Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

What mainstream game is Dwarf Fortress like?

<< < (8/8)

beniliusbob:
There are a lot of games that possess DF-like gameplay. But the depth of history, personalities, and quirky events that Dwarf Fortress spawns is, in my opinion, rivaled only by Paradox Entertainment's "Crusader Kings," which let you take control of, not a European kingdom, but a European dynasty--i.e., you might not remain the King of France or the Duke of Orleans, but you will always be the Capet family. The world of CK creates--both by random generation and as a result of the player's choices over the course of 400 years of gameplay--in depth characters with extended families and courts, heirs, bastards, and ex-wives assassinated for their lack of fertility (and/or for t3h lulz), where each character is individualized by enemies, friends, old wounds, strengths, weaknesses, jealous ambitions, rival claims to titles and land, etc. The gameplay is radically different, but in terms of the level of attachment and enjoyment gained through sheer volume of details--as well as the presence of "fun" generated by constant random historical/personal/political events, with the possibilities multiplied by the player's reactions--there's no game experience more similar to DF... in my humble opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version