Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 606590 times)

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #690 on: August 05, 2010, 04:23:27 pm »

15th Sandstone 513

I've ordered any unprocessed corpse still inside the walls to be brought to butcher's shops for processing. Maybe we can scave extract some more bones for the blocks. We'll need a couple dozen more to complete the totem in the form I planned. If not, I'll have to improvise.

20th Sandstone 513

Just in case, I decided to slaughter all warthogs, save one (for zoo's sake). We could use the meat anyway, and they smell worse than muskoxen.

27th Sandstone 513

It seems none of the bones from corpses can be used in reaction. Shame. Might as well stock the larders of Battlefailed with meat. I hope everyone here likes meat. We'll be eating it for decades to come. I guess if I ever get around to sculpting, I need to make a statue of Urist McPasteur in thanks for inventing his incredible preservation methods (especially his "5-minute rule") used in our society nowadays.

13th Timber 513

Goblins arrived today. About two score of them. I don't bother with counting exactly, they won't be getting in, they'll get bored and then they'll leave. Damn shame totem isn't finished.

15th Timber 513

Power must be getting to my head. Since there are no bowmen with them, I actually considered getting together with few others and basking in good ol' fashioned carnage. Cries of battle, clash of steel on iron, screams of the wounded, dance of life and death, trance of war and all that stuff.

Then I drank some beer and got better.

17th Timber 513

Thank god I came to my senses. Another score and some of them arrived, including a dozen or so bowmen. And a few trolls. It is not the day Battlefailed proves it's name was aptly chosen.

23rd Timber 513

Some of the dwarves started complaining about numb feet. Idiots. Just because no one died because of foot rot in a year doesn't mean you can run around naked, the damned extract is still around.

12th Moonstone 513

Today, Zon stumbled upon a gremlin in the spiral staircase at stockpile level. If only every problem Battlefailed suffers from was so kind to come straight to the solution.

I'm on 25th Moonstone now. I'll do the last two months tomorrow morning. Hopefully.

Right. Screenshots. I wish I could say I knew I forgot about something, but no such thing. I didn't know I forgot something. I can catch a shot of the siege, maybe a combat log from Zon's scuffle with the kobold if it didn't disappear yet.

I'd post the totem shot if the visualizer was working. Sadly, it wasn't updated as far as I know and the save doesn't work in earlier versions.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:37:54 pm by Zathel »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 05, 2010, 04:28:16 pm »

Screeeeeenshoooots!!!
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 05, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »

I'll bet twenty dwarfbucks that gremlin was headed straight for the main gate's lever.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 05, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »

Phew, four hours and I've catched up :3

Posting for stalking GREAT JUSTICE.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 05, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »

I'll bet twenty dwarfbucks that gremlin was headed straight for the main gate's lever.

I only take bets for bottles of sewer brew!  In this case that would be been about the most fun thing for Battlefailed though so I'm inclined to agree.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 06, 2010, 07:05:33 am »

I like that if you go barefoot in Battlefailed, you get gruesomely sick and die.  We should a get a brochure out to the tourists.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 06, 2010, 07:42:14 am »

Anyone else notice this?

Zon is so badass, he parries blows with his weapon while it's stuck in his enemy's flesh?

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 06, 2010, 08:26:57 am »

That is badass and hilarious in more ways than one. It's incongruencies like that that make me love Dwarf Fortress.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 06, 2010, 08:40:49 am »

Quite a few of the dwarves had foot numbness the entire year I was overseer.  Despite my best efforts I couldn't get some of them to put clothing on.  Periodically they would go in for a diagnosis and sometimes the doctor would remove some flesh on their feet.  Some of them limp around.  If you watch a healthy dwarf (Zon was one) he moves twice as fast as the gimpy dwarves though that might also be because he has amazing physical attributes at this point.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 06, 2010, 10:23:17 am »

28th Moonstone 513

Goblins still sit there, outside the gates. Only weird thing is that they've split into 3 groups. Hammergobs to the north, by the old shaft, the bulk of axegobs, lashers and archers southeast of the gate, on the plains, and a couple trolls at the beach, south of the fortifications. Are they planning something? Not likely. If they had any way of breaching the gates or bypassing the walls, they'd have done so long ago.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Opal 513

That's it for the totem this year, I guess. I feel queasy just thinking about slaughtering more livestock, and we ran out of bones. Maybe my successor will pick it up. Maybe not.

