Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598819 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #660 on: July 29, 2010, 06:21:52 pm »

What if we remove the [INTELLIGENT] tag from goblins and elves (maybe humans and kobolds too)? It might put them in a sort of quasi-sapient state that allows them to still attack (the civ has already been established) but not count as sapient (no relevant raw tag). This would also satisfy the "identical goblins" aspect of Andreus' description of the fort. Also if I'm right it will cause elves (and optional humans) to siege us instead of trading due to the lack of [CAN_SPEAK] or [INTELLIGENT].
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:46:02 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 29, 2010, 06:47:41 pm »

Of course couldnt you fix the bones stealing problem with burrows? Or alternatively just deal with only having one kiln?
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 29, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »

Pisano mass forbade a lot of the bones presumably to keep the dwarves from going on land during the seige to get them. The several hundred limbs we had are mostly hidden and forbidden.

There's no problem with having more than one kiln, I tested it before. The problem is that the bones are hidden and you'll have to go into the d>b>H menu to reveal them all then subsequently claim all of the forbidden bones outside of the fort.

EDIT: Urist, Andreus said identical goblins because in my turn I came to the conclusion that all goblins are named Stozu using a large number of goblin warriors and members of their civ as examples. If you can rename all of the goblins "Poison" without changing the names of any of their buildings and civilizations then you'll get a gold star.

I'm not sure I like the idea of making them nonsapient just so we can use their bones.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:13:21 am by Robocorn »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 30, 2010, 01:15:02 am »

Pisano mass forbade a lot of the bones presumably to keep the dwarves from going on land during the seige to get them. The several hundred limbs we had are mostly hidden and forbidden.

There's no problem with having more than one kiln, I tested it before. The problem is that the bones are hidden and you'll have to go into the d>b>H menu to reveal them all then subsequently claim all of the forbidden bones outside of the fort.

This fort is such a beautiful mess.

Just my $.02.  Bone blocks are one thing, but I'd be against changing the intelligence of creatures just so we could use their bodies in reactions.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 30, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »

You're right. That would be wrong.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 30, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »

Actually, I always wanted to make bone crafts from goblins. Now I know how. Not gonna mess with this if that's the general consensus though.

Next update tomorrow morning, I was busy today. I guess I'll have to do without Therapist too.

Awesome, thanks Urist.

BTW, if anyone wants to get dwarfed, tell me. You'll find overview of professions in my story posts. We have 4 fighters (competent female and adequate female axedwarves+other combat skills, and two male novice brawlers+combat skills), competent one is also a pretty decent marksdwarf. Since archery training and fighting finally works, I've been thinking of actually drafting her in that role. Or I'll just stick an battleaxe in her hand and tell her to go slaughter wildlife.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:40:38 pm by Zathel »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 30, 2010, 02:57:52 pm »

Morality aside, I like knowing the names of the enemy.  How else will we know which one is Stozu?

Zathel, Therapist works with 31.12!  But you have to manually input the info:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39229.msg1429753#msg1429753

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 30, 2010, 05:08:21 pm »

The lazy newb pack also has a copy of therapist that is compatible with .12 if your like me and so lazy that you downloaded a dozen utilities that you wont use just to get a copy of therapist.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 30, 2010, 05:44:17 pm »

It is Hammertime for "Urist the Viole(n)t." Yes, that is what I want my dwarf to be named, with the (n).

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 30, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »

It is Hammertime for "Urist the Viole(n)t." Yes, that is what I want my dwarf to be named, with the (n).
Your dwarf is both highly aggressive and bluish-purple.  Good to know.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 31, 2010, 03:07:19 am »

Don't overdo it with the modding. Changing reactions is fine, but changing creature tags? Not so fine.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 31, 2010, 04:05:34 am »

Here's your dorf Urist. I picked the only male with battle skills (it seems I saw something wrong last time). He's also a master thresher, not that it means anything, our farming is limited to few plump helmet fields.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The bone blocks reaction stopped working completely. I tried fiddling with it, I've got nothing. I don't know why, it doesn't show up in kilns, neither does it work via manager (order gets validated then nothing). Any ideas?

Well, it works. Somehow. But it only uses bones, and it seems every stack of bone ever was forbidden in the fort. How can I add skulls to the mix?

9th Felsite 513

Work is slow, but steady. I just hope this mad idea for a "reactor" works, to bring magma up to surface we'll need a lot of power.

I also noticed that we don't have any ore ready to process. Once our two miners are done with digging out the reactor, I'll send them out to mine some iron, marble and coal. I have a feeling we'll need it.

13th Felsite 513

I heard that the dog that got locked out was butchered by kobolds today. Oh well.

19th Felsite 513

One of the elves got mauled by muskoxen before militia could rush up top. You'd think they'd learn to send guards with their caravans by now.

And they brought next to nothing too. A few barrels of alcohol, that's it. Not even one log of wood. And we'll need lots of wood if we hope to build that reactor. At least Avuz, whom I forced into trading, got some practice in appraising. I hope humans will bring something better. Or anything useful at all.

10th Hematite 513

We've struck fresh veins of iron ore and coal, we also know where to mine marble. I'd rather not touch anything in the old fortress, we've had luck so far, I'd rather not risk changing it.

Zathel's note:

I swear these fuckers have a death wish. All of them. I couldn't do shit for over a month because I was busy watching the front gate and waiting for a good moment to close without locking one idiot or another out of the fortress. So frustrating. Even more so that I remembered I can just force them to move inside using a burrow after that lost month. Go me. And even after I ordered them inside via alert, it took forever to actually get to the point where I could pull the damned lever. I don't understand why the animals won't just fucking stay in the dining room, like they do in all my other forts.

22nd Malachite 513

I'm not cut out for this job. I'll just play along with Mayor Twobeard till the end of the year, ensure there are bone blocks ready for whomever wants to pick up that totem business, and generally make things as comfortable for everyone as possible. Speaking of which, I noticed we don't have enough barrels. Or booze. I need to hunt down whomever is responsible for this.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:21:35 am by Zathel »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 31, 2010, 07:37:00 am »

Check the 'o'rders menu and see if your dwarves have job cancellation messages turned off. If they are, turn them on and try again.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 31, 2010, 04:32:31 pm »

I don't know what this reactor business is, Pisano unofficially changed his vote to castle when we mentioned bone blocks so it wound up castle 12 to reactor 11.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 31, 2010, 04:50:38 pm »

Yeah, sorry it didn't occur to me to go and look at the poll to see if I could officially change it.  Also yeah, I mass forbade everything outside of the walls to try and keep dwarves from running outside to fetch things.  And I mass forbade a lot of stuff in the first few levels which were under water so that the dwarves wouldn't try to retrieve stuff from there when I allowed the door so I could plug the ocean gaps while the FAILCANNON was working.  There was a huge amount of micromanagement to get anything done with only 10 or so working dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60