Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: THE EPIC OF DEONIDEAS - MANLY FANTASY FICTION  (Read 18400 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THE EPIC OF DEONIDEAS - MANLY FANTASY FICTION
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 05:19:43 pm »

I've only done the cover page right now... there will be a story to go with this later.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:24:00 pm by Fault »

SiN.Daeus

• Bay Watcher
  • IT LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »

Looks great, but because I'm nitpicky, you maybe want to anti-aliase/smoothen the pic a bit... don't get me wrong, it looks great, but just kinda lookin' at it is a bit overwhelming.

EDIT: Ok, I did it myself. Just ran a very light blur over it cause I'm too lazy to smooth properly.

Ok... not much difference. Meh.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:12:51 pm by SiN.Daeus »
The best kind of music is
---]HEAVY[---
---]HEAVY[---
---]METAL[---

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »

I plan to make it sort of sepia tone in photoshop - that is not the final product.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »

I shall watch this epic...whatever it ends up being.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SiN.Daeus

• Bay Watcher
  • IT LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:58 pm »

ooh. ok then. but dont forget, Deonideas need lots of manly MANLY chest hair.

And I shall be watching this too.
The best kind of music is
---]HEAVY[---
---]HEAVY[---
---]METAL[---

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33:03 pm »

Hehe.
I started something epic.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »

Hello, epic thread.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 07:41:05 pm »

I like the expression on the codpiece. I think it knows its a codpiece.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »

And it's just fine with that. Just fine.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 08:00:26 pm »

It comes alive as a spunky talking donkey sidekick.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »

Deonideas and the Woman of Fire by Gritt Säwtrunk

Thumb, thrum. Thrum, thrum. Tunda, tunda, thrum, thrum.

The beats of jungle drums focused his mind, and he looked through dew soaked leaves. Wildcats and strange bugs had harassed him for days. Now he was within earshot of his quarry. Tunda, thrum, and he moved ever closer to their still beating hearts. Hearts that would not be beating for long. His weapon long since abandoned, and forgotten in a meatbog. It was some kind of magic axe. He didn't give a shit as he moved to the throat of the jungle procession. He was never unarmed.

Thumb, bum, bum. The priests' beat was summoning the spirits for protection. The jungle was dangerous, even for the well prepared. Deonideas grabbed hold of the stalk of a jungle tree. As it was pulled from the ground its roots tried in vain to grip the sod earth. Into the air it rose, and the nature of the men in the jungle was revealed. They were men wearing masks of fresh hyena leather, and horse heads. They carried two coffins through the narrow jungle path. Standing atop the lead coffin was their leader, the werecrocodile Amombabåd. The tree's flight lead it into the halfman, and made him fly from the coffin to the mud.

The priests ceased their beating drums and looked towards Deonideas, the clouds began to darken. A single, silver stream of light came down from the clouds, and encircled the read coffin. Deonideas had no time to take his focus off of what he was doing. Three of the priests rushed forward to him. The lead priest reached him first, drew a knife, and found his first attack blocked. Deonideas had taken his hand, and crushed its bones around the knife until the two were entwined. He ripped the arm from the priest, and declared to the world, "This is my knife flail." The second priest to reach Deonideas was cut clear across the face, and dropped to his knees in pain. The third peed himself, and ran into the jungle.

Amombabåd rose from the mud as a giant crocodile. His front teeth had grown so large that he couldn't close his mouth entirely. The manbeast let out a feral roar that made even his priests run in fear. They were alone on the battlefield, the two men of long names. Amombabåd began a running charge towards Deonideas. When he had closed the distance, the man tucked to the side and rolled. He unleashed the knife flail on the croc's sides, but to no avail. The werebeast had a skin as thick as four crocodile skins. The knife only breached two of them at any time.

Amombabåd turned to bite Deonideas, but the man grabbed the werecroc's front teeth. He pulled them out by the root, and leaped onto the beast's back. He turned, and planted the teeth into Amombabåd's eyes. He held tightly to the croc as it became a giant flail in and of itself. The beast flailed around for a minute. Deonideas watched the battlefield change slightly in that time. An angel of the fire god Azure Asflamebaits was descending upon the rear coffin. Amombabåd was rapidly approaching the lead coffin. Amombabåd's mighty tail blasted the lead coffin open.

Thrum, thrum, abumbum. The sound of drums was once again heard, and then fell silent. Deonideas watched as something rushed from the coffin onto the tail of the werebrute. It was another minute before the beast had slowed enough for Deonideas to see what it was. There was a man on the beast's tail, and he was drinking from a giant cut. The man raised his head, and blood mixed with saliva dripped from his mouth to the ground. The vampire spoke in wisps of battered air, "Freedom, oh sweet freedom has long been denied me."

"I will deny you your undeath," Deonideas said as he pulled the teeth from the beast's eyes. Gore came with them, marking them as true knifes. Amombabåd breathed shallow beneath the two of them.

"When I'm finished with you, there is a female fire angel that was once to be my sacrifice in that coffin," the vampire said. "With her blood, I will be invincible. Invincible!"