Over 9000 hours in MS paint. I tried to make a skull. Lvl 104 contains teeth, lvl 106 nasal hole. I just hope I'm not the only one that can honestly say it resembles an actual skull.

7th Opal 513

The pump stack for the reservoir and irrigation isn't working. I don't know why. Maybe it has something to do with the tunnel dig out into the cavern at tle lowest level (WHY?). Maybe it has to do with the lake being made of obsidian now. If I could get my hands on the idiots that pulled off this foolishness, I would... gah. For the time being, I ordered reconstruction of the pump at the very bottom of the stack. Hopefully it'll help.

13th Opal 513

I found the reason for the whole pump stack mess. Bureaucracy. Apparently I was the only dwarf unaware that for some unfathomable reason usage of that one pump was forbidden due to some silly document. Thank gods I found that stupid piece of paper before I ordered construction of another pump right next to the perfectly functioning one. Shame I couldn't find it in time to stop the mining work to prepare space for it.

15th Opal 513

Finally, the reservoir is refilled. One more problem for the reactor out of the way. Now it only needs water wheels and axles to connect the gears. I'll finish installing the drainage system in coming days. However, actually flooding the banks of the power stations will have to wait until wheels are finished.

27th Opal 513

Today, Onul, of of the most recent migrants, gave birth to a boy. She named him Erush. I guess Battlefailed isn't that bad of a place if children are still born here.

3rd Obsidian 513

Drainage and water access floodgate mechanisms for the reactor are complete. I hope the rest of this month, and my term at the same time, will be uneventful and peaceful.

18th Obsidians

When I looked over the wall today, the goblins were gone. I wonder when they'll come again. I hope it'll be next winter, so they won't disrupt the caravans. I just love seeing the buggers stand in the rain, wallowing in muck of Plains of Ooze while being battered by pungent winds blowing from over the Blueness of Malodors.

1st Granite 514

Finally, I can lay down the burdens of leadership. It was a rather peaceful year, even if non of the big projects I planned out last Granite are finished. Not enough dwarves, not enough resources. I just hope next overseer will be someone more suited for the job.

I've started uploading the save. It'll take a while. I'll edit the post with the link soon

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2903
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:03:24 am by Zathel »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 06, 2010, 11:05:54 am »

Awesome.  A giant skull hovering the fort is way appropriate.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 06, 2010, 11:51:22 am »

File gotten. I'll try and start on it as soon as I can, but you happened to catch me on what may be a busy weekend so I can't promise I'll be done particularly quickly.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 06, 2010, 01:20:34 pm »

you happened to catch me on what may be a busy weekend
Because that's the Battlefailed way!
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 06, 2010, 01:27:42 pm »

Awesome.  A giant skull hovering the fort is way appropriate.

In my plans it required 3 z-levels to be complete, which, assuming full completion of the sides of the skull, would require about 40 bone blocks more. I let out dogs and cows, maybe they'll breed to the point where completion of this project will be possible.

Also, the reactor should provide about 2500 units of power. I should be enough to power double pump stack carrying magma to the FAILCANNON itself. If not, building another reactor right next to the existing one (it could even be hooked up to the same drainage tunnel) should solve any power shortages. There is of course, major shortage of wood for the water wheels and axles.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 06, 2010, 02:05:15 pm »

You could disassemble the 4 windmills that are currently powering some of the pumps in the FAILCANNON, it is a pittance, but that is 12 logs.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 60