Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 598836 times)

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #780 on: August 10, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »

*cue epic Urist McChurchill speech*
Battlefailed is more then a fort, its an idea. Battlefailed represents what dwarf fortress is all about, and if this fort falls, then dwarf fortress falls. We have been though so much with battlefailed, so I ask you, the people, to suffer some more. Not for battlefailed, but for what it represents! It represents fun! AND I WANT SOME MORE GOD DAMN FUN!
Losing is fun.  Cheating just to prolong losing is not.
You miss the point of my speech, the greatness of battlefailed is that it always loses, but still goes on.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 10, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »

Andreus, could you post the final region save as part of your epilogue?

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 10, 2010, 04:41:48 pm »

Or just post the save if you cant handle the slow framerates
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 10, 2010, 04:50:37 pm »

It was over so fast. Half the fortress was dead before anyone knew what had happened.

The creature must have been enraged by the vibrations of the Engine as it began to grind into gear - there was no other explanation for the speed and ferocity of its attack, when so many other creatures had made their presences known years before any aggression was offered. Finding quick passage into the fortress, the monstrous stonefly screamed up the access shaft into the guts of the fortress - perhaps by chance, perhaps by some quirk of karma, perhaps by attraction to his mystic aura, Andreus' fourth incarnation was his first target. It was perhaps an indication of the fortress' impending fate when despite his incarnation's skill with an axe and quickness of body, he fell in an instant, struck dead by the monster before he could even scream. Soul shorn from his body, he could only watch as Fikod Koganilush Dumatedod Egom, one of the fortress' champions, was dashed against the walls in a similar fashion. Two miners fell dead by the time someone had fought to raise the alarm and mobilise the militia, little knowing the beast was far, far beyond such petty interruptions. As the first squad approached, the forgotten abomination showed its true, horrifying power - releasing a shockwave of foul, cloying dust, it stopped Battlefailed's bravest sons in their tracks, those who were not set upon by the thing immediately were left choking and gasping their last as they watched their friends cut down in front of them.

Nearly every former overseer of the fort left alive until that point was killed almost simultaneously - a somewhat fitting, if macabre closure to their careers. With no serious resistance left in the fortress, its malevolent gaze turned upon the most defenceless of all the residents - the children. A dozen screams rang out through the fortress in quick succession as each child was torn limb from limb. A last-ditch effort was made to save the fortress as every remaining dwarf who could hold a weapon ran to the stockpiles and siezed whatever instrument of war they could lay their hands on, charging the beast as one, with all the courage, fury and honour a dwarf with nothing to lose can muster.

It was a brave and honourable but ultimately futile guesture. Those who did not die instantly were to die a slow, painful death as Stuzung's foul dust filled their lungs and stopped their breath.

"Nightmarebros", one of the only survivors, clung to life for days afterwards, managing to crawl up to a safe spot where he could hide from the monster as it took out its unending rage upon the dining hall, the arena and the various workshops that had once filled the place with the clamour of chisel upon stone and saw upon wood. His back was broken in several places and the beast had hacked off his leg just below the knee - dragging himself on his hands and his one good leg had taken hours of painful, agonising effort, but for now he was safe. But to what future? Should the great armies of Dastot Cog arrive this very hour he would never walk again at the very best - more likely he would die choking within the next few days, for the dust was in his lungs. The fortress as he knew it was shattered, a boneyard and a charnel-house full only of the ashes of everything he had once loved. Everyone he knew was dead or dying. His breath slipping from him in ragged, frothy gasps, he pleaded to the gods for it to end.

Whether by the gods, or the spirits, or nature, or simply the random chance of the cosmos, his wish was granted. From his eternal imprisonment burst Leesin - despite being trapped outside of time itself, he somehow possessed an instinctive knowing of what had passed in the fortress. Quietly slipping past the monster he made his way into Upper Battlefailed. Little did he remember of the place, but he knew enough of what was there to sabotage the floodwalls keeping the foul ocean above out. As the water began to seep in, he made his way to Battlefailed's military stockpile and grabbed for himself what equipment was left after the rest of the populace had ransacked it. Seizing for himself a weapon which will forever be lost in the mists of time, he marched down to the hallway outside the grand dining hall which had once echoed with the rowdy, joyous drinking songs and animated conversations of a hundred or more dwarves. There he spied the beast.

All was lost. But there was still hope - hope that justice might yet be done. As he faced the chittering abomination, Leesin spoke only two words.

"Kar Nokzamungeg" - "For Battlefailed".

He died gloriously, in battle with the beast that had murdered his people, but before his last breath, a smile crossed his lips as a distant crashing was heard.

The water was coming.