The male fire angel which had been standing atop the rear coffin spoke in roars, "I will never allow you to do that!"

Deonideas didn't give a shit about either of them. He lunged at the vampire with his knifes, and each of them found their place. Deonideas was on the other side of the vampire as its head thudded against the ground. He dropped the knifes to the ground as the acidic blood began to eat them. He reached behind him, and grabbed Amombabåd's tail. In two tugs it had come free of its master, and gusher of blood began to pour from the tears in the backside of the beast.

The fire angel turned to the vampire's head as it magically floated up to a man's height. "By the power of Azure's sunlight!" The angel fired a beam of true light at the undead monster. As the sunlight began to pour over the beast, sparkles began emanating from the skin of the monster.

"Your sunlight has no power over me!"

"Some day, someone will make a sport of this," Deonideas said as he took the werecrocodile's tail, and batted the vampire's head to the sky. It disappeared into the distance. It took nothing for Deonideas to resist the urge to run around in a circle.

The fire angel approached to congratulate him. Deonideas took the werecroc's tail, and beaned him in the side of the head. He only had to beat the angel for a few moments before he heard a crunch that was the angel's ribcage imploding. Deonideas tossed the flaming croc's tail to the side.

Deonideas approached the rear coffin. Its mahogany lid parted from the frame in a single fluid motion. The glow from inside was the only light left as the beam of sun from the heavens disappeared. Azure knew he'd claimed his prize in fair combat. The clouds were blackest black, and rain began pouring down in waves. Deonideas tossed the cover the side, and gazed on his prize. She had the skin of a human, but colored in light red with yellow and blue whirls. Her hair was silver, and streaked with yellow. She was naked as the day she was born, her skin steamed as water poured onto it. She threw a hand up to hide her ample breasts, but Deonideas had seen enough.

"You're mine, now."

She shot him an incredulous look.

He didn't smile.

----

I hope that's worthy of a cover, or something. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:14:55 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »

I just realized that this thread is misnamed. It should be called "DEONIDAS: MANTASY FICTION."
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 08:48:30 pm »

DEONIDEAS THE WANDERER

the sun beat down upon the head of Deonideas as he traversed the desert astride a black horse. His journey was far from over, and he could not count the number of days he'd been out in this treacherous place. Nor could he remember how long he'd gone without food and water. And though he had the fortitude to endure the journey, he doubted that his steed possessed the same hardiness. He knew that eventually the wind and the heat would drive the horse to madness, and that the horse would do all in its power to rid itself of his presence.

Not since Bill the Pony had Deonideas known a steed worthy of bearing him.

Slowly the gleaming sand turned to dunes and rocky hills. Unfortunately The terrain proved to much for the horse - it would not move an foot further. When urged to, it bucked violently, throwing Deonideas from its saddle. The fall did nothing to discomfort the warrior - he had to get off at some point, anyway. landing on two feet, Deonideas faced the unruly beast, which snorted and grunted in a very un-horse like manner. Jerkily glancing from left to right, the horse moved steadily closer.

He had seen this before. Soon the horse would try to kill him, that he was sure of.

Just as he'd predicted, the horse charged, kicking up its front hooves and letting out a shrill whinny. Its hooves came down like iron weights, but Deonideas was too quick for them. He raised his hands and caught each hoof, and with a sharp twisting motion threw the horse onto its back. He drove his foot into the horse's head and snapped its neck from its spine. With that ordeal over he turned to the rocky wasteland that lay before him. Taking vigil atop a high crag, he gazed over the desolation and spied his goal:

A great abandoned city, surmounted by three dark towers - The Lair of the cyclops Deonideainaeodaiousa, his hated rival.

They had fought before, and in that struggle the fel creature escaped with Deonideas' axe imbedded in his shoulder. He had sworn not to wield another blade until he had reclaimed the axe that was made for him, and with it reclaim his honour and his pride. Deonideas dismounted the rocky hill and turned towards the city, but something caught his eye - from the shadow of some great crag stepped a decrepit figure, a withered old man in a greying cloak.

"lo, traveler! It seems that trial and misfortune follow you wherever you go..." he called, his creaking voice hiding a slight chuckle.

the warrior stopped in his tracks. "what makes you say that?"

"only a fate frought with peril could have brought you to this place..." He hissed.

Deonideas cocked his head to the side. "you threatening me?"

"No, only a fair warning. You are aware that beyond these hills lies the lair of the One-Eyed God?" He said, his voice showing subtle hints of mockery.

"That's just what I'm here for." Deonideas replied, and started back on the path to the city.

"foolish youngster..." muttered the old man. Deonideas' stride faltered. He turned, staring into the faded eyes of the decrepit figure.

"shut up, Old man."

The cloaked figure's knees buckled, and he fell to the sandy earth clutching at his heart. Deonideas left the scene without so much as a backward glance.

After all, His journey was far from over.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 08:51:19 pm »

By the way, fault, for this manly, manly thread, you've been nominated.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »

aww you guys are awesome

Deonideas and the Woman of Fire by Magnus Überman

would you mind making up your own manly author name? I think'd it'd get pretty stale if we all used the same one.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:05:44 pm by Fault »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13