won't be missed. Hell, it might even survive until we have a good reason to open the gates. Stranger things happened.

28th Slate 513

After a month of hard digging, Fikod returned from the caverns, drenched head to toe, wearing only his pick and the biggest smile I've seen in Battlefailed, ever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This solves the water problem.

Ok, something is wrong. I was able to order production of bone blocks, at one kiln. And one kiln only, one time. Other kilns do not show this option, nor does it show again at the original kiln. Anyone has any idea what's wrong?

Ordering via manager works. Do you folks mind if I wait a day for therapist update? it's fucking annoying to run a fort when you're used to it. In other news, the reaction is badly constructed. It uses 5 different entities of bone, which often causes dwarves to drop the task at gathering materials stage and steal gathered bones from other kilns. I reduced it to 1 to 1.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:58:18 am by Zathel »

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 29, 2010, 01:13:23 pm »

This sounds similar to the bug with soap production. Try using the manager to issue orders for bone block production, and see if that works?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 29, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »

Are the bones all forbidden?

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 29, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »

We still have a problem of sapience - namely, that our dwarves won't butcher anything that showed signs of it. What I think we need is another reaction that uses corpses as a reagent.

That is so naive that it doesn't even make sense. We cant use corpses in a reaction because if the
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN] tag in dwarven civilization.
the obvious solution is to change it to
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:PERSONAL_MATTER]
or barring that
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 29, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »

My bad - I'm not good with ethics.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:27:17 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 29, 2010, 05:11:51 pm »

Put me at the end of the current turn list, please. I want to be able to play a full year and if the fortress makes it that far, my turn should be extraordinarily fun.
Also, there have been no zombie whales so far. I was looking forward to seeing some back when this fort started...
And if I could request yet another redorfing, that would be awesome too. Any dwarf will do.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 29, 2010, 05:36:11 pm »

I thought that, if you change any entity tags, it requires a world regen.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 29, 2010, 06:17:42 pm »

I thought that, if you change any entity tags, it requires a world regen.

maybe it does, but the entity tag itself interferes with any goblin to brick reactions during the run of the game so we'll have to just drop using goblin bones and elf bones. Even if we came up with a reaction to turn dead goblins into corpse bricks to get around butchering them it would fail to be utilized because we can't use goblin parts because goblins (being sapient) are forbidden from being used as material in the entity files.

I'll try to find the problem with zathel's kilns.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60