Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grinding in MMORPGs  (Read 2320 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grinding in MMORPGs
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 02:09:38 am »

strong arms does not a nimble fingered, silver tongued bastard make.

Oh but does it enhance the bastard
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 02:21:32 am »

strong arms does not a nimble fingered, silver tongued bastard make.

Oh but does it enhance the bastard

Aye, it does

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:23 am »

Also, FlyFF is even more of a grind game for profit than WoW
The only positive factor for FlyFF is that one is not bound to the ground. Just as how Maplestory has the feature of being a platformer and free, and how RO has... well, most everything. Unfortunately they are all foiled by this grinding problem.

Still, they all have some cool concept that draws us in. I just wish they would stop botching it. I mean, nobody else seems to try and attempt these ideas. Well, Outspark, but they don't do any better.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »

Fun and exciting minigames.
-Eliminate the grind in grinding.
Extensive rewards system.
-Gone are the days when the only reward is a higher level, now you actually get to use that book-binding skill for something.
Massive quest rewards.
-If you can handle the questing (actual quests, mind you, not some lame "kill 3 rats" bullshit), you can save hours of tiring work.

Runescape tried this and failed.
If done right though, I feel these are the best ways to handle grinding.
Very cool, this sounds about right to me.  RO has nice quest rewards these days, but, as a lvl 94 high priest, there's virtually no reason to grind to 99 besides a few more stat points.  Runescape has very intriguing quests, but fear of death (even for RO) discourages adventuring, people in RO even call it the death penalty.  You even have to grind to qualify for certain quests, and for some skills, the combination of exp requirements and rarity of materials that give the best exp makes the grind slower and more painful.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:16 pm »

Puzzle Pirates has minigame grinding, but it steel feels like grinding.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 08:46:15 am »

Come to think of it, Sonic Adventure: Battle 2 had an RPG element to it (it was actually a decent game, not the utter crap the recent Sonic games are).  There was a side mini-game where you raised cute little creatures named Chao.  They had stats that could level up, and you leveled them up by feeding them Chaos Drives, which you got from killing robots in the main game.  It always took the same amount of Drives to increase their stats, and you could only bring in 10 from each mission, and that seemed to serve the game well enough.  Although with an MMO, that could get boring, since most of the robots you fought early on were pretty much the same much later.
Pages: 1 [2]