Tossing the dwarf's mangled body aside, Stuzung Menacedcave the Dreamy Abyss screeched in rage as it caught the sound of the ocean in the fortress' stale air. Screeching and flailing it cast about to slake its insane rage upon anything within reach, workshops, corpses, doors, statues. The crash echoed closer.

The water was close.

Flailing with all six of its chitinous, vile limbs, this creature, this monster from before the dawn of recorded history, instead of seeking shelter, sought with all its might to somehow avenge its inevitable fate upon its surroundings, giving voice to its frustrations with an unclean holler of vexation. But it was far too late. The crashing water had reached the level of the great hall.

The water had come.

The creature had just time to witness with its many-faceted eyes the doom that awaited it.

And then Battlefailed was gone.

----

A moment of silence, if you will, gents.

Final save.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:53:45 pm by Andreus »

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 10, 2010, 04:55:40 pm »

Or is it?

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 10, 2010, 05:06:28 pm »

Or is it?

Yeah. Really. It's gone. I am certain once you take a look at the save you will start agreeing with me.

Somehow either the seawall or the provisions we made to seal the aquifer have failed, and failed spectacularly. The whole of Battlefailed will flood, the framerate will crawl, and unfortunately, Stuzung will most likely still be alive (outside of inspiring fiction, FBs don't drown). Most of the mineral veins are now underwater. All three cave systems will eventually flood because Battlefailed was not hermetically sealed, and the cave systems are expansive enough that it would be difficult to dig around them to get to the magma ocean - and building a pumpstack would be nigh-impossible. In any case there would be absolutely no source of potable water as from what I understand of the mechanics it only takes a single 1/7 unit of seawater to contaminate an entire lake's worth of freshwater. The bondaries of the fort and the cave systems are not visible upon reclaim so it would be nearly impossible to tell if we were about to break into them. The only possible method I can think of for fixing this is some iteration of the burning lignite bin trick, for which we would need magma, which, as stated before, will be extremely difficult to access.

Battlefailed is dead, unless we savescum.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 10, 2010, 05:10:10 pm »

I vote for savescum!

EDIT: Snagging the final save, I'm going to poke about.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:12:31 pm by dragonshardz »

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 10, 2010, 05:10:26 pm »

I am going to attempt to save it without savescumming. But first im going to take a look at the area in adventure mode.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 10, 2010, 05:14:01 pm »

Look, if it's any consolation, guys, I'm really sorry I killed Battlefailed.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 10, 2010, 05:20:52 pm »

I am going to attempt to save it without savescumming.
A dwarf-worthy quest. May armok shine his many blessings out of your backside.
Also, andreaus, who's going to be mad at battlefailing dieing as it lived: failing spectaculary, with the failcannon, the bane of every engineer dwarf in the fort, finally exploding and flooding the fort so badly it could flood the entire underground.
And plus I probably didn't drown. JUST AS PLANNED. although I am now possibly stuck in a sealed room as water comes down around my ears, which was not part of the plan.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 10, 2010, 05:30:39 pm »

I'm attempting another reclaim of my own as the problem with the water may not be as bad as previously thought - we will still have to contend with Stuzung, and the fortress' relative uninhabitability however, and as of ye we don't even have the faintest clue what the bottom levels of the fortress look like.

I bet Stuxul is still down there on fire, though.

At some point we should have a summit on the general feasability of a reclaim, after we've each done our own research into the matter. I would highly value SethCreiyd and Urist Imiknoris' inputs on this matter as I get the impression they're the experts in the Dwarf Fortress field.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:33:22 pm by Andreus »

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 10, 2010, 05:31:47 pm »

It was spectacular end to an awesome succession fort.

May the souls of Battlefailed's dwarves rest in eternal peace, for they undertook the impossible and prevailed through threats and tribulations that have felled many greater fortresses.

Rest in peace, Battlefailed. And may you serve as a symbol of dwarven resilience in the face of impossible odds.

Even more so if the reclaim succeeds.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 10, 2010, 05:54:17 pm »

My reclaim uncovered something that will be important:

The goblins we captured have escaped, and, due to the oddness of reclaim, are not only friendly, but appear to have killed some of the FBs. "Stuxul's yellow diamond" is lying on the floor of the main stockpile room near a few goblins.

According to Runesmith, Stuzung is somewhere nearby, hiding in ambush.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:58:01 pm by Andreus »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 10, 2010, 06:01:10 pm »

Oh wow, freindly goblins. I think we now have something to use against Stunzung. Or against the seiging goblins.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 10, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »

Oh wow, freindly goblins. I think we now have something to use against Stunzung. Or against the seiging goblins.

They'll turn violent the moment there's a siege or a childsnatcher.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60